AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Is this Misano or Brilliant Red

Hi guys,

Re the photos below of the new S3 that was all over the internet a few weeks ago, does anyone know if this is Misano or Brilliant Red ? I ask as I'm configuring the car and trying to reduce the options somewhat (as I've gone a bit mad). The Misano Red is obviously a £525.00 option where as the brilliant Red is "free", and if the below is Brilliant Red, that will do for me.

The S3 below look s great whatever the colour but I've always had a hard time telling them apart ?

rs3 sMALL by Sootchucker, on Flickr

S3 Small by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Oh, and on an unreleated point, I was also looking at the Golf GTD 5 door as an alternative (The A3 is still my 1st choice), and the one thing the Golf does well is storage. It was a decent sized glovebox, 2 good sized underseat drawers and a small pull down cubby hole to the right of the steering wheel. I know the Audi doesn't have the last, but would an S-Line model come with underseat storage (especially if B&O sound system is specifed), and if so, are they of a useful size (anyone got a photo please) ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Sootchucker; 15th April 2013 at 16:34.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I'd take a punt at Misano, this is our cab in Brilliant Red. When we bought this, they had a brand new A5 in the showroom in Misano Red which the wife preferred. It's hard to tell the difference in a photo but I'd say Misano but could be drastically wrong. If it helps, Brilliant Red is a nice deep red, not ''orangey'' in anyway if you know what I mean by that.

2013-04-14 19.41.03.jpg

4th Gear

Status
    Toad went Geneva - infact they may even be his pictures - and he confirmed it is MISANO red.

If you look on the spec sheet (pictures above) somewhere there is a close up and it states misano red.

I agree, on a picture it looks impossible to differentiate brilliant red from misano.
    Even in an Audi garage a few weeks back I looked at misano and it looked like brilliant - I struggled to see the pearl fleck under showroom lights, although in direct sun light I am sure you would see it.

On a number of pics I have seen, including those above, misano has a hint of orange, but first hand I struggled to see the orange hint.

Misano sure is a strange colour and appears to react to light conditions very differently - lovely colour though.
    2013 (63) Audi S5 coupe estoril blue black edition

4th Gear

Status
    EDIT ... look at the two photo's above and you really can see the subtle difference between the two.

Brilliant is solid DEEP red.

Misano is a softer red with a hint of orange and is pearl so has fleck.

Good comparisons the above !

3rd Gear

Status
    Looks Misano to me but could be wrong. Have a look in the S3 thread as someone went to the launch and it was a question that popped up in there. As said above, Misano has a slight orange tint to me in certain lights and the paint 'pops' a lot more in sunlight.

There is a storage compartment under the drivers seat in the A3 - it's meant for the first aid kit. However, it's fair to say the aren't many storage areas - e.g. no sunglasses storage area in the roof and no storage area in the drivers side lower dash.

I see it as a positive now.... I didn't used to use half the stuff kept in there so it's been a good opportunity to clear out!

^^^ Aha... Snake beat me to it. As he said above.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

6th Gear

Status
    the S3 in the first post looks like its Brilliant red, the Missano red is a deeper shade than that. The red with the slightly orangy hue (particularly in bright sunlight) is Absolute Red - the old s3 8L used to come in this colour Classifieds: Audi S3 2002, 78,000 Red. May Swap.

Missano Red 2002 Special order MISANO RED facelift Audi S3, Mods..... - EK9.org JDM EK9 Honda Civic Type R Forum
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

2nd Gear

Status
    I must admit I do miss the storage compartments on the Golf, but the A3 is better in every other aspect no question!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-Line 150ps, Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Privacy Glass, SD Sat Nav, Through Load, Aluminium Pedals.

4th Gear

Status
    Spec sheet show car above up close ....

6th Gear

Status
    Missano it is
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

Third Gear

Status
    Defo Misano, I once made the mistake of ordering brilliant red, always regretted it, Misano looks so much better and is well worth the money. IMO.

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the confirmation guys. Strange how they look so similar in photos and really hard to tell apart.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sootchucker View Post
    Hi guys,

Re the photos below of the new S3 that was all over the internet a few weeks ago, does anyone know if this is Misano or Brilliant Red ? I ask as I'm configuring the car and trying to reduce the options somewhat (as I've gone a bit mad). The Misano Red is obviously a £525.00 option where as the brilliant Red is "free", and if the below is Brilliant Red, that will do for me.

The S3 below look s great whatever the colour but I've always had a hard time telling them apart ?

rs3 sMALL by Sootchucker, on Flickr

S3 Small by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Oh, and on an unreleated point, I was also looking at the Golf GTD 5 door as an alternative (The A3 is still my 1st choice), and the one thing the Golf does well is storage. It was a decent sized glovebox, 2 good sized underseat drawers and a small pull down cubby hole to the right of the steering wheel. I know the Audi doesn't have the last, but would an S-Line model come with underseat storage (especially if B&O sound system is specifed), and if so, are they of a useful size (anyone got a photo please) ?

Thanks.
    Seems you have sorted it now but as i took these shots at Geneva I can def confirm it is Misano Red

Neutral

Status
    Thank you very much (hope you didn't mind me using your Photos for illustration) ?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sootchucker View Post
    Thank you very much (hope you didn't mind me using your Photos for illustration) ?
    Your welcome, more than happy that all those photos i took at Geneva are put to good use!

NB: The very bright lighting at Geneva was ideal for show car photographs, so seeing colors in differing light levels is important to get a real world feel for the colours. Its amazing how much difference there can seem to be just with differing light. This may account for some of the varying views on this thread. Trying to see cars in estoril blue - which is a colour I am really interested in for the S3 has also brought this home to me.