Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gazzz

Thread: GALA

3rd Gear

Status

GALA

Tried the GALA system the other day, but even with it turned almost all the way up, I cannot really discern any change in volume as the speed increases. Anyone else found this, or is my system broken ?

(I have the standard sound system).
    A3 Sportback 8V 1.4 TFSI SE

2. # ADS
    ADS

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    You maybe able to adjust the GALA settings with VCDS, you can do this on the 8P. I'm yet to tinker with an 8V so Im not sure if this is possible!
    Audi A3 2.0TFSI S Line SE DSG

JMB Retrofits - North East Retrofit Company

1st Gear

Status
    I had to turn mine back a notch becasue it increased too much...

Think I have it at the mid position now
    A3 2.0 TDI Sportback Sport : Scuba Blue : Xenon Light Pack : Technology Pack : Audi Sound System : DAB : Hill Hold Assist : Comfort Pack....
    and Sport Suspension

5th Gear

Status
    Mine increases noticably when the engine starts to compensate for the additional noise, keep meaning to turn it down.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Neutral

Status
    I would say that something is wrong with yours or something isn't set right as mine is very noticeable and as jet Andy said, I turned mine down as it seems to over compensate when on a basey tune.
    Glacier White 1.8TFSI A3 S-Line 3-door S-Tronic, Nuff said....

3rd Gear

Status
    Just tried it again set to maximum, and it makes absolutely no difference. As the speed increases, the volume stays exactly the same.

5th Gear

Status
    If you sit stationery with the engine running and the music on, does it get quieter when the engine is switched off? It should do...
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcourtney View Post
    If you sit stationery with the engine running and the music on, does it get quieter when the engine is switched off? It should do...
    No, the volume stays the same.

5th Gear

Status
    Unless that's a feature specific to the B&O it sounds like there is a fault.

1st Gear

Status
    Doesn't the B&O system have a microphone to detect cabin noise and compensate? Or did I make that up? Not sure if that's any help in the diagnosis
    cemerson likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    It doesn't say that GALA is specific to B&O in the manual, so I assume it is supposed to work with the standard audio setup.
    My old 8P had Bose, and that did vary the volume according to background noise, but GALA is meant to be purely speed dependent.

Neutral

Status
    I avevth standard Bose and the gala works, I find that volume itself seems to just not get any louder sometimes.
    Glacier White 1.8TFSI A3 S-Line 3-door S-Tronic, Nuff said....

181 BHP

Status
    Would appear that I have a problem with my Gala, car now 2 days old and I have noticed that there is no compensation at all - I have the Gala turned to Max and there is no increase in the volume of radio etc what so ever. Will be calling in at dealers today. Not a good start to my Audi experience....I assume that as I have the Audi Sound system and Gala is in the menu it should work?
    Last edited by andy203; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:40.
    Proud Owner - A3 Sportback 2 lt Quattro - S Line - Daytona Grey

2nd Gear

Status
    Yes it should.... and 0 is the correct setting IMHO

2nd Gear

Status
    Hated Gala in the previous 8P and turned it off in the new one - too unpredictable.
    Arrived - 8V A3 1.4tfsi COD S-Line Sportback S-Tronic, Daytona Grey, Audi Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Light & Rain Sensor, Alu Roof Rails, Privacy Glass, Non Smokers Pack, Deletion of model & technology.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andy203 View Post
    Would appear that I have a problem with my Gala, car now 2 days old and I have noticed that there is no compensation at all - I have the Gala turned to Max and there is no increase in the volume of radio etc what so ever. Will be calling in at dealers today. No a good start to my Audi experience....I assume that as I have the Audi Sound system and Gala is in the menu it should work?
    I gave up with this. After two trips back to the dealer, they claimed that it does work, but that it only applies a very small amount of volume increase. So it's useless basically.

181 BHP

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen View Post
    I gave up with this. After two trips back to the dealer, they claimed that it does work, but that it only applies a very small amount of volume increase. So it's useless basically.
    Well popped in at the dealers and they say they are unable to find a fault, only had it 2 days so will give it a try for some more miles and see. The system on my Ford, BMW, and VW Golf worked fine, you could notice the difference. May be I'm getting older and my ears are not so sensitive!!! I may yet have to agree with mfspen's comment.

6th Gear

Status
    I have mine set to the minimum (without being off) and the effect is very noticeable.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

181 BHP

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    I have mine set to the minimum (without being off) and the effect is very noticeable.
    Thanks for the info, from my previous experience I would have thought it should be noticeable, as you say it is with yours. Will wait and try and see what happens. Question does the number displayed in Volume increase when you pick up speed ie. on motorway and cabin noise increases? If it does - then I do have a fault as I had the volume set at 6, pulled onto dual carriage way and speed noise increased looked at volume number and it was still showing 6

6th Gear

Status
    No, the actual volume number you set doesn't change. Try it a bit louder - 6 seems very low. Perhaps it only kicks in over a certain level?
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

181 BHP

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    No, the actual volume number you set doesn't change. Try it a bit louder - 6 seems very low. Perhaps it only kicks in over a certain level?
    Many thanks for that info, will try setting the Volume louder and see what happens. Just out of interest what is you standard volume setting for the radio?

2nd Gear

Status
    I have ASS and it is noticeable, but does NOT change the volume number. My normal listening levels are 11ish for background and 15-20ish for louder (tuned to Planet Rock on DAB normally). In my car, the SD card is quieter than radio and that often gets to one or two off maximum GALA is set to off though....

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by manmoth View Post
    I would say that something is wrong with yours or something isn't set right as mine is very noticeable and as jet Andy said, I turned mine down as it seems to over compensate when on a basey tune.
    I would agree with this comment, Gala is very noticeable.
    Steeve

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    GALA on mine is a pain. Adjusts it too much. Turned it off now.
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

6th Gear

Status
    I normally use 15 or 20 for loud, maybe 10 if I want it quiet, a bit lower still if I have passengers

5th Gear

Status
    The GALA function on the new S3 is the worst I have ever experienced in any car. It smacks to me of Audi trying to be too clever by using microphones to detect the level to set it at etc. I have it turned right down as it's so unpredictable and I just wish there was an option to set it to vehicle speed only like the old days.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

6th Gear

Status
    The microphone thing only applies to B&O though, the rest are just linked directly with the speed you are going.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow oufc1976 On Twitter
    The road noise inside the car is so minimal why would you want the volume to change?
    8V A3 Saloon 2.0 TDi S-Line. Daytona Grey. SD Sat Nav. Privacy Glass.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by oufc1976 View Post
    The road noise inside the car is so minimal why would you want the volume to change?
    My sline A3 is way louder than my other car on the road (Skoda Superb).

Mjs
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Had to turn my right down on the B&O, was just too much variance to be useful.

1st Gear

Status
    Agree with Mjs - just back from 'run-in' trip to N Wales and the volume in my car (B&O) goes up too much... Haven't worked out how to change it yet tho... :-/

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen View Post
    It doesn't say that GALA is specific to B&O in the manual, so I assume it is supposed to work with the standard audio setup.
    GALA does work on Audi Sound System.

To test it, drive at motorway speed with volume ~8-10 and then adjust GALA setting in the MMI whilst car is moving. It's more noticeable if you start with GALA off or in lowest setting and then turn GALA up to max. You should be able to hear the volume increase (but volume number unchanged).

John.
    Enjoying my 8V