Recalls

stevey_cam

Reaction score
Just had a call from my dealer to book my car in for some checks. As anyone else had this yet?

I asked what they were for as I was planning to phone anyway because I've got a rattle from the engine, think it could be the turbo linkage that's been mentioned elsewhere. She listed off a few things to do with the MMI, fuel gauge and engine warning light coming on for no reason.

Cars booked in for thursday.

I'm waiting for the Turbo Linkage recall too, other than that there are a few people who have reported recalls for MMI and Climate Control software updates, but if your car was built after Jan / Feb this year then it looks like these recalls were applied at the factory anyway. Let us know what they do to yours :)

Yeah mine had quite a few recalls noted on it but they were all to do with the electronics and control systems rather than anything mechanical.

So my car was in yesterday, ended up just being a software update for the MMI.

They confirmed the rattle was from a clip for something to do with the turbo. Although the new modified part to solve this won't be available until July.

Interestingly I just had an update from my dealer about the rattle too. He read out the statement from Audi which says the expected fix hasn't worked and to suspend any repairs on turbos for the time being. It's gone back to the design stage to fix the linkage issue. There was no mention of a date, but he did say sadly not to expect it any time soon :(

Makes you wonder why the turbo linkage wasn't picked up on the hundreds os thousands of development miles !

Hello Everyone.

Will I have this to look forward to (re: turbo linkage issue) when I take delivery of my sportback in the next 10 days? How soon into having the car did this issue present itself? I have listened to a sound recording that one person uploaded onto the forum, his car was making a terrible sound.

Thanks,
Steve

Mine has done it since I picked it up on the 1st of March although that's me just getting round to getting it looked at now.

Although by the sounds of it mine isn't as bad as some.

Thanks Stevey for the reply - still, you do not expect to have such a problem with the car so early on. I am surprised a fix has not been carried out more quickly.

If you have been driving the car with the problem for the last 2 months (not wishing to be so neg or put a downer on things), can the issue cause any further damage?

Apologies for the 60 questions. I should try and host mastermind.

Mine was fine for about the first 10 days then it suddenly started. If the rattle genuinely isn't causing damage then I'm happy to wait a little while longer for the fix. Mine isn't that loud, its just consistently there between 2k and 3k rpm.

Mine was fine for about the first 10 days then it suddenly started. If the rattle genuinely isn't causing damage then I'm happy to wait a little while longer for the fix. Mine isn't that loud, its just consistently there between 2k and 3k rpm.

Do you think that it's grounds not to accept delivery of the car if you hear this when you first start the engine? I take it that it's only happening on some cars and not others.

Also, if the part isn't available till July, I wonder how long it'll take for them to correct this at the factory - It seems pretty bad that they're aware of it and still haven't done anything about it even now!

I would have thought Audi would stop customers taking delivery if it was a problem that would cause further damage or be a health/safety matter.

Just further to Karl's post, the people experiencing the problem and posting in this thread seem to have the 1.4 tfsi. Any others experiencing this?

Interesting. Thanks Kristian.
So it is also affecting the 1.8 tfsi from one of the posters on that site.

Do you think that it's grounds not to accept delivery of the car if you hear this when you first start the engine? I take it that it's only happening on some cars and not others.

Also, if the part isn't available till July, I wonder how long it'll take for them to correct this at the factory - It seems pretty bad that they're aware of it and still haven't done anything about it even now!

If you reject the car then it's possible that the replacement could suffer from it too as this appears to be a design fault (as admitted by the chap from Audi that called me). In my case it's a quiet rattle, and passengers haven't noticed it until i've pointed it out, and it doesn't detract from performance or my enjoyment of the car. If it were me it wouldn't be grounds to reject it - but this is very much up to you to decide what's acceptable.

I'm sure Audi will get a fix out ASAP given the number of people that are talking about it. I think the German post about a software update has suffered from 'lost in translation', and I believe they're still talking about the initial fix of a clip being fitted to the turbo linkage.

Oh dear, just been reading about this turbo rattle and expecting delivery of my A3 soon.

You would think Audi should have had a fix out by now. Does anybody know if its just the 1.4 on the A3 or affecting other models in the VAG empire? I haven't seen any posts on it affecting the 1.4 engine in the A1 which I assume is the same.

I will be listening very carefully when I collect mine!

Not heard any rattle on my 1.4. It was built early February and I've been driving it for about 6 weeks now.

That is good to know Chelmersteve. So the problem can be hit and miss with each one rather than all suffering with it.

Not heard any rattle on my 1.4. It was built early February and I've been driving it for about 6 weeks now.

The challenge with all these type of recalls is it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. It is likely to be from single component or sub assembly and then maybe only from one batch and then it will only occur in a couple of percent of cars.

Once they have found the offending bit, or root cause, which could be a fundamental design issue or component manufacture or assembly issue or from the material of construction used they have to work out how to fix it for future builds and for existing customers.

all very interesting stuff (I try to prevent this type of issue in another industry) but frustrating for the end user and disastrous if you keep getting wrong like Toyota.

Had my 1.8 TFSI for 6 months now and have not heard any rattles! It's on 8k miles too.