Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TreborA4
  • 1 Post By A3sportbackrob

Thread: Europe driving headlight conversion

Reverse Gear

Status

Europe driving headlight conversion

Just a quick question over light conversion to enable driving in Europe. I had an Octavia a few years back and it had a shutter in the headlight unit that removed the requirement for deflectors being stuck onto the lens. Does the standard halogen unit on the 8v have a similar feature?
    Last edited by Ishj; 6th June 2013 at 21:27.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I guess you mean conversion and not conversation!
    NHN likes this.
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 150ps S Line
    Glacier White, Perforated Alcantara leather seats, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advanced Key, Audi Sound System, Hill-hold Assist, Comfort Package, Electric Lumbar Support - Front Seats, Interior Light Package, Open Sky Panoramic Sunroof, Sat Nav SD Card Based, Dab Digital Radio, Through Load Facility, Debadged.

Changed from A4 Avant S Line executive pack, Ibis white on 28.3.13

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishj View Post
    Just a quick question over light conversation to enable driving in Europe. I had an Octavia a few years back and it had a shutter in the headlight unit that removed the requirement for deflectors being stuck onto the lens. Does the standard halogen unit on the 8v have a similar feature?
    You need to check your manual to see if it has accessible levers to switch beam lower or not.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TreborA4 View Post
    I guess you mean conversion and not conversation!

opps thanks.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    You need to check your manual to see if it has accessible levers to switch beam lower or not.
    Will do when I get the car. The wait has been so long, well it feels that way.

5th Gear

Status
    Would be interested to know whether the Xenons need adjusting for continental driving too.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Cannot this be done from the Car section of the MMI screen. I'm sure I saw this on the one I test drove a couple of weeks ago.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I would expect so for xenons, but unless they've tied the manual height adjustment in some halogens, to mmi tourist mode aswell, then doubtful.

5th Gear

Status
    Just been out to check, and no - there's no option to adjust the headlights in the MMI.
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Neutral

Status
    Finally after a chat with two local dealers I can give the answer that is kind of written in the book. The supplying dealer told me on the phone that my xenon's need to be changed by the dealer not as per the mentioned process through the mmi in the book. They did say they would do this free of charge but I was close to another dealer and armed with my manual I went in and got to the bottom of it.

They had just been on a course on the new A3 and confirmed that as loosely mentioned in the manual that no adjustment is needed!

This is because the beam pattern no longer has the kick up on the left hand side it is flat so this is deemed acceptable for driving aboard so all we have to do is just change the digital speedo to kmh and we are away.

I think this could be the same on the halogens but I think it has an option on the mmi for if you have cornering lights or what ever they are called.

Hope this helps
    mjcourtney likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    That is very useful to know! Thanks

6th Gear

Status
    That's strange - I wonder why they changed the beam pattern like that. On the configurator for the adaptive lights it clearly shows the beam pattern being 'longer' on the left in the diagram too. Does this mean the lights aren't as effective?
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    They are very good but they are just flat and wide not kicking up in the air as they used to be.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I'm going to ask some questions to a mastertech friend, some people on mainly service desks don't know what they're talking about, they maybe correct for once, but I'd prefer a technician to confirm

Neutral

Status
    NHN - That would be great, im picking my Sportback up on Saturday and im off to France a week later so would really appreciate knowing if i can avoid having to buy the stick-on deflectors. ive got standard headlights on my sport so any specifics about these headlamps would be welcomed.
    cheers

6th Gear

Status
    I'm looking at the Workshop manual which I received today, and it says the following:

Adapting headlights for driving on the left or right side of the road - halogen headlights
    No adjustments need to be made to the headlights when travelling in countries where the vehicle is driven on the other side of the road.
    Adapting headlights for driving on the left or right side of the road - gas discharge headlights without cornering light
    When travelling in countries where the vehicle is to be driven on the other side of the road, both headlights must be adjusted to prevent dazzling by the asymmetric dipped beam.
    Procedure
    – The headlights are adapted for driving on the left or right via the multimedia system operating unit → Vehicle Owner's Manual.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    That sounds more like it, but I still cant see halogens not needing adjusting at all.

Neutral

Status
    cool, that's good enough for me. Cheers

5th Gear

Status
    I can't find any setting in the MMI for adjusting my xenons.

6th Gear

Status
    Strange. Not sure then - can't find any other reference to it in there.

6th Gear

Status
    Perhaps its an option that needs enabling with a vcds first?

Neutral

Status
    As I said earlier from the master tec they have flat beam pattern so no need for any changes to be made. You only have the option on the mmi if you adaptive lights.

6th Gear

Status
    Ah, that would explain it, though the workshop manual / elsawin doesn't seem to distinguish between the xenons with the adaptive function or not.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3sportbackrob View Post
    As I said earlier from the master tec they have flat beam pattern so no need for any changes to be made. You only have the option on the mmi if you adaptive lights.
    This makes sense. I had the option on my A4 in the MMI, but not on the A3.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro