Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mjcourtney

Thread: MMI iPod cannot shuffle

Neutral

Status

MMI iPod cannot shuffle

There is no shuffle function when I go onto the settings in media, is anybody else having these issues?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Yup, also missing this feature, really annoying

6th Gear

Status
    I have it - it's called Random Playback - but it's been mentioned before that some people don't.

Maybe we can use this thread to narrow it down? If everyone posts what device/connectivity they're using and whether they have the option, perhaps we can deduce what circumstances it appears under?

For myself, I'm using a third generation iPod Touch connected via cable and have the Tech Pack. Random playback option is available.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

Neutral

Status
    Non tech pack with red cable.

No random playback with iPod nano 6th gen or iPhone 5 (can shuffle on iPhone 5 thru the phone)

6th Gear

Status
    Ah yes, using red cable here too.

At some point I'll try my iPhone 4S and see if that does it.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

Reverse Gear

Status
    I've got blue cable (not gone back to Audi yet) with non-tech pack and 5th gen iPod ... No random :-(

Reverse Gear

Status

Unhappy New Audi A3 Sportback does not support ipod shuffle (Random Play)

Quote Originally Posted by vwgti View Post
    There is no shuffle function when I go onto the settings in media, is anybody else having these issues?
    I have been fighting with Audi over this issue for three month now, and I have not had any success.
    Even though their documentation says the ipod classic is supported, and their web site shows the ipod classic as a supported device.

It would appear that the MMI interface has been designed 'specifically by engineering NOT to allow the ability to select random play'.
    Direct quote from Germany as given to me by the UK liaison team.......

You can get the whole ipod library to play in random mode if you select that option on the ipod BEFORE connecting. But that is the only form of shuffle play you can get. (And this is by default not design)

You cannot have playlists playing in a random mode and you cannot select and play albums in a random mode.

Audi apparently have NO INTENTION of modifying this design feature !!! Or sending out a fix as I like to think of it !!!!!

If you have not purchased your Audi yet - I suggest you look very seriously at Toyota and Mercedes who have this functionality as standard for many years, and when they say a device is supported they mean you can actually use it properly.

According to Audi Germany a supported device is one that just plugs in and plays...... and does not support ANY functionality even if everyone would consider that functionality to be basic.

I have the blue cable and an ipod classic.
    I do not have the Tech pack as Audi had no idea if it would work with that, and their documentation does not even mention any iPod usability.
    Plus it costs a lot of money and I do not want what it appears to have been designed for!!!!!!
    Last edited by CliffS; 12th July 2013 at 13:55.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CliffS View Post
    I have been fighting with Audi over this issue for three month now, and I have not had any success.
    Even though their documentation says the ipod classic is supported, and their web site shows the ipod classic as a supported device.

It would appear that the MMI interface has been designed 'specifically by engineering NOT to allow the ability to select random play'.

You can get the whole ipod library to play in random mode if you select that option on the ipod BEFORE connecting. But that is the only form of shuffle play you can get. (And this is by default not design)

You cannot have playlists playing in a random mode and you cannot select and play albums in a random mode.

Audi apparently have NO INTENTION of modifying this design feature !!! Or sending out a fix as I like to think of it !!!!!

If you have not purchased your Audi yet - I suggest you look very seriously at Toyota and Mercedes who have this functionality as standard for many years, and when they say a device is supported they mean you can actually use it properly.

According to Audi Germany a supported device is one that just plugs in and plays...... and does not support ANY functionality even if everyone would consider that functionality to be basic.

I do not have the Tech pack as Audi had no idea if it would work with that, and their documentation does not even mention any iPod usability.
    Plus it costs a lot of money and I do not want what it appears to have been designed for!!!!!!
    Is it not taking it a bit far to say others should choose another car because the iPod can't shuffle?!

if I was in your situation I would buy an SD card as presumably that will be able to shuffle?
    Old Car - BMW 330i Msport E92

On Order - A3 1.8TFSI S Tronic Sport - Scuba Blue - Comfort Pack - Interior Light Pack - Technology Pack - Xenon Pack - Kinetic Alloys - Advanced Key - B&O - Heated Seats - Milano Leather - Privacy Glass - Reversing Camera - DAB - Tyre Pressure Monitor

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Is it not taking it a bit far to say others should choose another car because the iPod can't shuffle?!

if I was in your situation I would buy an SD card as presumably that will be able to shuffle?
    That reminds me, I have to buy a SD Card. I would also be interested to know if shuffle works with SD Cards?
    Audi A3 Sportback 1.4 COD S Line
    Glacier White, Advanced Key, Audi Sound System, Comfort Package, Hold Assist, Interior Light Package, SD Sat Nav.

5th Gear

Status
    Shuffle does work with SD cards :thumbup:
    Coxy234 and Equilibrium like this.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

6th Gear

Status
    Is that on a per-folder, per playlist, or whole card basis?
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post

Thank you for this suggestion...... Who knows if this works ?

However not having the shuffle facility on the MMI system makes my playlists unusable, unless of course you like to listen to the same sequence of tracks over and over.
    Manual shuffling is not a very good solution especially at 70 mph down the motorway.

Had I been given the correct information prior to purchasing the A3 (I.e The ipod functionality in the MMI system is non existent), I would not have purchased the car.

My hope is that I will save other people from making this mistake when buying this expensive car, given that this BASIC technology has been out there in other makes of cars for at least six years

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi What sort of capacity can you get on an SD Card ? I'm looking for at least 120 Gig
    Thanks

5th Gear

Status
    Up to 2TB on SD cards. Not sure about the shuffling possibilities, just gives you the option to shuffle in the MMI when playing from SD.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

6th Gear

Status
    Thank you for this suggestion...... Who knows if this works ?

However not having the shuffle facility on the MMI system makes my playlists unusable, unless of course you like to listen to the same sequence of tracks over and over.
    Manual shuffling is not a very good solution especially at 70 mph down the motorway.

Had I been given the correct information prior to purchasing the A3 (I.e The ipod functionality in the MMI system is non existent), I would not have purchased the car.

My hope is that I will save other people from making this mistake when buying this expensive car, given that this BASIC technology has been out there in other makes of cars for at least six years
    To be fair, Apple are well known for making a lot of propriatory things and not following standards or specs, and forcing other manufacturers to jump through extra hoops to support their stuff, only to then change all their standards for new ones (see: Lightning connector). I wouldn't be surprised if Audi just thought it wasn't worth the effort making special exceptions to the standards for one manufacturer, and good on them to be honest - I don't think I would either. They might lose a few sales over it, but probably not enough to make spending the money on supporting one manufacturer worth it. BMW are pretty cosy with Apple, and jump through all their hoops - perhaps they will support it?
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

6th Gear

Status
    Doesn't really make a difference to me anyway - I very rarely (if at all) use the shuffle function on any media player. I listen to whole albums at a time, not individual songs, and I'll take my tracks in the order the artist wanted them - especially for the albums where the songs flow into each other a lot (and a lot of my music does this!)

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi What sort of capacity can you get on an SD Card ? I'm looking for at least 120 Gig
    Thanks
    You can get 128gb. 256gb is expensive. 512gb exists but I've never even seen a price for it.

6th Gear

Status

Erm, as I stated above, it works fine for me!

I'm not disputing that the option isn't there for many and I have no idea why or whether only certain permutations of equipment and cable will allow the option.

Nevertheless, it's totally incorrect to claim that this feature isn't offered or supported by Audi at all because that's plainly not the case. I have it in my car and it works perfectly, allowing me to shuffle albums or playlists into a random order.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Many thanks...... I think that is more than enough for my requirements.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I picked up mine yesterday and my iPhone can definitely shuffle through the MMI menus. I have the HD based Sat Nav, so it may be something to do with the basic sat nav?
    Old Car - BMW 330i Msport E92

On Order - A3 1.8TFSI S Tronic Sport - Scuba Blue - Comfort Pack - Interior Light Pack - Technology Pack - Xenon Pack - Kinetic Alloys - Advanced Key - B&O - Heated Seats - Milano Leather - Privacy Glass - Reversing Camera - DAB - Tyre Pressure Monitor

Reverse Gear

Status
    I'm about to take delivery of an A3 without the tech pack. Has anyone had success finding the music shuffle option with the standard MMI and no tech pack?

Reverse Gear

Status
    How strange! My 2008 b8 a4 has shuffle through the ami! I use it all the time