Cancel dealer order and go to broker?

RossR

Reaction score
I've had a dealer order in place for a month now. To be honest I didn't get a great discount. At the time I didn't mind paying for what I expected to be a smoother process and the Audi PCP rate made it look comparable to drivethedeal's offer.
Since then I've been repeatedly disappointed by broken promises from the dealer. I've also discovered that orange wheels would accept a part ex and I could still get the Audi finance.
So now I'm considering cancelling my dealer order and starting again with Orange Wheels. I reckon I'll be £1000 better off even if I lose my deposit. That could pay for a few options (B&O upgrade, heated seats & mono.pur) Pretty sure I'll miss September delivery anyway, as my dealer has not got a build slot for me.
I don't know how best to broach the subject with the dealership though?
Any advice appreciated.

Threaten to cancel and I'm sure they will suddenly become a lot more attentive...

I'd contact them and outline your concerns and why you are unhappy and tell them you are considering taking the order elsewhere - you might get some luck then.

I nearly did this a while ago when the dealer suddenly lost interest in keeping me updated as soon as they thought they had my order - I was even going to ask my credit card company to issue a chargeback for the deposit based on the fact that they trying to add cost that we didn't agree on, but I emailed my dealer and said all this and all of a sudden they were very apologetic and sorted everything out.

Im about to order my 4th A3 v soon. I have used orangewheels once and since I got put in touch with the dealer they used for my order I went straight back to the same contact at the dealership bypassing orangewheels. However after I got my latest last March my contact emailed me to tell me he was leaving audi after donkeys years to work for a contract hire company supplying fleet/private.

Called him last week and sure enough he came up trumps in an hour...needless to say he gave me a cracking price (on audi PCP) and is calling me back next week to discuss further. As he supplies all makes he even offered me his Golf Mk7 GT Tdi to test to see if I fancy that over the new A3! As it happens I wont take him up on the offer as to spec up a GT to Sline A3 will cost a stupid amount. So my advice bypass the dealer theyre usually pixie shoe wearing, jedward hair style jumped up little chavs or just plain ignorant....I haven't even bothered my dealer 5 miles away instead im going to a dealer miles away when the order is placed. For me its worth it any day.

If you want details of my supplier PM he's a lovely bloke!

I've had a dealer order in place for a month now. To be honest I didn't get a great discount. At the time I didn't mind paying for what I expected to be a smoother process and the Audi PCP rate made it look comparable to drivethedeal's offer.
Since then I've been repeatedly disappointed by broken promises from the dealer. I've also discovered that orange wheels would accept a part ex and I could still get the Audi finance.
So now I'm considering cancelling my dealer order and starting again with Orange Wheels. I reckon I'll be £1000 better off even if I lose my deposit. That could pay for a few options (B&O upgrade, heated seats & mono.pur) Pretty sure I'll miss September delivery anyway, as my dealer has not got a build slot for me.
I don't know how best to broach the subject with the dealership though?
Any advice appreciated.

Give them a chance to address your concerns. If that doesn't work out then definitely look elsewhere. Pretty good prices being given by brokers at the moment (almost unbelievable really given margins).

My local dealer is 5 miles away, I bought my car from a dealer 2.5 hours away because the price and deal was 10x better. Dont be afraid to try different dealers. The dealer I used in the end competed with even the very best discounts quoted by the brokers.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've drafted an e-mail to the salesman setting out my concerns in a frank but polite manner. I'll probably send it first thing in the morning.

Well. I sent the email this morning. In an amazing coincidence at 9:05 I was given a build week! 12th August so early September delivery. I think they can afford to offer me a little more though.

Well. I sent the email this morning. In an amazing coincidence at 9:05 I was given a build week! 12th August so early September delivery. I think they can afford to offer me a little more though.

Thats good news :)!, I would ask them to match orange wheels see what they say? I have done so in my local area and have Warrington, Liverpool and Cheshire Oaks Audi all offering to match the discount available through drive the deal and orange wheels, which is around 8-9% off list price otr

I got close to the drivethedeal price with mine (not quite matched) but did get a much better finance quote which beats it, so I'm paying less overall to them

Never had any issues with dealers in Aberdeen, always kept us informed and great service.

Sorry to be side with the dealer here, but you signed a contract and left a deposit. they have spent time with you and now you want them to make the deal cheaper because you could have got it cheaper elsewhere?

Seems a little unfair imoa. They have done all the legwork so far and then you tell them you want money off or you will cancel. I doubt you will get any money back and deservedly so.

Put the shoe on the other foot and ask how you'd feel if they came back and said they have someone who will buy your car and give them more money so unless you pay them more you would loose your order and have to start all over again?

unless the dealer is really poor or the car turns up not as ordered you should really stick by your guns and proceed with the deal. No offence intended just an opinion of course.

I can see both sides of the argument. I would say it's only fair to think about walking away from the deal if they haven't addressed your concerns (which are valid). It sounds like they have now at least given you a build date, which is a good start.

Totally but surely the whole point of the contract is so both the dealer and the purchaser are shown to be in agreement?

just because the OP has seen it cheaper elsewhere that doesn't mean they should expect the dealer to match it. I've had family deal with brokers in the past an the level of service has always been below par compared to a good dealer. The other way to look at it is the OP wouldn't expect the price agreed to go up so why should it go down?

It's a buyers market out there but if everyone buys from brokers who have no running costs compared to the dealers where will we go to test drive and drool over the cars themselves?

I agree that walking away purely because it can be found cheaper elsewhere is not really acceptable. I would only consider leaving the deal if the dealer didn't provide the service that was expected, after all, you pay a premium at a dealer for the face to face customer service.

I'm not expecting them to match a broker price, although I know a lot of people on here have achieved that with dealers. I'm also expecting that if I did cancel they would keep my deposit, to compensate them for the time they've spent.

As I understand it, orange wheels isn't a true broker. They represent one chain of dealers that they are owned by. They simply cut out the haggling stage by offering their best price straight up.

I tend to find drivethedeal prices usually cheaper than Orange wheels.

They've offered me a bit more of a discount. Still a long way off the brokers, but I'm happy.

I've also upped my spec a bit :)

What options did you add? And has it affected your build date?
When I ordered mine I went back twice to add options and didn't affect build date.

I added heated seats and upgraded from Audi sound to B&O. No mention of it affecting build week but I'll check when I go in tomorrow morning.

I added heated seats and upgraded from Audi sound to B&O. No mention of it affecting build week but I'll check when I go in tomorrow morning.

Nice options. Hope you get your car soon!

I ordered mine end of march, added 2 options 2 weeks later, then mid may added the xenon light package. Dealer said adding option wouldn't change build week of 32. Ahhhhhh this is a long wait...............

I got my dealer to better the broker deal... BUT I did that at the time of contract, not after. It's important to do all your legwork before you enter into a contract and not after - come to the dealer last and with a clear idea of what you can get elsewhere. After I drove the A3 I went and got 2 different broker offers on the car I wanted as well as prices for a 1 series and Golf. I then had these to help me getting a deal with the Audi dealer.

I actually think the dealers prefer if you work it this way as well. Its the fairest way of doing things to all parties.