Have they changed S-Tronic for the 8V?

nothingness

Reaction score
On almost every review I read it says something like

"but comes standard with the jerky S-Tronic gearbox".

Well I have owned two cars with this now, my current 03 a3 tdi DSG which is pretty smooth tbh, only jerky when I put it in reverse... and my deceased 07 2.0 TFSI S-Tronic, which was super smooth, I couldn't get over the difference over the DSG tdi car.

So surely a brand new one should be ultra smooth as well, have they changed it or do you think the likes of Autocar just need to say something bad about it?

I am tempted to test drive one, tbh.

It seems they're using a combination of 6 and 7 speed DSG boxes, based on which engine you buy (higher torque engines require the 6 speed box). Reading between the lines, people seem to dislike the 7 speed box, for various reasons. Both your previous DSG's will have been 6 speed I assume, so this adds more weight to the "6 speed good, 7 speed bad" theory

I've had 2 six speed DSGs and am now on my second 7 speed DSG, all with petrol engines, and they've all been seemlessly smooth, no jerkiness whatever, not even at crawling pace in traffic jams. The only noticeable difference with this latest one is that 'S' is not a discrete position in the selector gate.
There are several 7 speed DSG boxes used by Audi, some dry, some wet, whereas the 6 speeds are all wet.

The new 7 speed with wet cluth should be an improvement over the 6 speeds one. It equipes the RS3.