What do i order 1.4tfsi 'COD' or 2.0tdi SB sline?

chiefwiggumpi

Reaction score
Not been on for ages sorry guys but need some advice.....current A3 SB BE 2.0tdi in Monza Silver is a cracking car except the suspension is pretty firm at times....so we have a new born due Nov and as such when it comes to replacing our current A3 (Its only 16 months old now) well no doubt not be able to afford a decent spec so im thinking ahead and timing delivery of a new SB in time with our child being born in Nov.

Spoke to my usual contact yesterday offered prices happy with them but my mind got wondering last night do i opt for the 1.4tfsi 140bhp which is new and v clever or stick with my 4th 2.0tdi?

I know the engine weighs less, less insurance, lighter on the front end so probably grips well in the 1.4 but MrsC has always loved the tdi.

My contact is a an independent car supplier so was offered a Golf GT but with no xenons, no climate control that rules that out for me versus the s line. Checked out colours and love the daytona grey (predicatble) but i think it looks cracking. So my only decision is which engine?

Current car has only done 12,300 in 16 months so really we dont need an oil burner. My thought was residual value of the petrol v diesel??

Also think im going for SE suspension this time as well is that a mistake? Roads near me are crap and i have to admit current BE is just too firm over potholes and rubbish roads sadly.

Any help in my choice all appreciated!

Hi, for me, I'm not sure why you would be replacing a fairly new Audi A3 SB for a new one when you have a new born on the way but there you go, each to your own...but get leather interior to mop up the sick!

I would go for the COD with SE Spec suspension by the way

Hi, for me, I'm not sure why you would be replacing a fairly new Audi A3 SB for a new one when you have a new born on the way but there you go, each to your own...but get leather interior to mop up the sick!

Main reason I went for 2.0tdi over the 1.4 CoD was in my current 1.4TFSI I find it slightly slow to react at motorway/dual carriageway speeds when carrying 3 or more people so wanted the extra torque but expect your driving styles might be more moderate with a little one in the back so maybe the 1.4 COD might be better choice for you along with the mileage you do probably does not warrant the oil burner if total cost of ownership is a factor

Everyone keeps referring to 'Daytona Grey' - is it not 'Dakota Grey'?

Everyone keeps referring to 'Daytona Grey' - is it not 'Dakota Grey'?

Daytona Grey is the S-Line Exclusive Pearl Paint, the other you refer to is a standard metallic paint. Big difference between the two.

Dakota Grey is a metallic available for all models. Daytona Grey is only available for the S-Line.

OP, if I were you I'd want to test the 1.4 TFSI COD engine first before making any decision. It'll likely to be impossible to get the Audi version to test drive but you could try the Golf GT ACT version with the same engine.

I picked up my cod about 20 mins ago...I'll let you know how it drives....have only driven 4 miles!

As usual quick replies thanks guys. I'm tempted by the COD been looking at it today at work. Figures look good my concern was if I'm going to regret going back to a petrol?

I understand its the last thing to think about about but come nov/dec when the car should arrive if I order one then it will only leave us just ver a year to save more money for a replacement as we're on a 3 Year deal with audi finance. So I was thinking swap earlier as for most of next year one wage will make it too difficult to save up for a bigger deposit, this way it's another financial issue on the horizon sorted if hat makes sense?

Plus what my contact told me about residual value of my current A3 could be in future meant I would have to forgo another s line. Not an issue but this way hopefully we keep a new A3 for 3years?! If you're on the finance wheel you'll see what I mean!

Main reason I went for 2.0tdi over the 1.4 CoD was in my current 1.4TFSI I find it slightly slow to react at motorway/dual carriageway speeds when carrying 3 or more people so wanted the extra torque but expect your driving styles might be more moderate with a little one in the back so maybe the 1.4 COD might be better choice for you along with the mileage you do probably does not warrant the oil burner if total cost of ownership is a factor

Thats my worry, had use of a Leon 1.4tfsi hire car for ages last year it was quicker than I thought so it surprised me what the engine could do.

Certainly wont be driving fast we don't now at all just occasionAlly when you join motorways or overtaking safely I need power, infant sometimes I would rate my diesel as slow sometimes it's quick depends on the gearing I guess.

OP, if I were you I'd want to test the 1.4 TFSI COD engine first before making any decision. It'll likely to be impossible to get the Audi version to test drive but you could try the Golf GT ACT version with the same engine.

thats my plan, I thought audi wouldn't offer to lend me one as I fell out with my local dealer yonks ago! I'll try vw though.

I picked up my cod about 20 mins ago...I'll let you know how it drives....have only driven 4 miles!

brill please do or pm thanks!