A3 Body style

b52

Reaction score
What made you choose hatchback over sportback or the other way around?

I chose the SB as I prefer the look and also size!

I wanted the 3 door as the actual doors are bigger and as I am quite tall 6' ish it mean't that the B pillar would be a bit further back so better side view. It was also cheaper .
However my company then said I have to have a 5 door which I am happy with , doors not too much of a biggie now and much easier day to day to put bags , jackets on the back seat. I also believe the ride is better on the 5 door due to the extra length.

Was originally looking at a BMW 1 series 3 door but that is another story

Yep 5 doors more practical and i also think the sport back looks better than the 3 door

I chose the Sportback because the boot and rear legroom are bigger than the 3 door, and I do have passengers and luggage on occasion for longer journeys.

i agree i was originally going to get the 3 door, but didn't want people scraping there feet on the way in/out also with all the traveling i do better to have a bigger car

I agree completely with the above, I have kids and have always had 5 doors.... And for these reasons I went for 3 DOORS....

yes 5 is more practical, yes the mrs is going to complain every time she has to get out of the car to let one of the kids in the back but I don't care, you cannot beat the true sport style and beauty of the 3 door.....

I have looked at 5 door A3's and have found myself wondering, "did I make the right call?" But then I look at the reflection of mine in a shop window and say to myself, Yes I did.....

To you other 3 door owners out there, please like this post to show your support.... less is definitely more.....

Reactions: Rozza7
I chose sportback as I find the doors on most 3 door cars too wide and cause me problems when I have squeezed into the last parking space available at one of the hospitals I spend my days in. I had a Mazda 2 for 6 weeks when there was a recall on my Mazda 6 after the Japanese tsunami and parts were taking a while. I thought parking would be simple in comparison to the Mazda 6, and it was, until I tried getting out of the car :/

Practicality ALWAYS takes precedence over style for me, so was an easy decision - even though I thought for a long time the 3 door was better looking - though I've changed my mind on this since (and not just cause I bought one!)

Everything about mine screams impractical, doors, engine, gearbox..... Mid life crisis perhaps.... And I'm only 32....

I've had a 3 door A3 before actually, as a company car - SE 1.6 Petrol, no options (company weren't going to spend any more money than necessary :p), and I did find it a pain when I gave more than 1 person a lift (which happened a lot)

I don't need 5 doors but with the 8p i went for a sportback because I preferred how it looked. With the 8v it was also an aesthetic choice and I went for the 3 door.

I carry people around regularly, as well carrying a lot of equipment. The practicality of the 5 door over the 3 door was always going to be worth the 6 month wait when I decided to buy one back in October!

Plus, I think the 5 door looks better to me.

similar as above, had a 3 door was a pain when carrying people, 5 door more practical. plus as a company car no 3 door's allowed.

3 door more practical if only 2 people are going to be using it, the wife is sometimes the only person in the car, the Q5 does everything else if needing to move bigger equipment or more people.

3 door more practical if only 2 people are going to be using it, the wife is sometimes the only person in the car, the Q5 does everything else if needing to move bigger equipment or more people.

This is right. I only ever opened the doors of my sportback out of the scheer laziness of not being bothered to open the boot. We rarely have anyone other than ourselves in the car and rarely have to carry anything more than what the boot holds. I defo preferred the old sportback over the 3dr. The 3dr looked awkward at the back. When it came to replacing it though I just thought the 8v looked better as a 3dr (or saloon too actually). I couldn't be happier

Does anyone know what the difference in length is between the two?

The dimensions are in the Audi brochure if you have it.

The SB is 4310mm in length against the 3dr which is 4237mm.