Three days of A3 SB Pros and Cons

viperfire

Reaction score
I have the 1.4tfs 122ps S line Sportback:

Pros:

1. Build Quality - Cabin is superb and everything is of top quality. Lovely weighted feel to everything in the car.
2 S Line Sports Suspension - Yes i have it! It's very low but the ride quality is still pretty damn good unless you're going over a particularly bumpy road. The best part is virtually no body roll in corners and you feel like your on rails. Very sure footed even in the uber heavy rain today! The steering is very weighted and responsive (I'll post pics when flickr app decides to work on my phone or i can be bothered to connect it my pc :))
3. SD Sat Nav - Performs admirably and has found a lot of newer roads in my area. The extra display on the DIS is outstanding and really keeps you on track.
4. MMI and Audi Sound System - I've had £2k Focal Utopia systems with JL Audio w7 subs in the past the Audi S S is in my opinion better. True audiophile quality for £250! I'm thinking as it's tailored to the vehicle. Well done Audi!
5. Overall look of the car - A real head turner and everything about it reeks good design and quality.
6. Power of the new 1.4tfsi 122ps engine - My Partner has a 1.4tfsi 122ps a1 yet this thumps it in straight line. Seems overly powerful and you have to be careful with your speed. On a dual carriageway you regularly get near the 100mph mark without even realising it. In 30 zones your suddenly at 50mph, causing me to slow right back down. Very smooth power delivery even in efficiency. Rapid in dynamic.
7. Space - Had four adults in the car and everyone had plenty of space. I'm 6ft 4in and makes a change from people being cramped behind me. Lots of leg room and it's a very wide cabin.
8. Xenons and drls - Look cool as **** and turns many heads. Combined with the comfort pack it give very clear lighting in all conditions. Love the Led bulbs on the number plate, in the boot and the led rear lights and brake lights. Everything is very bright.

Cons:

1. No Reading lights in the front Cabin, non led centre lights, non led glove box, non led vanity mirrors, non led rear cabin lights - Ok so the leds maybe asking for bit much as i didn't get the interior lights pack but then why Led Boot lights?
Also no reading lights in a car the quality of an A3 S Line (the top trim level i may add!)!!! What's going on Audi? I don't think I've owed a car without individual reading lights before and I've had cars since 1999.
A minor bugbear but surely as everything else is led then the interior lights should be?! The interior lights pack should just be cup light rings, led footwell lights etc etc. Things i can live without but disappointed the rest of the lights aren't led.

To be honest though this is the only con i can think of. I've done 220 miles and my mpg is 36 - Not great but I've been in a lot of traffic and a lot of short journeys so i hope for better soon.

Overall it's everything i thought it would be and more. I love it already and just can't wait to get back in each and everytime.

Reactions: cussycod and Daveotto
Nice write up Viper. I'm glad the cons you came up with are quite minor for me. I must admit, not having reading lights will be a first for me but I think I could live without it. I do agree with your point.

You had me slightly worried on mpg but I've gone with a 2TDI and it is still early days yet for you to up the mpg.

Ive chosen the Audi Sound system so your comments about that is pleasing. I understood from the brochure initially that s-line sport suspension was not available. When I found out it was I didn't want to amend my order and put it back by selecting this. At least I could consider dropping it at a later date and that the ride was still reasonable given the state of our roads.

Im counting the days till I take delivery. Hopefully next week!!

Thanks for your observations! :)

Do you mean No Reading lights in the cabin or No LED Reading lights. My current Sportback SE has individually switched reading lights front and back as well as the red led cabin lights over the centre console. The Golf VII SE I drove yesterday also had individually switched reading lights in the front. Didn't notice if there were any in the back.

I've just had a look at the current A3 Price and Specification Guide and there is the following item listed in the options:

Interior lighting package. (QQ4)Anti-glare lighting for the passenger compartment comprising door sill and footwell lighting at the front as well as illuminated inside door openers, vanity mirrors and illuminated cup holders, with 2 reading lights each front and rear, LED interior ambient lighting and active door reflectors. Also available as part of the Xenon lighting package.
£225 on SE and Sport and £170 on the S-Line

Also listed is the Xenon lighting pacakage which includes Adaptive headlights with Xenon Plus headlights (PXA), Light and Rain sensor package (PU8) and Interior lighting package (QQ4)
which is only available for the SE and Sport presumable because the S-Line already has Xenons as standard and the price is £1,250.

As you say a little odd to include Xenons as standard and not the Interior Lighting Package. Good old Audi UK again because I'm sure they would ALL be options in Germany and the individual buyer decides what they want on their particular car.

Last edited:
So if you don't have the Interior Lighting Package, are the interior lights not LED then?

One thing I'm actually not a fan of is the main overhead interior lights being LED. It's a much "harsher" or "harder" light temperature than is usual for interior illumination in my experience and feels far less "comforting" or "cozy" if you will.

Nice write up. Thinking of part exchanging my A1 1.6 tdi for the 1.4 sline SB. Not test drived one yet and had concerns on the power delivery of the 1.4 unit.

Fuel consumption seems reasonable and like you said, it's early days.

So if you don't have the Interior Lighting Package, are the interior lights not LED then?

One thing I'm actually not a fan of is the main overhead interior lights being LED. It's a much "harsher" or "harder" light temperature than is usual for interior illumination in my experience and feels far less "comforting" or "cozy" if you will.

Don't know on the 8V but on my 8P the main interior lights (ie those that come on when you open the doors and the reading lights) are normal bulbs and it's only the red 'ambient' lighting that shines down on the centre consolel that is LED.

Great write up, but I hate you, every time I see a write up like this I want mine tomorrow but realise I still have just over 3 months to wait, btw I have specced the interior lighting pack.

Also know what you mean about being a head turner- was sat behind a 3 door scuba blue s-line on the A10 yesterday and the car in the other lane had to get tooted to move on when the lights changed as was to busy admiring the a3

Great write up, but I hate you, every time I see a write up like this I want mine tomorrow but realise I still have just over 3 months to wait, btw I have specced the interior lighting pack.

Also know what you mean about being a head turner- was sat behind a 3 door scuba blue s-line on the A10 yesterday and the car in the other lane had to get tooted to move on when the lights changed as was to busy admiring the a3

Or perhaps he was like me and trying to work out whether it was a 'new' 8V or just another 8P!!!

The real give aways are the door handle, mirrors and rear lights and possibly the fog light surrounds.

Or perhaps he was like me and trying to work out whether it was a 'new' 8V or just another 8P!!!

The real give aways are the door handle, mirrors and rear lights and possibly the fog light surrounds.

and shape of petrol filler door -at least they are noticeable which can't be said for the mkVII golf.

But biggest difference is shape of front lights compared to the 8P and the "eyebrow" DLR's which are different to most other Audis which either have the DLR's under the main light or if above are not light pipe technology yet except on some of the newer Q's - now the light pipe technology is really cool and I jumped out of the seat to have closer look when sat in my first 8v

Having 4 adults in the car will have also knocked the mpg down a bit.

Thanks for the write-up - look forward to receiving my S line now!

Don't know on the 8V but on my 8P the main interior lights (ie those that come on when you open the doors and the reading lights) are normal bulbs and it's only the red 'ambient' lighting that shines down on the centre consolel that is LED.

Yeah I know, had two 8Ps both with the interior lighting. Just saying that it sounds like, in addition to omitting the map/reading lights if you don't spec the interior lighting pack, the main light is not LED but conventional bulbs. I'd actually prefer that!

Here is the standard front cabin light. A bit low-key, but perhaps the idea is that after seeing it everyone would buy the interior lighting package.

205909362-w988.jpg

Just no reading lights at all mate.
Do you mean No Reading lights in the cabin or No LED Reading lights. My current Sportback SE has individually switched reading lights front and back as well as the red led cabin lights over the centre console. The Golf VII SE I drove yesterday also had individually switched reading lights in the front. Didn't notice if there were any in the back.
yea that's it above. Very unimpressed Audi!

I agree about the interior lights omission. I remember feeling the same as you many years ago and now just tick the interior light pack box on each new car I order. It annoys me every time though, as without it you sometimes lose such essentials like glovebox light and boot light.

The LEDs are a bonus, but in reality I'm paying £170 to have a glovebox light and boot light which should be standard!

I agree about the interior lights omission. I remember feeling the same as you many years ago and now just tick the interior light pack box on each new car I order. It annoys me every time though, as without it you sometimes lose such essentials like glovebox light and boot light.

The LEDs are a bonus, but in reality I'm paying £170 to have a glovebox light and boot light which should be standard!

I have just checked the spec for MY14, and you are right - no reading lights. However, as standard there is a glovebox and boot light. The interior light package at £225 (SE and sport) Includes 2 reading lights at front and rear, LED ambient lighting, footwell lighting, vanity mirror and cup holder illumination.
I must admit i was expecting reading lights as standard....

I have the interior lighting pack but my glovebox and boot light are regular bulbs - should they be LED?

To me, the only thing that's the same is overall silhouette of the car, almost everything else is different and much more beautiful. If you look at the sides, the ugly door strips are gone, the front is more aggressive, sharper and better proportioned, the new headlamp shape is beautiful, unlike the old-fashioned 8P. 8P is still a good looking car, but standing next to 8V, it looks quite dated. To me, there's no contest at all. Yesterday I saw a new A3 SB in glacier white in the street, and I recognized it as a new model the moment I saw it.

Yeh, the sides are the easy giveaway to me - the 8P had the strips down the side, the 8V looks much nicer to me.

Nice write up Viper. I'm glad the cons you came up with are quite minor for me. I must admit, not having reading lights will be a first for me but I think I could live without it. I do agree with your point.

You had me slightly worried on mpg but I've gone with a 2TDI and it is still early days yet for you to up the mpg.

Ive chosen the Audi Sound system so your comments about that is pleasing. I understood from the brochure initially that s-line sport suspension was not available. When I found out it was I didn't want to amend my order and put it back by selecting this. At least I could consider dropping it at a later date and that the ride was still reasonable given the state of our roads.

Im counting the days till I take delivery. Hopefully next week!!

Thanks for your observations! :)

Hi SJW

Regarding the S Line sports suspension i think i just ordered in time to have it specced before it was removed for no apparent reason (i've heard trouble sourcing the parts but got to ********?)

You can probably see from the pics how low it is :)

Only negatives for me are: redesigned foglight switch. Previous 'pull-out' design from the 8p was better. Vents reflecting in the door mirrors on sunny days (not a major prob in rainy ireland). And finally, the review mirror (as has oft been pointed out) is too small.

Only other gripe is the jeep that parked beside me in a virtually empty car park and took a 2cm scrape of paint out of the side of my car as well as leaving a sizeable dent:(

I hope you slashed his tyres. That's deliberate attack on your car mate
Only negatives for me are: redesigned foglight switch. Previous 'pull-out' design from the 8p was better. Vents reflecting in the door mirrors on sunny days (not a major prob in rainy ireland). And finally, the review mirror (as has oft been pointed out) is too small.

Only other gripe is the jeep that parked beside me in a virtually empty car park and took a 2cm scrape of paint out of the side of my car as well as leaving a sizeable dent:(

Realised when I got home. Drove back and he/she was gone. It wasn't just a slight bump either; it was hit with real force:( Gutted...

Hi SJW

Regarding the S Line sports suspension i think i just ordered in time to have it specced before it was removed for no apparent reason (i've heard trouble sourcing the parts but got to ********?)

You can probably see from the pics how low it is :)

oh yes I can see from the photos!! :). I can probably live without the 10mm extra drop in the suspension but I can always have it lowered later on.

Very shocked to read this. I always park away from everyone and it really annoys me when a car park is relatively empty some cretin parks in the next bay with only centimetres to spare. I feel for you Deci. Was the car park covered by CCTV?? Anyway of finding out?

No CCTV. It happened in Cork, Ireland and it was a silver Mitsubishi Jeep with a Dublin reg. I was a long way from home.

Another car parked to the other side of me too (seriously, there were at least 40 other spaces free) but thankfully it was a 2012 3-series and they left enough space for 3 motorbikes between us.

EDIT: Here's the damage:

dentw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Whats changed about the fog light switch. Like you I like the current design and it stops drivers accidentally leaving the rear fog light on from previous days.

I am 'borrowing' a 2.0TDI Sportback S-Line s-tronic on Thursday for the day. Right engine and gearbox but I would not be going for an S-line but Sportback s-tronics are hard to find at the moment. Will be very interested to see what has changed.

Whats changed about the fog light switch. Like you I like the current design and it stops drivers accidentally leaving the rear fog light on from previous days.

Here is the new design in its left-hand version.

Switch

That explains why I couldn't get the fogs to come on by pulling the switch out as per my previous A3 then!!!! I gave up fumbling around in the dark in the end lol

That explains why I couldn't get the fogs to come on by pulling the switch out as per my previous A3 then!!!! I gave up fumbling around in the dark in the end lol

It's much better. Gives independent control of the fogs

It's much better. Gives independent control of the fogs

How so? The old system allowed you to put on front fogs only or front/rear together. Not sure if there's a situation where I'd need the rear fogs on their own. The old system's advantage was that you could easily turn the fogs on without looking or fumbling. Current setup is fiddley.

I should be able to find out how everything works now because I called in to my dealers as I was passing earlier today to finalise the arrangments for me borrowing a 2.0TDI Sportback S-line s-tronic for the day. Whilst I was there I borrowed a copy of the Owner's Manual and the MMI Operating Manual for the A3 so I can now have a good read. Although the new A3 and the Golf VII have a lot of the same technology it seems that it is controlled quite differently on each model.

Viper - noticed the rather large dog in the front seat and wondering what the boot is like for dog space? Moving down (space wise, up in relation to everything else!) from a Honda Accord Estate to a 2.0 tdi Sport SB which is due in the next couple of weeks and my biggest worry has been whether there is enough comfortable dog room in the boot. Although since joining the Forum, I have also been kicking myself that I didn't go for the S-Line..

Lots of dog room. I've had two 8 stone male Akitas sit side by side no issue

Just given back my demo car after 6 days (S-Line 2.0TDI) it arrived with 60 miles on the clock and went back with 742 :sm4: I do 30,000 miles a year couldn't care less about the reading lights as never use them, we don't use maps anymore. I found the Foglight switches OK but its more you need to know where they are than look for them and really when do you actually NEED front fog lights? Rule 133 of the current Highway Code states: - 'Use fog lights when visibility is seriously reduced’
This generally means when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 ft). You MUST NOT use fog lights at other times'. Rear fog lights are good for heavy rain in daylight but when did you actually drive in fog so bad you couldn't see 100 metres? rant over, sorry:whistle2: I ordered my S-Line after driving the car for 1 day but kept it for another 5

I think the ability to put the rear fog light on without having to put the front fogs on could be useful. I don't think I've used the front fogs at all on my current A3, Xenons almost make them pointless. I have only used the rear fog a couple of times when I have been on a motorway in daylight with very heavy spray. Most of the time it again is not necessary. Normal rear lights are often adequate. To me the main thing is I assume they still reset to off when you turn the ignition or lights off like the old switch. Looking at the manual it does not seem to say one way or the other.

I've got a 2.0TDI Sportback S-Line s-tronic for the day tomorrow so I will have to try and see what happens.

That's sickening deci. Some right jealous twats out there who hate to see people trade pride in their cars etc!

No CCTV. It happened in Cork, Ireland and it was a silver Mitsubishi Jeep with a Dublin reg. I was a long way from home.

Another car parked to the other side of me too (seriously, there were at least 40 other spaces free) but thankfully it was a 2012 3-series and they left enough space for 3 motorbikes between us.

EDIT: Here's the damage:

dentw.jpg

Totally agree with Viper's last comment. Such a shame no CCTV. Makes my blood boil hearing this and seeing the photo.