• 3 Post By Vertigo1
  • 1 Post By Sipj
  • 2 Post By Rup

Thread: Standard audio vs Audi sound system

AJB
    1st Gear

Status

Standard audio vs Audi sound system

Just wondering how good the standard sound system is in the new A3, and whether it's worth getting the Audi sound system upgrade? Obviously having a separate sub will give better bass, but has anyone had a chance to do a back to back comparison to see how much of an improvement there is in the other speakers and the overall sound?The B&O is too expensive for me, but I could stretch to Audi sound system if it's a big improvement over the standard fit.Thanks in advance for any thoughts/experiences!

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I'm wondering the same thing actually

5th Gear

Status
    Probably get a custom setup fitted for a lot less and will sound a lot better

6th Gear

Status
    Less than £250? I'm not too fussed about that personally (don't know about AJB) - I'm just interested in the difference between the 2 if anyone knows
    Last edited by cemerson; 14th May 2013 at 00:40.

Neutral

Status
    having a not having a sub already makes a big difference IMO. The Audi sound system also incorporates a central speaker in front-center of the car. I think it's worth upgrading to the Audi Sound System. You're buying a premium car with a flat and boring sound system? Nahm i would get minimum the Audi sound system upgrade :P
    Ordered: A3 SB Sport 1.4 tfsi / Amalfi white with chesnut brown seats / 17" 5-arm kinetic alloy wheels / Xenon light pack / Tech pack / B&O / Inlays mistral / Driver assistance pack

AJB
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by miketrix View Post
    having a not having a sub already makes a big difference IMO. The Audi sound system also incorporates a central speaker in front-center of the car. I think it's worth upgrading to the Audi Sound System. You're buying a premium car with a flat and boring sound system? Nahm i would get minimum the Audi sound system upgrade :P
    Thanks for the reply! Is that based on having listened to them, or on the spec in the brochure? I completely agree that I don't want a flat sound system, and I'd happily pay £250 to turn a flat one into a good one. But, I don't need thumping bass and if the 8 speakers in the standard system are of similar quality to (or even exactly the same as) the Audi sound system ones then I don't think I'd gain much for my money. I know it gets a centre speaker too, but I think quality counts a lot more than quantity for loudspeakers!

(Yours looks very well specced by the way!)

Reverse Gear

Status
    Personally I think the standard spec is quiet good. Haven't hear the audi sound system yet but happy with the standard one. In fact, there is a centre speaker in the middle of the dash close to the windscreen for the standard one.

2nd Gear

Status
    The Audi sound system also includes an upgraded amplifier, not just speakers.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by yangdennis View Post
    Personally I think the standard spec is quiet good. Haven't hear the audi sound system yet but happy with the standard one. In fact, there is a centre speaker in the middle of the dash close to the windscreen for the standard one.
    I was under the impression the speaker grill on the dash is there on all versions, but they only put a speaker in it for the Audi Sound System and the B&O.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemc View Post
    Probably get a custom setup fitted for a lot less and will sound a lot better
    less than 250? I very much doubt it!
    1.4 TFSI 122ps A3 SportBack. Comfort pack, Audi sound system, Daytona grey, SD Sat Nav, S line trim. Love it!

3rd Gear

Status
    Another vote for the standard system here. I have found it gives excellent sound quality, provided the bass control is turned up a few notches in order to give a natural tonal balance. I had the Bose system in my 8P A3, and frankly I don't miss it.

My understanding is that the standard and upgraded sound systems are largely the same, with 4 x 20W for the main speakers (passive split to the tweeters) in both cases. The upgraded system gets a 20W centre speaker and 80W subwoofer, so 6 rather than 4 amplifiers.

Neutral

Status
    I have the upgraded Audi system, which i think is great. It has a really nice depth to it when you turn up the bass a bit.
    Unfortunately though I can't answer your q re the difference between both, as I only briefly heard the std system in the dealership. I'm sure it's great too, but I felt that as I couldn't really stretch to the bose, then the upgrade was best option.
    2011 a3 1.4t dsg (ordered)
    2007 golf gt 1.4tsi

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by viperfire View Post
    less than 250? I very much doubt it!
    Even if you could, would you really put your warranty in jeopardy by retrofitting aftermarket audio to a brand new car? You might get away with it but, should you have any problems with anything electrical (of which there's a shedload in the A3) and Audi would take one look at your aftermarket sound system and be well within their rights to tell you to take a hike.
    hittchy, Daveotto and cemerson like this.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

Zig
    Neutral

Status
    Are the 4 x 20W main speakers the same for both the standard and the upgraded Audi system?

Neutral

Status
    get the audi sound system!
    i think its reasonable priced and personally i dont want to mess with after market solutions , cables and removing car parts will always leave some kind of mark on your car.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AJB View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Is that based on having listened to them, or on the spec in the brochure? I completely agree that I don't want a flat sound system, and I'd happily pay £250 to turn a flat one into a good one. But, I don't need thumping bass and if the 8 speakers in the standard system are of similar quality to (or even exactly the same as) the Audi sound system ones then I don't think I'd gain much for my money. I know it gets a centre speaker too, but I think quality counts a lot more than quantity for loudspeakers!
    I've only listened to the Audi system sound, not the standard, so can't really compare sorry. I think the best you could do is try to listen to both audio systems and compare by yourself. Every person has it's hearing, so what could be flat for me can be good enough for you, or viceversa. As I said, IMO, and based on my assumption, having bass and not having makes a big difference. And I'm not talking about loudness, in fact I'm talking about quality. The bass will give you the low frequency sounds, something you would lose without them. The sound will be more complete...

Quote Originally Posted by AJB View Post
    (Yours looks very well specced by the way!)
    Thanks
    Ordered: A3 SB Sport 1.4 tfsi / Amalfi white with chesnut brown seats / 17" 5-arm kinetic alloy wheels / Xenon light pack / Tech pack / B&O / Inlays mistral / Driver assistance pack

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcourtney View Post
    I was under the impression the speaker grill on the dash is there on all versions, but they only put a speaker in it for the Audi Sound System and the B&O.
    no no no , that's where my woofer is!!!! Lol I'd thought I'd say before you or vertigo did
    Audi A3 8v 2.0TDi S-Line, glacier white.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have an Audi A3 S-Line 8V with the standard system and previously had an A4 which comes with the Audi Sound System (bass speaker etc.) as standard. I would defiantly recommend the upgrade as I do miss the quality of the system in the A4. I find the standard system in the A3 rather disappointing in comparison and wish I had upgraded. It also seems to have some sort of volume limiter in place which is annoying. You will find that although you turn the volume up, it does not actually get louder depending on what sort of music is playing.

Defiantly spend the extra money on the upgrade.
    hittchy likes this.

3rd Gear

Status

Standard audio vs Audi sound system

I had a quick listen to the standard sound system in the A3 and found it very, well.... "standard" it didn't offend me like banging a saucepan with a wooden spoon, but didn't inspire me and left me bored.
    Coming from a background selling and installing home cinema equipment wanted to try the B&O..... I was blown away, it sounded great, it's not just about bass, it is very wide well balanced and full sound. The only car they had with B&O to listen to was an A5, I did my homework thinking they prob just demo'd me a £1500 upgrade but its actually got less power, only 500W not the 700W of the A3!!

But like Miketrix said everyone's taste in sound is different (some people like Brussel Sprouts some don't) and yes you could get a custom system installed but I don't think you could better it for £700 and certainly not as neatly integrated into the car and the MMI.

Oh and the lights on the speakers look pimp
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

1st Gear

Status
    I have the a3 8p s-line with the subwoofer in the boot etc.. Ordered my a3 8v on Saturday and never thought about Audio till I had a look on here.. Not realising that you don't get the subwoofer as standard so I popped up to audi today and had a listen to a standard system and I found it nowhere near as good as mine and knew if I was to keep for 3 years then I had to upgrade the system

So I did amended my order and added on audi sound system, I haven't heard this yet but have heard its apparently up to standards with Bose. The speakers were good but in the standard system but just needs a subwoofer to take some bass off the speakers to make it more clear!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sipj View Post
    I have an Audi A3 S-Line 8V with the standard system and previously had an A4 which comes with the Audi Sound System (bass speaker etc.) as standard. I would defiantly recommend the upgrade as I do miss the quality of the system in the A4. I find the standard system in the A3 rather disappointing in comparison and wish I had upgraded. It also seems to have some sort of volume limiter in place which is annoying. You will find that although you turn the volume up, it does not actually get louder depending on what sort of music is playing.

Defiantly spend the extra money on the upgrade.
    Have noticed this also!! Though I'm happy with the standard set up, miles better than the system in the BMW, just feel like I need an extra notch sometimes !!! ..... These go to eleven!!!! Lol

Rup
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Heard the standard, Audi, & B&O when ordering mine. Def get the Audi, well worth the £250. B&O nice but too much £££
    SJW and cemerson like this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Just a little update on this, I’ve mentioned before in another thread i think, that my brotherin-law picked up a new A4 allroad with B&O upgrade. Was out in his car for most of Sunday last weekend and found that for normal listening , my standard setup sounded so much better, richer and clearer.

Can’t compete with how loud it can go but generally speaking …just better.lol

I think Audi have really upgraded the system well in all the trim levels, so I don’t think you would be disappointed with any spec of system.