Potential new A3 SB owner

mproudfoot

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been lurking for a wee while on these forums but as I am looking to replace my current Lexus IS with an A3 SB 1.8TFSI S-Line Quattro S-Tronic, I thought I'd register and say hello.

I'm also hoping that you might be able to help clarify a few things for me ahead of my order. Firstly, I believe that in previous versions of the A3, Quattro models used the haldex part-time AWD system. The brochure for the 8V seems to indicate that this is a permanent AWD system - is that the case?

Also, I have a pair of dogs (one small terrier, the other a medium-sized lab) and I'm just looking for opinions from other dog+A3 SB owners as to whether the SB's boot is large enough to transport two dogs (for short trips)?

thanks in advance,

MP

The haldex system is permanent in terms of you can't disable it by switch (although years ago you could disable by removing a fuse... not sure if this is still the case).

The car shifts drive around the wheels with the most traction, so isn't a 'true' mechanical permanent 4WD system like the torsen system is in most A4 and above cars.

Torsen vs Haldex

Haldex is essentially front wheel drive, until it detects the front wheels slipping. Then it sends power to wheels that are not slipping (typically in this case the rear wheels). So it's a part-time 4WD system.

Ah okay, thanks guys, that makes sense - it surprised me when I saw the phrase "Quattro Permanent all-wheel-drive" in the latest brochure but as you say, it must simply mean permanently enabled rather than permanently driving all four wheels.