Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By manmoth

Thread: A3 Body style

b52
    Reverse Gear

Status

A3 Body style

What made you choose hatchback over sportback or the other way around?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I chose the SB as I prefer the look and also size!
    I am now the very very proud owner of an A3 Sportback S-line 2.0 TDI Glacier white - panoramic sunroof and privacy glass!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    I wanted the 3 door as the actual doors are bigger and as I am quite tall 6' ish it mean't that the B pillar would be a bit further back so better side view. It was also cheaper .
    However my company then said I have to have a 5 door which I am happy with , doors not too much of a biggie now and much easier day to day to put bags , jackets on the back seat. I also believe the ride is better on the 5 door due to the extra length.

Was originally looking at a BMW 1 series 3 door but that is another story

Reverse Gear

Status
    Yep 5 doors more practical and i also think the sport back looks better than the 3 door

Neutral

Status
    I chose the Sportback because the boot and rear legroom are bigger than the 3 door, and I do have passengers and luggage on occasion for longer journeys.
    On order, due late April
    2013 A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0 TDI, Misano red, aluminium roof rials privacy glass, interior lighting pack, SD nav, B&O, comfort pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    i agree i was originally going to get the 3 door, but didn't want people scraping there feet on the way in/out also with all the traveling i do better to have a bigger car

Neutral

Status
    I agree completely with the above, I have kids and have always had 5 doors.... And for these reasons I went for 3 DOORS....

yes 5 is more practical, yes the mrs is going to complain every time she has to get out of the car to let one of the kids in the back but I don't care, you cannot beat the true sport style and beauty of the 3 door.....

I have looked at 5 door A3's and have found myself wondering, "did I make the right call?" But then I look at the reflection of mine in a shop window and say to myself, Yes I did.....

To you other 3 door owners out there, please like this post to show your support.... less is definitely more.....
    Rozza7 likes this.
    Glacier White 1.8TFSI A3 S-Line 3-door S-Tronic, Nuff said....

2nd Gear

Status
    I chose sportback as I find the doors on most 3 door cars too wide and cause me problems when I have squeezed into the last parking space available at one of the hospitals I spend my days in. I had a Mazda 2 for 6 weeks when there was a recall on my Mazda 6 after the Japanese tsunami and parts were taking a while. I thought parking would be simple in comparison to the Mazda 6, and it was, until I tried getting out of the car :/
    Loving my
    Audi A3 Sportback, S line in Amalfi White
    comfort Pack, high beam assist, hill hold assist, folding door mirrors, interior light pack, heated front seats, sat nav -sd card based, non smoking pack, privacy glass, parking system plus.

Neutral

Status
    3 is the new 5....

6th Gear

Status
    Practicality ALWAYS takes precedence over style for me, so was an easy decision - even though I thought for a long time the 3 door was better looking - though I've changed my mind on this since (and not just cause I bought one!)
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    Everything about mine screams impractical, doors, engine, gearbox..... Mid life crisis perhaps.... And I'm only 32....

6th Gear

Status
    I've had a 3 door A3 before actually, as a company car - SE 1.6 Petrol, no options (company weren't going to spend any more money than necessary :P), and I did find it a pain when I gave more than 1 person a lift (which happened a lot)
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    I don't need 5 doors but with the 8p i went for a sportback because I preferred how it looked. With the 8v it was also an aesthetic choice and I went for the 3 door.

5th Gear

Status
    I carry people around regularly, as well carrying a lot of equipment. The practicality of the 5 door over the 3 door was always going to be worth the 6 month wait when I decided to buy one back in October!

Plus, I think the 5 door looks better to me.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

MiT
    Work Hard, Play harder!!

Status
    similar as above, had a 3 door was a pain when carrying people, 5 door more practical. plus as a company car no 3 door's allowed.
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI S-Line
    Amalfi White || Comfort Pack || Audi Sound System 10 Speakers || Interior Light Pack || Elec Lumber Support || Sat Nav || Non Smoking pack

1st Gear

Status
    3 door more practical if only 2 people are going to be using it, the wife is sometimes the only person in the car, the Q5 does everything else if needing to move bigger equipment or more people.

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldoug View Post
    3 door more practical if only 2 people are going to be using it, the wife is sometimes the only person in the car, the Q5 does everything else if needing to move bigger equipment or more people.
    This is right. I only ever opened the doors of my sportback out of the scheer laziness of not being bothered to open the boot. We rarely have anyone other than ourselves in the car and rarely have to carry anything more than what the boot holds. I defo preferred the old sportback over the 3dr. The 3dr looked awkward at the back. When it came to replacing it though I just thought the 8v looked better as a 3dr (or saloon too actually). I couldn't be happier

Neutral

Status
    Does anyone know what the difference in length is between the two?

SJW
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by manmoth View Post
    Does anyone know what the difference in length is between the two?
    The dimensions are in the Audi brochure if you have it.

The SB is 4310mm in length against the 3dr which is 4237mm.