Itunes to SD card (MMI) question

mfspen

Reaction score
As I understand it from looking through the manual, the Audi MMI system doesn't support lossless audio encoding (ALAC or FLAC). Currently, all the music on my iMac is ripped in ALAC format into iTunes, so cannot be copied to an SD card for use in the car. Is there any solution to this ? Re-ripping everything to AAC is not an option, as the same music library is for home use too, nor do I want to have a duplicate of every file already ripped.

It seems odd that Audi have chosen to only support lossy formats, given that they are far more computationally intensive than lossless coding.

Why not convert to AAC, copy to SD, then delete from iTunes?

Yes, that may well be the only option.
Do you happen to know if the Audi MMI supports AAC VBR, which is the default iTunes Plus format ?

Certainly supports AAC up to 320kbps and I think VBR is ~270kbps peak. It also supports Apple's M4u or whatever the format is called!

mfspen - I transferred my music from my computer to a 64GB SDXC card which I use in our A3 Sportback which works fine.

I have checked to see what is used when ripping CDs into iTunes and it comes up with the following:

Import using: ACC Encoder
Setting: iTunes Plus
Details: 128 kbps (mono) / 256 kbps (stereo), 44.100 kHz optimised for MMX/SSE2.

When I look in iTune the music files have a file extension of .m4a

If you wish to use a lossless format the SD Card will play WAV files and copying album art as folder.jpg file into the appropriate folder with music files, the MMI seems clever enough to show album art.

This format is not listed in the owners manual but worked for me as I tried a few formats out......

mfspen - I transferred my music from my computer to a 64GB SDXC card which I use in our A3 Sportback which works fine.

I have checked to see what is used when ripping CDs into iTunes and it comes up with the following:

Import using: ACC Encoder
Setting: iTunes Plus
Details: 128 kbps (mono) / 256 kbps (stereo), 44.100 kHz optimised for MMX/SSE2.

When I look in iTune the music files have a file extension of .m4a

Yes, those are the default settings for iTunes import, but I changed them to Apple Lossless when I ripped some of my CDs into iTunes. Having said that, 256k AAC does sound extremely good.

If you wish to use a lossless format the SD Card will play WAV files and copying album art as folder.jpg file into the appropriate folder with music files, the MMI seems clever enough to show album art.

This format is not listed in the owners manual but worked for me as I tried a few formats out......

Interesting solution.

Do you manually have to move each album art jpeg to the same folder as the corresponding album, or can you put all the jpegs into one folder ? And what is the best way to do the copying, from within iTunes, or by copying the iTunes Music folder within Finder ?

mfspen - It may be that ALAC is supported, both ALAC and ACC files have the file extension a file .m4a we need to try a SD card with ALAC files on it ot see if it is supported or not.

Interesting solution.

Do you manually have to move each album art jpeg to the same folder as the corresponding album, or can you put all the jpegs into one folder ? And what is the best way to do the copying, from within iTunes, or by copying the iTunes Music folder within Finder ?

I have an old desktop PC which I still use Windows Media Player for ripping CDs onto a hard drive and I usually prefer to use the WAV lossless format.

so all I did was copy the artist / album folder onto SD card which has the album art files as well as music files and surprisingly the A3 MMI could read files and play them fine.

Never expected album art to display on car screen as you cannot embed any imagery into WAV file type but it worked fine.

Might not be much diff in sound but I reckon WAV sounds a bit fuller over mp3 doing a direct listening comparison or maybe I just think it does as I know the mind can play tricks :)

we also use macs with the memory cards and i tunes its such an **** ! so wish we had an i pod in our s4! The best way i found unfortunately means to convert the songs you want first into the correct format, then create a playlist for all of this music, i know its a bummer having two types of music... if youre struggling for space get a time capsule!!! i then use i tune my walkman Download iTuneMyWalkman for Mac - Synchronize iTunes playlist to a mobile phone. MacUpdate.com it syncs nicely with the sd card and i tunes! I hope this helps!

As I understand it from looking through the manual, the Audi MMI system doesn't support lossless audio encoding (ALAC or FLAC). Currently, all the music on my iMac is ripped in ALAC format into iTunes, so cannot be copied to an SD card for use in the car. Is there any solution to this ? Re-ripping everything to AAC is not an option, as the same music library is for home use too, nor do I want to have a duplicate of every file already ripped.

It seems odd that Audi have chosen to only support lossy formats, given that they are far more computationally intensive than lossless coding.

i can confirm that with the Tech pack on a may 14 built car FLAC works.