AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By h5djr

Thread: New Audi A3 Sportback ordered - Spare Wheel/tyre dilemma

  1. #1
    SJW
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    209

    New Audi A3 Sportback ordered - Spare Wheel/tyre dilemma

    Good afternoon All,

    I'm a relative newcomer to this great site/forums.

    Apologies if this post by me seems rather peculiar but I am a little baffled that the Audi representative I am dealing with regarding my order has confirmed that the car does not come with a spare wheel/tyre.

    Can those that are enjoying their new cars let me know if their vehicle did come with a spare wheel/tyre or whether you sourced this outside of your car purchase?

    I am of the older school that does not buy into repair kits /expanding foam to fill up a punctured tyre to get me home. Give me a spare wheel/tyre any day of the week. Nothing would worry me more than doing a patch job on a punctured tyre and damaging an alloy. The Audi rep says that my order A3 Sportback (S-line) does not come with a spare although the brochure guide does intimate that it does.

    Apparently the "car does not come with a spare as it is to keep the weight and emissions down", not my words and much to my amusement when I heard this.

    Kind regards,
    Steve

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    557
    Yes - car has a space saver spare wheel located under floor in the boot.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro


  4. #3
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13

    Q3

    Not ordered mine yet so obviously of interest but my research and previous A3 knowledge indicates there will be a 'slim' spare - As I was looking at Q3 also, then I can confirm that a spare is an optional extra so think your salesman is confusing the two and my advice is find another salesman

  5. #4
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    319
    Yep definately has a space saver spare wheel under the boot floor.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-Line 150ps, Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Privacy Glass, SD Sat Nav, Through Load, Aluminium Pedals.

  6. #5
    SJW
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    209
    Thank you Hittchy and Mjh.

    I suspected as much! Spending nearly 30k on a car and having no SSS wheel would be a tad harsh.

    Mjh- lol, an easy mistake to be made by a salesman.

    Thank you for both of your replies.

  7. #6
    MiT
    MiT's Avatar
    Work Hard, Play harder!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    269
    i have a space saver wheel in my car. (evebn with 10 speaker system)

    do you have the B&O sound system spec'd, not sure if the wheel is removed if you do to fit the bass/woofer.
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI S-Line
    Amalfi White || Comfort Pack || Audi Sound System 10 Speakers || Interior Light Pack || Elec Lumber Support || Sat Nav || Non Smoking pack

  8. #7
    mjcourtney's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    South England
    Posts
    903
    The spare wheel is present even with the B&O fitted with the sub in the boot. The sub fits into the top of the wheel in the well, it's a nice design meaning you don't lose any boot space or end up with a can of gunk in place of the spare
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

  9. #8
    SJW
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    209
    Thanks Squiretrolley/Mit and mjcourtney for your replies.

    I reluctantly refrained from having the B&O set up and settled with the Audi system. I had read in another thread that the B&O is fitted with the sub in the boot and does not affect storage /spare wheel space. I think Mjcourtney had previously confirmed this in that other thread.

    Good to know that the SSS wheel is standard based on your replies which helps to clarify my orginal confusion although I thought the brochure was fairly clear.

  10. #9
    mjcourtney's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    South England
    Posts
    903
    The brochure has been improved since the initial confusion, as back in December it was missing a lot of finer detail - and the dealers weren't sure what the situation was with the spare wheel and the B&O / Audi Sound System. I don't think you'll miss out much on the B&O, the Audi System is also excellent and probably much better value for money
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

  11. #10
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    129
    I actually used the picture posted on this forum of the space-saver with B&O sub over the top of it to illustrate to a dealer that this was the case - He had to double-check, and had been telling people that choosing that option would lose them their spare. It just goes to show that this information hasn't been very well communicated; even to the dealers!

  12. #11
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Broughty Ferry
    Posts
    1
    Hi Steve

    Yes, I have the same dilemna, don't like not having a spare. I was told you are supposed to use the foam and drive at low speeds to your nearest tyre shop and then throw the old tyre away as it will be unusable apparently. You can just imagine the situation on the way to the airport to catch a flight! - not a good idea.

    I have just started looking for the answer to this I'll let you know if I get a result

    Cheers
    Doug

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright redA3 View Post
    Hi Steve

    Yes, I have the same dilemna, don't like not having a spare. I was told you are supposed to use the foam and drive at low speeds to your nearest tyre shop and then throw the old tyre away as it will be unusable apparently. You can just imagine the situation on the way to the airport to catch a flight! - not a go

    I have just started looking for the answer to this I'll let you know if I get a result

    Cheers
    Doug
    Quite a few years ago when I had my first A3 I purchased a steel wheel and appropriate tyres to act as a spare wheel and have carried it the boot ever since. I purchased some foam units from Audi to raise the floor to accommodate the wheel and these have been transferred between cars as well. It is quite likely my next A3 will be quattro so I'm sure this spare will not fit, but I will still put it in the large, strong plastic bag provided in the toolkit and place it behind the passenger's seat for my longer journeys across France to Germany.

    A steel 16" wheel costs about £75.00 from Audi + the cost of a tyre.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  14. #13
    snakehips's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    North Herts
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Quite a few years ago when I had my first A3 I purchased a steel wheel and appropriate tyres to act as a spare wheel and have carried it the boot ever since. I purchased some foam units from Audi to raise the floor to accommodate the wheel and these have been transferred between cars as well. It is quite likely my next A3 will be quattro so I'm sure this spare will not fit, but I will still put it in the large, strong plastic bag provided in the toolkit and place it behind the passenger's seat for my longer journeys across France to Germany.

    A steel 16" wheel costs about £75.00 from Audi + the cost of a tyre.
    Just curious, what advantage does this 16" spare give over the normal space saver? Would there still be a speed and distance limitation running with that when combined with the other three 17" or 18" wheels?
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
    Just curious, what advantage does this 16" spare give over the normal space saver? Would there still be a speed and distance limitation running with that when combined with the other three 17" or 18" wheels?
    Not if you put the appropriate size tyre so that it matched the rolling radius. My car is on 17" wheels and 45 series tyres and my spare is a 16" wheel with 50 series tyres so rolling radius and diameter are the same. It would be enough for me to complete my journey and get the damaged tyre sorted the next day. With a space-saver you are limited in both distance and speed.

    On the one occasion I've had a puncture recently the Audi On-Call guy was quite happy with the set-up. I had to call Audi On-Call because there was no way I could get the alloy with the damaged tyre off the hub!. The technician did it with a special hammer with a moving lead weight inside the soft head.

    Perhaps not ideal but better than sitting by the side of a French motorway for hours on a Sunday morning!!
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  16. #15
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by SJW View Post
    Good afternoon All,

    I'm a relative newcomer to this great site/forums.

    Apologies if this post by me seems rather peculiar but I am a little baffled that the Audi representative I am dealing with regarding my order has confirmed that the car does not come with a spare wheel/tyre.

    Can those that are enjoying their new cars let me know if their vehicle did come with a spare wheel/tyre or whether you sourced this outside of your car purchase?

    I am of the older school that does not buy into repair kits /expanding foam to fill up a punctured tyre to get me home. Give me a spare wheel/tyre any day of the week. Nothing would worry me more than doing a patch job on a punctured tyre and damaging an alloy. The Audi rep says that my order A3 Sportback (S-line) does not come with a spare although the brochure guide does intimate that it does.

    Apparently the "car does not come with a spare as it is to keep the weight and emissions down", not my words and much to my amusement when I heard this.

    Kind regards,
    Steve
    Hi Steve,

    Im a newbie too and have also an order placed this week for an A3 SE. Ive been given a May build date, how long did they give you?

  17. #16
    According to the latest October 2013 Price and Specification Guide (page 20) all A3s come with a 'Space-saving spare wheel'. Not sure if that's true in reality but I think the five demonstrators I have driven recently had one. I'm driving an A3 quattro on Thursday I'll make a point of checking what that has with it.
    PilotAudi likes this.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Brand New Audi Flat Bottom Multifunction Steering Wheel
    By N8 in forum For Sale/Wanted - Audi Parts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 2012, 19:33
  2. Audi TTS Spare Wheel/Tyre, AMI & Sat Nav
    By nr7489 in forum TT/TT-S/TT-RS Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th September 2011, 22:15
  3. My new Audi s3 sportback
    By Johnrm in forum The Welcome Section
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14th March 2011, 12:52
  4. Audi A4/ A3 S-LINE WHEELS & TYRES
    By K18KBK in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th April 2009, 13:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO