EM TuningAH Fabrications

Thread: Audi A3 Avant

1st Gear

Status

Audi A3 Avant

I read in a couple of articles around the time of the Saloon announcement that Audi is seriously considering producing an A3 Avant - it would be based on the saloon version of the car.

Thoughts?

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Maybe too many variants of the model is my initial thoughts.......
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

1st Gear

Status
    Hmmm. I guess from Audi's perspective though it would sell reasonably well. I'm sure there's a few people on here that would like the added practicality.

Personally speaking i'd rather they did a coupe like BMW did with the 1 and now 2 series.

EDIT: Just did a crude Photoshop rendering of an A3 avant

5th Gear

Status
    Isnt the Sportback like an Avant?

Neutral

Status
    Yep, I agree too many variants. Audi will have almost a complete range out of 1 model - hatch, sportback (Avant'ish anyway), mpv, saloon, cabrio, probably a coupe and then an Avant. Might as well just get rid of the rest of range. One stop shop.

Reverse Gear

Status
    This is just as confusing and pointless as the Skoda Rapid Spaceback...

1st Gear

Status
    Sportback is a 5-door hatch. The Avant would be based on the saloon giving it a different shape and size.

Pointless to some I'd agree (It wouldn't interest me) but there are some on here that are switching to VW from an A3 because they need an estate.

Look at all the Golf variants: 3dr, 5dr, estate, cabrio, saloon (jetta), MPV, offroad MPV.

A full Avant version would be useful to me as I use a mobility scooter and it just fits in my current 2012 Sportback but will not fit in a new Sportback because the luggage area is shorter. I will try a Saloon when they are released but an Avant version would be ideal. If not it may have to be a new Golf Estate.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    A full Avant version would be useful to me as I use a mobility scooter and it just fits in my current 2012 Sportback but will not fit in a new Sportback because the luggage area is shorter.
    Do you know how much shorter?
    Overall litre space is supposed to be larger and length of car is actually 4.5cm longer but when I test drove one and looked at the boot space it did not appear as deep but I did not pay much attention to it at the time. However, we have 3 largish family suitcases which fit in nicely with only about 1cm of play so if depth is more than 1cm shorter it will mean a new set of luggage or I will have to buy a roof box and make use of the "decorative" roof rails I have specced.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

Reverse Gear

Status
    EDIT: Just did a crude Photoshop rendering of an A3 avant

[/QUOTE]

I'll take it! The perfect size and beautifully rendered if I may say. Audi need a 4.5m Avant, in my view. The A3 SB is a bit short but I don't want the length of the A4. This looks ideal. Have a feeling it won't be too long after the saloon until we see this anyway.

1st Gear

Status
    Photoshop is excellent. i would sell my A4 avant for that
    Phantom Audi A4 B7 S-Line Avant

Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Do you know how much shorter?
    Overall litre space is supposed to be larger and length of car is actually 4.5cm longer but when I test drove one and looked at the boot space it did not appear as deep but I did not pay much attention to it at the time. However, we have 3 largish family suitcases which fit in nicely with only about 1cm of play so if depth is more than 1cm shorter it will mean a new set of luggage or I will have to buy a roof box and make use of the "decorative" roof rails I have specced.
    I have measured both cars from the inside edge of the bodywork where the tailgate closes to the back of the rear seats and on my existing Sportback it's 770mm whereas on the new Sportback it's 720mm - 50mm shorter.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    I have measured both cars from the inside edge of the bodywork where the tailgate closes to the back of the rear seats and on my existing Sportback it's 770mm whereas on the new Sportback it's 720mm - 50mm shorter.
    Many thanks, much appreciated, and another good reason not to take delivery in early August as the suitcases wont fit.

Does beg the question on how boot space is calculated and where the extra litres come from in the SB - anyone know how boot/luggage space is calculated over and above l x w x h?

I have asked an Audi bootliner company for floorspace dimensions for both cars and will post up here when I get a response.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.