Badger5Sky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

A3 MMI plays .WAV files (lossless format) and possible for album artwork to display

Having had the new car a week or so have been playing with various file formats and seeing what would \ would not play I'm fairly chuffed I can play a lossless format as it does sound a bit more 'solid' compared to some of the MP3 (320) files I created....not a massive difference in sound I admit but for those of us who would prefer a non compressed music format, I thought it was useful to share.

I have previously ripped all my CDs onto a WAV format by using Windows Media Player to make it easy to stream music in the house via Xbox 360 and whilst I was happy enough to see WAV files copied onto an SDXC playing in the car, I was surprised that simply copying the entire album folder to the SD card the Audi MMI picked up the album art.

I know you cannot embed album art into a WAV file so looks like whatever files Windows Media Player creates for album art the A3 MMI can read it.
    A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Sport in Monsoon Grey with added extras - 5 arm 'kinetic' design wheels, comfort pack, audi sound system, storage and luggage pack, SD Satnav and Interior Light Pack.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Interesting! Didn't think it could play any lossless formats. Does WMP create a companion file to contain the artwork then?
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

1st Gear

Status
    Had a wee look at the folder that WMP creates when ripping a CD and it does create a few image files relating to album art so can only imagine one of these files is being read by the MMI software. I did copy the entire folder onto the SD Card so the image files must also be on the card.

Like you'd posted a while back there is no suggestion in the owners manual that WAV files could be played back but no complaints from me if they can be....
    A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Sport in Monsoon Grey with added extras - 5 arm 'kinetic' design wheels, comfort pack, audi sound system, storage and luggage pack, SD Satnav and Interior Light Pack.

Reverse Gear

Status

File extensions?

Bro, could you show in an image how it looks or describe the file extensions that WMP created for your CD rip?<br>Much appreciated!<br><br>Lumacmu

<br><br>
    Quote Originally Posted by PjDali View Post
    Had a wee look at the folder that WMP creates when ripping a CD and it does create a few image files relating to album art so can only imagine one of these files is being read by the MMI software. I did copy the entire folder onto the SD Card so the image files must also be on the card.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Like you'd posted a while back there is no suggestion in the owners manual that WAV files could be played back but no complaints from me if they can be....
    <br>
    <br>

1st Gear

Status
    Will try and do this tomorrow.