Use of technology whilst driving

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Just picked up this item on a computer information website:

The U.S. Department of Transportation, in conjunction with the National Highway Safety Transportation Administration, recently released voluntary guidelines designed to help automakers create safer in-car technology by limiting the amount of time drivers take their eyes off the road.
Specifically, the guidelines would limit the amount of time a person can interact with the vehicle’s audio / video system to two seconds. Furthermore, systems would be limited to just six screen touches over the course of 12 seconds while manual text entry and the display of websites, social media, books and other text would be banned while the vehicle is in motion.
Current guidelines allow drivers to read messages and perform complex tasks while the vehicle is moving slower than 5 mph. They also permit up to 10 screen touches over the course of 20 seconds while driving at normal speeds.

I assume European manufacturers will have to comply with these 'guidlines' if they intend to sell a model in the US.

Interesting to see if this further advances the use of voice control, this will be very interesting, as Craig pointed out to me some time ago, the newer vehicles don't need spelling of names/places etc, just speak the word, so why you cant use this for each system feature/request etc is beyond me.

I would guess so too, but voice recognition has come on leaps and bounds so that could be the answer.

Edit: ninja'd!

I assume European manufacturers will have to comply with these 'guidlines' if they intend to sell a model in the US.

They would, but it would just be a modification to software so no big deal to have it just for the US market and separate software for EU market. I doubt any manufacturer would want to implement this and compete with non-US market manufacturers without such an impediment!

I for one would vote with my feet!

Whilst the UK and Europe may come up with their own guidelines, there's no reason to believe the US ones will have any impact on us here. Audi already configure their systems differently for the US, with warnings displayed about using the system whilst the vehicle is in motion and possibly other lockouts when you're on the move. It's easy enough for them to configure systems differently and I doubt they'll hamper usage for us unnecessarily just because the US decides to implement certain rules or guidelines.

The way they refer specifically to screen touches is also very interesting, given my previous comments on here about use of touch-screen systems versus manual controls. If they are specifically talking about limiting screen touches only and not the use of physical controls which can be operated without taking your eyes off the road then it would seem that they agree with my assertion that touch-screen systems are inherently less safe to use whilst on the move than are manual controls. Of course they can't really dictate how often you can use manual controls which can be operated without taking your eyes off the road as this is what you're doing anyway during the normal course of driving with steering, indicators, gearshifts and so forth.

Quite a lot of the requirements on current models have originated in the US. Having to put you foot on the brake before you can move from out of Park is just one example directly relevant to Audi, when a number of Americans drove there Audi cars into the end wall of their garages.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Some drivers already disable the 'no video whilst driving' mode saying it's for the benefit of their passengers. It's a bit like HGV drivers having a laptop on the top of the dash so they can watch a film or television whilst they area driving. The problem with a lot of these things is policing them. How many times do you still see drivers using hand-held mobiles whilst driving or not wearing a seat belt.

Using a mechanical operated system is all very well unless you have to look at the screen to see what is happening as you operate the controls. Some things can be done without looking but I'm sure there are a lot which cannot. Voice operation is probably the best way forward. I wonder if voice operation will every tell you off if you swear at at!!!

Last edited:
I think there's a difference between features which make sense and don't really hamper anyone, such as the foot on the brake before engaging gear, and ones which they know will annoy people. When it comes to restricting use of technology whilst the car is in motion, then frankly I think they'd resist doing this unless they have to under legislation as it'd just **** people off and harm sales, especially if the opposition opted not to do so.

I think there's a difference between features which make sense and don't really hamper anyone, such as the foot on the brake before engaging gear, and ones which they know will annoy people. When it comes to restricting use of technology whilst the car is in motion, then frankly I think they'd resist doing this unless they have to under legislation as it'd just **** people off and harm sales, especially if the opposition opted not to do so.

No doubt the EU will legislate about this soon. They seem to about most things.

I remember in 2002 my dad bought a mercedes sl with voice control and it was awful! September last year my dad bought a new s350 cdi and that had voice control and it was brilliant! Early this year he had an e63 amg that was even better. Apparently the dealer told my dad the more you used it the more it got used to you! Like AI , clever stuff........

i think it could work now with the advances in technology.

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums...2D2D43D-2990-0000023787EEA648_zpsf0d36109.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums...D59BE6B-2990-000002377499E69F_zps5468ea20.jpg

he did say the new a6 bi turbo wasn't quite as good with voice control but maybe it was just him.....

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums...BC6BD5-10146-0000057E2F2A587B_zps80ea1d65.jpg

Sean