Red AMI cable

Dan the man

Reaction score
After reading about the blue and red collar AMI cables ref art work etc I made sure I had a red one when I got the car.

they gave me this one.

Now this cable doesn't work with my iPod, the wife's iPod or iPhone? Part number 4F0 051 510R

Could someone who has a red cable that works please check the part number for me and send me the correct one if it isn't as pictured above?

Many thanks

Last edited:
The same thing happened to me and after doing some research i discovered that certain ipods wern't compatible with this lead. My ipod classic didn't work. I bought an ipod touch 4th generation and this works perfectly showing all artwork and video playback. Also i tried my sisters ipod nano 6th gen and this also worked.

Hope this helps.

Yeah the wife's is a 3rd & mine is a 6th generation Nano and an iPhone 4.

I've got an iPhone 5 but stream music from that.

Yeah the wife's is a 3rd & mine is a 6th generation Nano
- you mean they're both Nanos?

I've got an iPhone 5 but stream music from that.
Stream via bluetooth, you mean, or with an adapter for the cable?

All the issues in the past seem to have been to do with the artwork but you just said that your cable doesn't work. Are you getting any sound through it at all? Or maybe even a track listing?

Yeah they are both nano's.

no I stream music via Bluetooth on my iPhone 5, the album artwork comes up with the streaming too.

I looked at the post before I started this thread but according to that it should work?

Still none the wiser? Lol.

No I mean this bit from this page:

All the issues in the past seem to have been to do with the artwork but you just said that your cable doesn't work. Are you getting any sound through it at all? Or maybe even a track listing?

There's another thread with a snagging list of common issues. If we can get all the details of this it might be worth adding to the list.

I see, lol.

Nah, it just just comes up device not supported? Can't access anything on the iPod as it doesn't show it?

Quick update, I went back today and got a blue collar cable, my iPod now works fine but I just see a list of the tracks and no album artwork?
still not working with the red cable as mentioned above?

any ideas guys?

Quick update, I went back today and got a blue collar cable, my iPod now works fine but I just see a list of the tracks and no album artwork?
still not working with the red cable as mentioned above?

any ideas guys?

The blue ended cable will not display artwork. If your ipod was not working correctly with the red cable then you will probably have an early generation ipod like myself.

I have just copied my tunes to a 16gb SD card and I leave this in the car. Artwork displays fine and no need to be connecting the ipod on every journey.

Hi all, I've been reading the forum with interest since ordering my Audi A3 Sportback in January, it's due for delivery next month. I've assumed that I'll be able to use a red mmi cable with my iPhone 5 so long as I buy a lightening adapter from Apple? Is this correct?

Sorry if its been covered before but I've not seen it.

thanks, Ross

Is there any loss of functionality in just getting the alternative USB<->MMI cable instead ? then plug the standard lightning cable into it for the iP5, and any other cable of any other device which already comes with a USB cable.

Seems restrictive to just have a specific connector on the end if a bogo USB female one would give the same functionality but with more versatility.

For any output from iPhone/iPod you will need the proper cable. The USB one is designed for hard drives/flash drives. iPods/iPhones do not output their music over USB, just data and power can pass.