Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cemerson

Thread: Had enough of this damned clock!

6th Gear

Status

Had enough of this damned clock!

The clock saga continues!

After the car went in to the dealer and they "recalibrated" it so the summer time option reappeared, I then noticed, as others had, that the programme times on the DAB were all over the place and would often end up several hours ahead of when they should be.

I notified the dealer of this but they never got back to me and I ended up turning off the programme info.

The latest is that the summer time option once again disappeared so I reverted back to setting the time-zone to a European one an hour ahead. This has now decided to reset itself to GMT twice now!

Basically the clock is utterly broken when using GPS time during BST. I am far from happy about this - a £30k car with £2k worth of Tech Pack and DAB options and they can't even get the clock to work properly. I will be reading the dealer the riot act when I next pop in!
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    It's just a clock, yeah?

6th Gear

Status
    yep, one that can't actually keep time
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    It's just a clock, yeah?
    Owch!

Petrol... fire.... red rag.... bull....

Can't you see the man's wounded.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1 View Post

After the car went in to the dealer and they "recalibrated" it so the summer time option reappeared, I then noticed, as others had, that the programme times on the DAB were all over the place and would often end up several hours ahead of when they should be.

I notified the dealer of this but they never got back to me and I ended up turning off the programme info.

The latest is that the summer time option once again disappeared so I reverted back to setting the time-zone to a European one an hour ahead. This has now decided to reset itself to GMT twice now!

Basically the clock is utterly broken when using GPS time during BST. I am far from happy about this - a £30k car with £2k worth of Tech Pack and DAB options and they can't even get the clock to work properly. I will be reading the dealer the riot act when I next pop in!
    How do you get DAB programme times to display? I have DAB with the standard system... dont seem to get times?

6th Gear

Status
    It's a setting but should be on by default. Only some stations broadcast it though - all the main BBC ones do.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    It's just a clock, yeah?
    That's not the point, think about it a bit more, other systems rely on eachother, obviously this time issue is affecting things in other areas, hence his posting & tbh quite rightly he should be getting annoyed a little, it should work correctly on a new car with a technology pack of that nature, infact given its the most simplistic function most cars have these days, then there really is no sensible reason why it shouldn't be working as designed & sold.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

6th Gear

Status
    I noticed this on the month old 8V I had during the week.

Was poking through the MMI and switched the GPS clock on and low and behold, it doesn't understand BST!

2nd Gear

Status
    I work in software and can tell you dates and times are a really common source of bugs. It's all too easy to make incorrect assumptions such as 60 seconds in a minute, 24 hours in a day or 52 weeks in a year. It's difficult to test thoroughly too. How do you check what's going to happen next time the GPS clocks rollover?

None of this is an excuse though. Daylight savings changes are hardly unique to Britain!

Audi used to use a Radio Controlled clock in cars made for the continental europe market but never fitted them to UK models. Not sure why because I have a watch and an alarm clock both of which get their update signals from the German transmitter. Once set up to be one hour different in time to Germany they both work fine and have no problem resetting to suit summer time. The watch is also solar powered so the only time I do anything with it is to press a button to change the time when I go to Europe. Seems like the change to a GPS clock is a step backwards.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tha_ben View Post
    How do you get DAB programme times to display? I have DAB with the standard system... dont seem to get times?
    Neither do I, on any station. Maybe it's a feature of the Tech pack ?

Another annoyance is that the radio text screen is not persistent. If you set it under the 'functions' menu, it just reverts to the station list the next time you start the car, even though it specifically states that the last displayed screen should be retained in the manual. I get the impression that the Audi MMI is a bit of an amateurish effort, not subject to rigorous software developments standards.

Not impressed.

4th Gear

Status
    It sounds to me as though the time display is not working as intended, especially when used in conjunction with DAB.
    I assume the user manual dosnt go into sufficient detail describing the time operation.

Does anyone know the official way of reporting software bugs to Audi? maybe this is one that needs addressing.
    Last edited by A3sportbackMark; 2nd June 2013 at 12:05.
    1st sept 2013 collection, proudly owning:
    A3 Sportback SE 1.6 TDI, scuba blue, folding mirrors, hill assist, SD sat nav, Xenon light package.

6th Gear

Status
    Presume through the dealer - definitely a warranty item! Would it be a good idea to list them all somewhere in a thread so people can check their cars and report them to Audi?
    A3sportbackMark likes this.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Presume through the dealer - definitely a warranty item! Would it be a good idea to list them all somewhere in a thread so people can check their cars and report them to Audi?
    Yes definitely.
    And also the software version number (assuming it is available).

4th Gear

Status
    Maybe contact with Audi uk may be appropriate. From reading these forums, New owners with issues appear to get quick action from Audi uk as opposed to their local dealers. This will provide a central place of the issue and greater visibility to Audi.

There is a possibility that we are all missing something when using the clock with DAB, however, after reading vertigos post, even the dealer couldn't sort it out.

This feature of DAB and clock is in its infancy, in my experience the best testing is when the customer do things that formal software testing does not capture, especially in different country's. This of course does not excuse audi, it is their responsibility.

Vertigo is the first to have highlighted the issue, but since DAB is now to become standard, many of us (including me) will be taking delivery of our new audis with DAB.

If everyone who has issues with this makes a complaint, hopefully Audi will address the problem and provide a satisfactory workaround until a new software version is available.

....... I need to lie down now...lol
    Last edited by A3sportbackMark; 2nd June 2013 at 14:40.
    A3 Sportback SE 1.6 TDI, scuba blue, folding mirrors, hill assist, SD sat nav, Xenon light package.

4th Gear

Status
    Basically the clock is utterly broken when using GPS time during BST.
    Vertigo, have you had any luck with this?

6th Gear

Status
    Yeh, I would keep on at Audi UK tbh until they give a solution, shouldn't have to put up with it. They are being too slow in coming up with a fix. I bet if it was known about and looked at by the software ppl, it could be fixed easily enough and rolled out.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    What exactly is the issue here?
    I've no problem - have time set by GPS, time zone to UK, manual summer time on and everything is correct, time (obviously) and DAB EPG guide.
    Or am I missing something?
    A3 2.0 TDI Sportback Sport : Scuba Blue : Xenon Light Pack : Technology Pack : Audi Sound System : DAB : Hill Hold Assist : Comfort Pack....
    and Sport Suspension

6th Gear

Status
    Read my various comments. Summertime option has vanished twice and DAB programme times are always going wrong. It's booked in again this week

1st Gear

Status
    Read my various comments. Summertime option has vanished twice and DAB programme times are always going wrong. It's booked in again this week
    Very odd. Certainly seems to be a fault there somewhere but I don't think its necessarily a software error - as stated mine works perfectly well.
    A3 2.0 TDI Sportback Sport : Scuba Blue : Xenon Light Pack : Technology Pack : Audi Sound System : DAB : Hill Hold Assist : Comfort Pack....
    and Sport Suspension