Test drive in a new A3

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well I've had my first test drive in a new A3. It was a 2.0TDI-150 S-Line s-tronic. Whilst I was not keen on the S-Line suspension it was much better than I thought it would be. The sports seats were also more comfortable than I remember previous sports seats. I will be trying a 2.0TDI-150 SE, probably next week, but it will be a manual and as I have not driven a manual for over 8 years I think I will let my wife be the driver. She has a manual A1.

I did notice the slight drop in power from my current 170 to the test cars 150 but it had only done 750 miles. Quite often I found myself one gear lower than I would normally. Strangely as I drive in tiptronic mode all the time I found myself using the centre lever more than normal because it is set quite a bit higher and comes to hand more easily. I also much prefer the top hinged pedals to my current bottom hinged accelerator.

Using the MMI was no trouble as I did not use it at all whilst driving. When I did try the radio and an SD card I used the controls on the multi-function steering wheel. All the various controls were much the same in feel and Audi quality. I also noticed than if I switched off the Rain Sensor using the MMI the control on the wiper stork became a normal variable interval wiper, so you get the best of both worlds. The rain sensor did seem to work better on the new car as well.

The fog light switches, although different to the current setup, do still cancel whenever the ignition is turned off and with the two individual switches for front and rear fog lights you can have just the rear fog light on without also having to have the front fog lights on.

So will I be changing. I think the answer is no, at least not yet. Having driven the new Skoda Octavia, new Golf and the A3 for a day each when I do change it will be for another A3, but I don't think there is enough about the new A3 to make me want to change early. I do actually still prefer my existing one. I also want to try a new 184ps version and the new A3 Saloon before making any decision. I'm still glad I bought my current A3 when I did.

Reactions: NHN
Did you notice any improvement in the handling compared to your 8P ? I have found that my car is vastly improved in terms of turn-in compared to my old 8P. Body roll is actually less, despite being an SE rather than S-Line previously. But maybe this is down to the new engine being all aluminium compared to cast iron before.

Yes the handling did see better although I put this down to it being S-Line suspension. It's nice to know the SE will be good as well. It was certainly fun to drive but I don't think either of us would want the S-Line suspension for long journeys.

I have 1.4 tfsi Sport on SE suspension and find the handling a vast improvement to my old 2ltr d

Yes the handling did see better although I put this down to it being S-Line suspension. It's nice to know the SE will be good as well. It was certainly fun to drive but I don't think either of us would want the S-Line suspension for long journeys.

I have S-line suspension on my 8V along with the 18" wheels, and I do not find it uncomfortable for long trips. About a week after delivery, I took a 600km return trip. Compared to my previous car, a Golf Mk6 with sport suspension and 17" wheels, I actually felt less tired at the end of each leg of the trip than I did in the Golf. And the sport suspension in the Golf was definitely softer.

I would say the S-line suspension is firm but not harsh. Of course if I was driving cobblestone streets all day I would probably opt for the sport suspension and taller tires, but I definitely like the way it rides. It's really on rails.

I have S-line suspension on my 8V along with the 18" wheels, and I do not find it uncomfortable for long trips. About a week after delivery, I took a 600km return trip. Compared to my previous car, a Golf Mk6 with sport suspension and 17" wheels, I actually felt less tired at the end of each leg of the trip than I did in the Golf. And the sport suspension in the Golf was definitely softer.

I would say the S-line suspension is firm but not harsh. Of course if I was driving cobblestone streets all day I would probably opt for the sport suspension and taller tires, but I definitely like the way it rides. It's really on rails.

Well each to his own but after my drive today I would certainly not want S-Line suspension on my next A3. There are also other things about the S-Line which I would not want as well, so if and when I do order a new A3 it will almost certainly be an SE spec on SE suspension.