Is this Misano or Brilliant Red

Sootchucker

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Re the photos below of the new S3 that was all over the internet a few weeks ago, does anyone know if this is Misano or Brilliant Red ? I ask as I'm configuring the car and trying to reduce the options somewhat (as I've gone a bit mad). The Misano Red is obviously a £525.00 option where as the brilliant Red is "free", and if the below is Brilliant Red, that will do for me.

The S3 below look s great whatever the colour but I've always had a hard time telling them apart ?

rs3 sMALL by Sootchucker, on Flickr

S3 Small by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Oh, and on an unreleated point, I was also looking at the Golf GTD 5 door as an alternative (The A3 is still my 1st choice), and the one thing the Golf does well is storage. It was a decent sized glovebox, 2 good sized underseat drawers and a small pull down cubby hole to the right of the steering wheel. I know the Audi doesn't have the last, but would an S-Line model come with underseat storage (especially if B&O sound system is specifed), and if so, are they of a useful size (anyone got a photo please) ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'd take a punt at Misano, this is our cab in Brilliant Red. When we bought this, they had a brand new A5 in the showroom in Misano Red which the wife preferred. It's hard to tell the difference in a photo but I'd say Misano but could be drastically wrong. If it helps, Brilliant Red is a nice deep red, not ''orangey'' in anyway if you know what I mean by that.

View attachment 14154

Toad went Geneva - infact they may even be his pictures - and he confirmed it is MISANO red.

If you look on the spec sheet (pictures above) somewhere there is a close up and it states misano red.

I agree, on a picture it looks impossible to differentiate brilliant red from misano.
Even in an Audi garage a few weeks back I looked at misano and it looked like brilliant - I struggled to see the pearl fleck under showroom lights, although in direct sun light I am sure you would see it.

On a number of pics I have seen, including those above, misano has a hint of orange, but first hand I struggled to see the orange hint.

Misano sure is a strange colour and appears to react to light conditions very differently - lovely colour though.

EDIT ... look at the two photo's above and you really can see the subtle difference between the two.

Brilliant is solid DEEP red.

Misano is a softer red with a hint of orange and is pearl so has fleck.

Good comparisons the above !

Looks Misano to me but could be wrong. Have a look in the S3 thread as someone went to the launch and it was a question that popped up in there. As said above, Misano has a slight orange tint to me in certain lights and the paint 'pops' a lot more in sunlight.

There is a storage compartment under the drivers seat in the A3 - it's meant for the first aid kit. However, it's fair to say the aren't many storage areas - e.g. no sunglasses storage area in the roof and no storage area in the drivers side lower dash.

I see it as a positive now.... I didn't used to use half the stuff kept in there so it's been a good opportunity to clear out!

^^^ Aha... Snake beat me to it. As he said above.:thumbsup:

I must admit I do miss the storage compartments on the Golf, but the A3 is better in every other aspect no question!

Spec sheet show car above up close ....

Defo Misano, I once made the mistake of ordering brilliant red, always regretted it, Misano looks so much better and is well worth the money. IMO.

Mark

Thanks for the confirmation guys. Strange how they look so similar in photos and really hard to tell apart.

Hi guys,

Re the photos below of the new S3 that was all over the internet a few weeks ago, does anyone know if this is Misano or Brilliant Red ? I ask as I'm configuring the car and trying to reduce the options somewhat (as I've gone a bit mad). The Misano Red is obviously a £525.00 option where as the brilliant Red is "free", and if the below is Brilliant Red, that will do for me.

The S3 below look s great whatever the colour but I've always had a hard time telling them apart ?

rs3 sMALL by Sootchucker, on Flickr

S3 Small by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Oh, and on an unreleated point, I was also looking at the Golf GTD 5 door as an alternative (The A3 is still my 1st choice), and the one thing the Golf does well is storage. It was a decent sized glovebox, 2 good sized underseat drawers and a small pull down cubby hole to the right of the steering wheel. I know the Audi doesn't have the last, but would an S-Line model come with underseat storage (especially if B&O sound system is specifed), and if so, are they of a useful size (anyone got a photo please) ?

Thanks.

Seems you have sorted it now but as i took these shots at Geneva I can def confirm it is Misano Red :)

Thank you very much (hope you didn't mind me using your Photos for illustration) ?

Thank you very much (hope you didn't mind me using your Photos for illustration) ?

Your welcome, more than happy that all those photos i took at Geneva are put to good use!

NB: The very bright lighting at Geneva was ideal for show car photographs, so seeing colors in differing light levels is important to get a real world feel for the colours. Its amazing how much difference there can seem to be just with differing light. This may account for some of the varying views on this thread. Trying to see cars in estoril blue - which is a colour I am really interested in for the S3 has also brought this home to me.