Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RossR

Thread: Need your suggestions/help please

b52
    Reverse Gear

Status

Need your suggestions/help please

Hi all,
    Thinking of replacing my toyota rav4 and would like the following please.

Assuming we were friends having a drink and casual conversation. We start talking about cars and i tell you i think about replacing my rav4 with a hatchback version of a car ...

Why would you suggest me (or not) to get the a3 or a3 sb since you already own one of these?

Thanks !

2. # ADS
    ADS

Short Back

Status
    I'd say sportback, but then I'd probably be biased.

Depends on what you need it for! I got the SB so I can carry DIY supplies sometimes or leave my Golf bag in situ.

Got Kids = SB
    Carry the occasional rear seat passengers = SB
    need to carry longer loads or Golf Club set = SB
    Better looking car = SB.

Yoot = HB
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

6th Gear

Status
    I'll always go for practicality over style so SB for me, but if it was based on looks alone I would probably pick the HB.

3rd Gear

Status
    No kids.... 3 door all the way. Otherwise Sportback.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

Neutral

Status
    I have 2 kids but still HB, they love the "foldy chairs" and the Mrs has a 5 door...

b52
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Oh... My mistake.

Thanks all for the replies, but i wasn't referring to a "a3 hatcback or a sb" debate, but to rather an a3 vs the competition one...

In other words why would you recommend me getting an a3 over other models from other brands.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks

2nd Gear

Status
    Depends on your budget, what you need the car for and what you'd like.
    SJW likes this.

SJW
    1st Gear

Status
    Hello B52,

I think it would be easier for you to test drive the A3 8V along with other cars such as VWs / Volvos / BMWs / Merc ? Fords etc... and get a feel for each and which one you prefer. Have you test driven an A3 or any cars as replacements for your Rav?

I think you will need to go out for a spin in several makes of car to make a judgement/assessment for yourself. One persons reasoning for liking an Audi over another make of car might or might not be a reason for you to go the Audi route.

I have chosen the Audi A3 Sportback due to a growing family and this vehicle ticked more boxes (practicality and superficial reasons)over the competition for me in the small family car market. I like how the car looks (both interior and exterior - the latter not to all tastes) and is refined. Audis to me have always had a good safety record and are well built cars. Something that I think is important to consider with a baby on the way.

I have driven a whole raft of cars over the years but the Audi is most certainly a step up in class. My job brings me in to contact with a variety of people with varying degrees of wealth. I did not want a car to be too ostentatious where they think salesman/blingy and not to be driving a car that says hmmm not sure if this should be the guy dealing with our financial/tax planning and investments.

What are your requirements? Are you on the road alot for your job? Do you have a family or not? (HB v Sportback) Do not answer these questions. Just questions to ask yourself.

There are more people in here who can give greater insight on Audis than me. This will be my first Audi. Is this potentially going to be your first Audi?

Agree with Ross who just posted before me!

b52
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks guys!

I m familiar with vag having owned an s3 8l as well as a golf v gti. I m looking for a 5 door hatch and spent the weekend seeing and driving the a3 sb / v40cc / bmw1 + merc a.

Bmw was ruled out due to space in the back, merc to being a bit expensive for what felt to me as inferior quality compared to others.
    A3 + v40cc both tick the boxes and to be quite franc i m equally torn. Test drove them both too.

I m in a 50/50 situation here...

Well as this is an A3 forum I don't think you will get many objective views.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

b52
    Reverse Gear

Status
    I know, i know this is why my op did not request a comparison between these, but why would you suggest to a friend of yours to get an a3 if you knew he was looking for a small family car...

Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Well as this is an A3 forum I don't think you will get many objective views.