Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

Potential new A3 SB owner

Hi all, I've been lurking for a wee while on these forums but as I am looking to replace my current Lexus IS with an A3 SB 1.8TFSI S-Line Quattro S-Tronic, I thought I'd register and say hello.

I'm also hoping that you might be able to help clarify a few things for me ahead of my order. Firstly, I believe that in previous versions of the A3, Quattro models used the haldex part-time AWD system. The brochure for the 8V seems to indicate that this is a permanent AWD system - is that the case?

Also, I have a pair of dogs (one small terrier, the other a medium-sized lab) and I'm just looking for opinions from other dog+A3 SB owners as to whether the SB's boot is large enough to transport two dogs (for short trips)?

thanks in advance,

MP

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    The haldex system is permanent in terms of you can't disable it by switch (although years ago you could disable by removing a fuse... not sure if this is still the case).

The car shifts drive around the wheels with the most traction, so isn't a 'true' mechanical permanent 4WD system like the torsen system is in most A4 and above cars.

Torsen vs Haldex
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

Neutral

Status
    Haldex is essentially front wheel drive, until it detects the front wheels slipping. Then it sends power to wheels that are not slipping (typically in this case the rear wheels). So it's a part-time 4WD system.
    2013 A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-tronic, Brilliant Black, Business Sport package, S-line suspension, 18" black "rotor" wheels and Conti 225/40R18 tires, S-line roof spoiler, MMI SD navigation, Audi Sound System, connectivity package, xenon plus headlamps and LED running lights, fog lamps, heated sport seats, aluminum interior trim package, polished window trim, twin chrome exhaust, heated mirrors, removable towing hook, engine block heater

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ah okay, thanks guys, that makes sense - it surprised me when I saw the phrase "Quattro Permanent all-wheel-drive" in the latest brochure but as you say, it must simply mean permanently enabled rather than permanently driving all four wheels.