Well, that's me off guys, see you soon......

Sootchucker

Reaction score
Well after much debating, negotiating, cursing and soul searching, I have finally ordered the new cars for the wife and myself. As you may know, it was originally going to be an A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-Line for me, and an A1 1.4 TFSI S-Line for the wife.

Well despite trying 8 different dealers as far away as Anglesey, we never really managed to get the deal we were after, so (and I know a lot of people will disagree here), it's going to be 2 Volkswagen's - it's a new Golf 7 GTD (184ps) DSG 5 door for me, and a Polo Blue GT (1.4 ACT 140PS) DSG for the wife.

As it ended up, we got nearly 15% discount though the VW dealers, over £2,100 more trade in on both cars than the best Audi dealers could offer, and free 3 year servicing for both cars, free GAP, free Cherished plate transfer and the PX price held until the cars are delivered. To be honest, the VW dealers were a lot more approachable than the Audi ones we tried.

As I said, I know a lot on here wouldn't touch a VW, (and I don't want this to start into an Audi vs VW debate here) but having had a proper look and drive in a MK7 GT (then seeing the MK7 GTD and GTi's when I was over at the Geneva motor show earlier this year), I was sold. Add to that the fact that the financing means a massive £3.5k less cash deposit from me on both cars, and the finance over 3 years with VW was almost to the penny the same as Audi over 4 years, it was a bit of a no brainer.

As I had budgeted on about £33-£34k for a loaded A3, I went a bit crazy with the options in the Golf and have added (aside from DSG) Keyless Entry, Adaptive Chassis Control, Discover Nav Pro, Lane Assist, High beam assist, Winter pack, Park Assist, Dynaudio sound system and rear view camera.

Add to that the very generous standard spec that includes (but not limited to), 18" "Negaro" Alloys, 15mm lowered sports suspension, Bi Xenon Headlights with static cornering lights, rear LED lights, Dual Zone Climate control, Amblient lighting, LED front fog lights, Sports seats with height and lumbar adjustment, Colour MFD, adaptive cruise control, city emergency braking, Auto distance control, driver profile selection, Parking sensros front and rear, Pre-crash preventative occupant protection, Driver alert system, bigger brakes, DAB, MDI, progressive sterring etc., then it comes as well specced as the A3 would have been.

VW are estimating that first deliveries will begin to UK customers approx end July / early August, but to be honest, I'm not anticipating it until September and the 63 plate change.

I hope you don't mind me popping back from time to time as obviously both cars share a lot of similar DNA, and so there might be some useful information to glean from this forum. Also many thanks for all those that have answered my queries and put up will all my questions over the last couple of months.

Here's the car in question (albeit I've ordered it in Pure White).

Golf 7-4 by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Last edited:
The GTD looks great, I'm sure you'll love it, and fully understand your reasoning. I'm sure it will hold its value a fair bit better than some of the other Golf models too, and it will be something special with all those options that's for sure.

Enjoy.....

As I said, I know a lot on here wouldn't touch a VW, (and I don't want this to start into an Audi vs VW debate here)

what debate is that, I am pretty certain that the vast majority of forum goers are educated enough to know that VW and Audi are near enough synonymous

Congrats on the new cars and sorry to see you go. Shame Audi couldn't offer the deal you were after.

Whilst I personally prefer Audi and am not too fond of the looks of the new Golf, that's my personal opinion and I fully accept it's not shared by all. Sure you'll enjoy it :D

Cheers guys. Fully understand that the Golf isn't to everyone tastes, but then neither is the A3. I happen to like the look of both.

Now it's actually ordered, I can't wait.

Obviously the love here is for Audi but sure many like I also appreciate certain VW Models and the GTi and GTD are very much in that category and given all your justification, very strong reasoning to switch.

I can afford a Standard GTi but want DSG and when you see the review on Auto Express you would want performance pack with Slip Diff also and that leaves it well outside my price band .. I really like the GTD DSG though and it is loaded as standard! with my only option to add being the discover navigation to complete and well within budget.

I love the Austin wheels, the red stripe and red tartan interior though of GTi and exhaust being on either side (little things!) so would miss that styling but I would also worry the GTi sits in the street saying nick me each night!! Think that is just an impression opposed to a fact ..

So heart would say standard GTi mind would say loaded GTD and in white to

I must admit as not commited yet, I am considering the GTD also because of this! as it is wife preference all along and the mix of performance and loaded spec is teasing.

A3 S Line Sportback Stronic still ahead but will have a look in on VW garage this weekend as one close by.

Can't say I blame you TBH. I might be changing jobs and they offer a company car up to £32k, I'd be tempted to change to the Golf GTD with DSG, full leather, 19" wheels and Sat Nav Pro.

Good luck with your purchases. I have say I think both the golf and polo wont disappoint, both lovely cars.

Shut the door on your way out. Lol enjoy the Golf. A3 is better though :)

Nah, no offence taken what so ever mate, knew it was all good fun and tounge in cheek. I love the A3 and in an ideal world that's what I would have been driving in 6 months, but things change, and I just couldn't ignore the massive savings on 2 cars staying with the VW brand. I'm sure both cars will (would) have been superb !

All good banter :rock: