AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

Clutch Slipping after 4 months

Hi All,

Has anyone had any issues with the clucth slipping on their A3? I noticed this within a few months of buying the car, particularly when in 'Auto' or 'Dynamic' Drive Select mode. RPM would shoot up at around 2200rpm without the corresponding increase in road speed.

I've booked into my local Audi centre on Wednesday for three days for the gearbox to be removed and the clucth assessed. I'm told it won't necessarily be covered by warranty.

I do a relatively long commute to work (80 mile round trip) on A-Roads with minimal traffic. Car has almost 7,000 miles on the clock.

Any advice or similar past experiences would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Wont be covered on warranty . WTF ?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Audi service guy said if the clutch is found to be 'burnt' it may not be covered. Not sure what that means- but will be fighting my corner if they don't cover it.
    Audi A3 1.6TDI S Line Brilliant Red

3rd Gear

Status
    I should hope so too, if it was an S with a st2 i would be inclined to say yes but a 1.6 diesel no way

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    Thats ridiculous. Regardless of how you drive the car it should definitely be covered under warranty. I can see how they could class a clutch as a "wear and tear" item but to not cover it under the warranty, especially being only 4 months in, is absurd.
    Audi A3 2.0TFSI S Line SE DSG

JMB Retrofits - North East Retrofit Company

1st Gear

Status
    They will be able to tell if its had hard launches and if it has they will say that is the cause and is wear and tear (an M3 clutch pack on a e46 m3 in S7 gearbox mode would last 4/5 launches before te clutch was knackered) so that's what they will try and say is wrong I'm guessing

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    I can certainly see your point, in an M3, but not in a 1.6TDI. You'd need to be pulled by a few more horses to get a hard launch, unless the clutch is made of Wensleydales finest.
    Audi A3 2.0TFSI S Line SE DSG

JMB Retrofits - North East Retrofit Company

5th Gear

Status
    If you check the warranty Ts & Cs you'll see that clutches aren't covered at all, as they are classed as wear and tear items (the friction plates at least). That said, I would expect Audi to take care of you on this as it is such a new model and you haven't had it long!
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

1st Gear

Status
    Hmmm I've noticed on mine if the road is a tiny bit damp/wet its easy to get the wheels spinning a bit if you try and accelerate too quickly. Could it be something like that you are experiencing, and possibly the traction control kicking in?
    A3 2.0 TDI S Line Daytona Grey with Comfort Pack and SD Sat Nav. LOVE IT !!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    Get ready with a strong letter of complaint to Audi Customer Services and/or Financial Services if the car has been purchased through them if they decide this is out of scope for warranty cover. It'd take some pretty shoddy driving to burn a clutch in 7000 miles.
    In 26 years of driving I've only ever had one clutch need replacing and that was on a car with 89,000 miles on it.
    2013 Audi TT 2.0 TFSI S Line Black Edition. Misano Red.
    Amplified Black Package. Comfort Package. Technology Package. Heated Seats.

http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/xxxcorps/media/photo1_zps1e5c9a3f.jpg.html

3rd Gear

Status
    Unfortunately, many components are excluded from the 3 year warranty, but Audi never market that. There's a document on their website outlining the details.

http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/au...conditions.pdf

I've had numerous issues with the clutch on my A4. They did some work in the first 6 months, but then when further problems became apparent after 18 months they wanted me to pay. It was only a small judder when the car was really hot so I've just lived with it. However, if they ever did work like this I the future, I'd want a written guarantee that any clutch work (or other consequential work) would be covered for the full 3 years.

It's a fair point about clutches being open to abuse, but I think they're firmly in the minority. Hold your ground with the dealer - it's up to them to prove its been abused. Ask them to retain all parts because you may wish to have your own independent inspection done if the results are disputed.

Also, don't forget your statutory protection under the Sale of Goods Act. Would a normal person reasonably expect a clutch to last longer than 3 years? If so, regardless of warranty, you'd stand a good chance of winning.
    Last edited by hittchy; 9th April 2013 at 20:22.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro