Sky InsuranceEM Tuning

Available models

I have just been looking at the latest German Price List for the A3. Always a silly thing to do I know because it makes you realise that we can only choose the models that Audi UK's marketing staff think will sell into the UK company car market. 65% of all A3s sold in the UK are company cars. Presumable they are the one's who can most afford them!

In Germany the don't have S, SE and Sport models. Their equivalents are Attraction, Ambition and Ambiente. Ambition and Ambiente are the same price but have different items included. A lot more items in Germany are 'options' rather than standard items and the customer makes up their own car to suit themselves. Many more items are included in the standard spec in the UK, again influenced by the company car market.

In Germany you can buy the 1.4 TFSI with or without s-tronic and the 1.4 TFSI COD again with or without s-tronic. The 1.8 TFSI can be purchased with or without s-tronic as well as in quattro s-tronic form. All the engine and gearbox combinations are available in 3-door and Sportback and in all three trim levels. They also offer S-Line Exterior and Sport packages that can be added as options. The 1.6 and 2.0 TDI are again available with or with s-tronic in all three trim levels and the S-Line optional packages together with what Audi call a 2.0 TDI 'clean diesel' which is only available in manual but has a higher 340Nm torque level and costs €600 more than the standard 320 Nm version. Diesels are popular in Germany probably because Diesel cost the equivalent of 122.58 p/litre whereas unleaded petrol costs 134.62 p/litre. It is a similar difference in all European countries except the UK where it is the other way round for some reason.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    What I'd really like is a 1.4 COD stronic quattro. So I'm sort of pleased to see that combination isn't available even in germany.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    In Germany the don't have S, SE and Sport models. Their equivalents are Attraction, Ambition and Ambiente. Ambition and Ambiente are the same price but have different items included.
    Sounds a lot like when the A3 8P was first launched here in 2003. Then you had three models - the base trim and then either SE or Sport which each cost the same but added different options. Of course I wanted features from each so ended up getting an SE but adding some options which were standard on the Sport, such as seats.

Now we have the incremental SE -> Sport -> S-Line system where each model includes everything from the lower models plus some more bits. Guess Audi's marketing feel that's easier to understand or sell.

Interestingly, I see some other manufacturers like BMW seem to be going more down the original UK or German system, having a "luxury" option and a "sporty" option.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors