A3 8V SD Nav SDXC Card Contents

drtav13

Reaction score
could someone with SD Nav post the list of files contained in the SDXC Memory Card?

thanks!

there are over 2300 files on the card which would make a really long and boring post so i've have dumped it here....
a3 sportback sd card - Pastebin.com
out of idle curiosity, i copied the files onto a blank sd card (there is about 5gb of data on a 8gb card), just as a backup, but the satnav did not recognise it.

rich

thank you very much for your time , i'm waiting for my 2013 maps to arrive at my dealership and i intend to do the same test . will let you know how it goes.
there are over 2300 files on the card which would make a really long and boring post so i've have dumped it here....
a3 sportback sd card - Pastebin.com
out of idle curiosity, i copied the files onto a blank sd card (there is about 5gb of data on a 8gb card), just as a backup, but the satnav did not recognise it.

rich

Have you checked that the new card is formatted with the same filesystem as the existing one?

FAT32......I also cloned the card using Acronis as I thought that might work! just gave me a message that said insert medium in sd slot

Boot sector? Command lines? I'm sure Audi have hidden something up their sleeve so you cant easily copy it....

Copy protection using DRM is part of the SD Card standard. It is highly likely that Audi will have protected their copyrighted material using this method.

i don't think the proper SD card DRM is used, if it were you would not be able to read the contents of the card using a regular sd card reader unless it had the other half of the key embedded in it.

what is more likely is that there is a key/license file on the card that matches the cards internal serial number and if they don't match the satnav wont work. now its bit more complicated than this because you cannot read the hidden serial number with a standard card reader, you can read the regular serial number but not the hidden one. anyway, once you've found a way to read this its used as a seed to generate the license/key which unlocks the maps. as it happens its a trivial task to read the hidden serial number however i'd still need to know how audi turn that number into a key.

it is possible to reverse engineer this but then you'd still need to have a dealer/vcds to active the satnav even if you had a genuine card and life's too short to go any further into this.

all i was trying to do was see if i could copy the maps onto a larger card and fill the remaining space with mp3s. i have 50gb of mp3s, 2 old 32gb cards and didn't want to have to buy a single 64gb card for them. experiment failed.

rich

Last edited:
it is possible to reverse engineer this but then you'd still need to have a dealer/vcds to active the satnav even if you had a genuine card and life's too short to go any further into this.

Yep, and if you did manage to activate it with VCDS and bypass the security, Audi would more than likely deactivate it again whenever your car was plugged in at the dealership. I suspect they'd take a dim view of it......

If someone is able to bybass Audi's DRM, I think best place to take a look is; gpsunderground.com/forum/audi