Auto dipping kerbside mirror

Quimbaby

Reaction score
Hi all - quick question on the wing mirrors that hopefully someone can help with.

I have the folding mirrors on my new A3 but thought there was supposed to be a function where the passenger side automatically dips when reversing so you can see the kerb. Mine doesn't do this - is there some way I'm supposed to activate this? Thanks!

If it's like the Golf, you have to make sure the adjustment switch is set to the 'L' position.

If it's like the Golf, you have to make sure the adjustment switch is set to the 'L' position.

do you not have to set it up first , as in move the mirrors to the dipped height you require, then it will always move to that height when reversing with the mirror knob switched to either left or right?, we are all different and may need it set at different heights, or do audi just set it when the cars being built?

do you not have to set it up first , as in move the mirrors to the dipped height you require....

Yes, quite possibly.
In Golfs I have driven (Mk.6), it only works on the LH mirror, so if you set the knob to the middle or 'R' position, nothing happens.

There's a bit of chat over in this thread here between people who have had it activated after purchase by VCDS. It would be good to get a be-all-abd-end-all confirmation on how this works, and whether the VCDS option is any different (maybe someone could make a video..? :-D)

Yes it does require setting up before first use so that the system knows what height to set it to. The details are in the manual on how to set it up. Will try and dig them out later.

Once calibrated it will dip in reverse but only when the mirror selection switch is on the left mirror setting (the 10 o'clock position). It will move back to normal height after you move forward above 5/10mph.

Point to note: the dip settings are stored against the particular key you used to start the car. So if your partner is a different height they can use their key to open the car and it will use their settings to dip the mirror appropriately in reverse.