Wheel Cleaning on the S-line

mjcourtney

Reaction score
On advice from some other members I ordered some Billbury wheel cleaner to help clean the wheels on my S-line. Valet PRO Bilberry Wheel Cleaner 5L - Buy online from i4detailing.co.uk

It arrived today.... sort of.....

Royal Mail are clearly employing elephants in their sorting offices, because despite the bottle being packed inside a SEALED plastic bag, then cushioned in lots of polystyrene foam, and then placed in a cardboard box, they managed to handle the box so badly that everything exploded.

It looked like something out of a horror movie, or some forensic evidence bag - I wasn't entirely sure which bit of body I was going to find in the box....

IMAG0673

Anyway, once I'd wiped the blood off the bottle and examined the instructions it says 'Not suitable for un-laquered polished rims' - my question is: Is this ok to use on the S-line wheels? It was my understanding that they are polished rather than fully painted / laquered.

In the mean time i'm waiting for a replacement bottle!

Last edited:
They're fully lacquered. Bilberry is fine on them although I wouldn't use too often. I've just removed all my wheels to give a coat of Chemical Guys Wheel Guard. Once on, all you need is soapy water with an EZ Detail brush and all the grime falls off. Re-coat with wheel guard every 4-6 months and you're landed.

Many thanks! I've got some of the AutoGlym Wheel Sealant to apply once i've given them a clean with the Billbery, so hopefully won't need to use the cleaner too often.

The other product well worth the money (especially on white) is Autosmart Tardis. It's fairly cheap and makes short work of tar spots - much better than any other I've tried.

I also use this on the inside of the alloys before re-applying the wheel protector. Around here, the wheels tend to pick up loads of tar.

I coated mine with Poor Boys wheel sealer last week, and have just given them a blast with the pressure washer tonight. The dirt just blasts right off them now.

A weaker solution of Bilberry is great though.

I coated mine with Poor Boys wheel sealer last week, and have just given them a blast with the pressure washer tonight. The dirt just blasts right off them now.

A weaker solution of Bilberry is great though.

At the weekend treated my current A3 16" standard alloys with Mer power foam wheel cleaner and Wonder Wheels spray sealer and have driven around 400 miles in last 4 days and hardly any dust or grime on them at all......seriously impressed

It's a good few years since I have used a wheel cleaner as I have always found them damaging in some way.i have been using poor boys wheel sealant for a few years now and have found it very good, brake dust comes off the wheels much easier, without running the risk of causing any damage. I must admit though I have been looking at this Billberry product and have read some very good reviews, I think if you use it sparingly and don't leave it on the rim for too long all should be ok.

Mark

It's a good few years since I have used a wheel cleaner as I have always found them damaging in some way.i have been using poor boys wheel sealant for a few years now and have found it very good, brake dust comes off the wheels much easier, without running the risk of causing any damage. I must admit though I have been looking at this Billberry product and have read some very good reviews, I think if you use it sparingly and don't leave it on the rim for too long all should be ok.

Mark

I too have found some wheel cleaners to damage the finish over time.

I need to get upto date on detailing now , stop being lazy and just paying £4 at the abandoned petrol station .

Im thinking of getting mine supaguarded, with wheel + protection.......... Thoughts?

Sean

I need to get upto date on detailing now , stop being lazy and just paying £4 at the abandoned petrol station .

Im thinking of getting mine supaguarded, with wheel + protection.......... Thoughts?

Sean

I personally wouldn't bother with the Supaguard. Spend £100 on some quality materials and you'll get a much better finish for as little as a days work once every six months. Some waxes like Collinite will easily last 6-12 months. All you need in between is a weekly wash and dry.

With wheel cleaners, I find they cause more damage to the hubs and brake calipers in the first couple of years. I know Bilberry is quite weak, but still harsher than soapy water.

I personally wouldn't bother with the Supaguard. Spend £100 on some quality materials and you'll get a much better finish for as little as a days work once every six months. Some waxes like Collinite will easily last 6-12 months. All you need in between is a weekly wash and dry.

Agree, Collinite 845 and 915 are excellent. Recently I've been going with 845 as its much easier to work with.

Sean

As previously stated buy some quality products and do it yourself. I bought a black fire ice on fire kit from Polished Bliss a few yrs ago and have achieved very good results and it provide the same sort of protection and a better finish for a 1/3 of the price.It provides paint protection, carnauba wax and quick detailer, people always comment on the finish on my vehicles. I've just bought a Fiesta Zetec to run round in until my Sportback arrives and gave it the treatment,it looks amazing and must be the shiniest Fiesta ever. (Bit of a waste of quality products really)

Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: s33nyboy12
I bought a black fire ice on fire kit from Polished Bliss a few yrs ago and have achieved very good results and it provide the same sort of protection and a better finish for a 1/3 of the price.

I was seriously tempted by the Blackfire kit. The only thing that put me off was the durability. I tend to be a lazy detailer these days and can't manage two/three month top-ups. The finish though is undoubtedly the best I've seen on Audi paint.

I was seriously tempted by the Blackfire kit. The only thing that put me off was the durability. I tend to be a lazy detailer these days and can't manage two/three month top-ups. The finish though is undoubtedly the best I've seen on Audi paint.

i originally bought it for my Sprint Blue S3 which looked fab, I have used it on BMW silver and RR Orkney grey both with great results. It does take a bit of time but is worth the effort. I usually clay the car, polish ( if required) and then apply the paint protection, polish off and leave for 8 hrs before applying the wax, I then if I can be bothered apply further coats of wax each with 8hrs between to build up shine and protection. The products are very user friendly,easy to use and neither process needs a huge amount of effort.

For me this kit was great value for money, yrs worth of product and protection for up to 6 months.

Mark. (I am also a lazy detailer)

Anyone used/recommend Chemical Guys Mellow Yellow for wheels?

For me this kit was great value for money, yrs worth of product and protection for up to 6 months.

Mark. (I am also a lazy detailer)

Cheers Mark.

You may just have inspired me to try it out with that last statement! The results really are outstanding.
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detail...-routine-dark-metallic-pearlescent-audis.html

Just need to justify another £150.
Blackfire Wet Ice Over Fire Kit | Show Winning Car Paint Protection Kit

Apologies to mjcourtney - it appears we've hijacked the tread into a full detailing discussion.

Last edited:
Yeah...... :angrymod::whip:

No this is all good info :) and it answered my main question regarding the Billberry - I shall use it sparingly! There are more nooks and crannies on the S-line wheels than it first appears from the photos or from first glance.

I really need to get the foam lance out again and take some comedy pics of the car when covered :)

PS: mjc - haven't forgotten about the DVD, just haven't got round to it yet - I'm useless, sorry.

Yeah...... :angrymod::whip:

No this is all good info :) and it answered my main question regarding the Billberry - I shall use it sparingly! There are more nooks and crannies on the S-line wheels than it first appears from the photos or from first glance.

The small bit between the two spokes is a nightmare!

Agreed! You think you've got it all until you move the car forward a foot and find ALL the bits you missed :(

Agreed! You think you've got it all until you move the car forward a foot and find ALL the bits you missed :(

I always have the trolley jack in use and wheels off the ground makes it easier. I have supagard protection on my Q5 and A3 so the wheels are protected with a hard coat and clean VERY easy.

If only there was a coat hard enough to stop the wives kerbing them! :D

Well you've heard of the 'car bra', now there's the 'AlloyGator' - I kid you not....

:3sadwalk:

Last edited by a moderator:
I really need to swot up n how to detail your car properly.

i normally wash it and that's it, but I've seen some on here and at shows that look amazing detailed.

can anyone recommend a step by step process they favour , with hints and tips??.

Sean

I really need to swot up n how to detail your car properly.

i normally wash it and that's it, but I've seen some on here and at shows that look amazing detailed.

can anyone recommend a step by step process they favour , with hints and tips??.

Sean

I started a new detailing thread to avoid hijacking this one any further. I've already posted up my plans for the next sunny day. Hopefully others will do the same.
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-8v-chassis/185282-detailing-a3.html#post1837134

There 's also some great write-ups from Polished Bliss in the detailing forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: s33nyboy12
I really need to get the foam lance out again and take some comedy pics of the car when covered :)

PS: mjc - haven't forgotten about the DVD, just haven't got round to it yet - I'm useless, sorry.

The neighbours think I'm crazy!! :wtf:

E35F6C92-9E10-4D31-B8F5-701EFD880BE7-2091-0000011F90077B2D.jpg