DPF Error today

Spurrellian

Reaction score
Car has 1300 miles and is a 1.6tdi just over a month old. Over the past week the fan has been on when turning the car off and had a hot smell to it. Managed to clear the message by taking it for a good run. Ill admit I've been doing short journeys but quite surprised by this. Anybody else had this issue?

Oh and also the passenger seat lifter rattles. Its not broken but i can hear it rattle on rough roads.Can I take it back to get it fixed?

When you say 'short journeys', how short are we talking?

And yes, if you've identified a rattle take it back to be fixed under warranty. Garages are well used to this on new cars so it won't seem picky.

Ive had the same scenario with my A6 MY12 2.0 TDI especially after short journeys, spoke to my local car dealer about it and they said its nothing to get concerned about, its just the way they operate, I have to admit at first it was a little disconcerting...rang other Audi dealers for verification but they came back with the same message, I would suggest giving your dealer a call...never had this issue with previous BMWs, hope this may help.

I've had this on my VW before. The manual says drive in 4th gear for 15 mins at 2000 revs and that clears it. It's just a build up of crap in the DPF which needs blowing out. A pain but nothing else, and yes, I also do short journeys, sometimes a few miles and less.

I have a 2.0 litre 150 PS TDI A3 Sport with similar mileage to yours, I occasionally hear the fans run on along with the hot smell you describe when parking up on the drive and always put it down to the DPF 'regenerating', my previous Golf Mk6 2.0 litre TDI would also do the same. The first time it happens you do tend to think there's a problem, but in my experience the process normally stops within a few minutes.

I do a fair amount of small journey's (school run etc.) between the occasional longer journeys, never had the DPF warning light on though.

Thanks for the replies

Some days I only do 12 miles a day to and from work. After I posted this question I read this on the AA website http://i.imgur.com/KJXJeXg.gif

The rattle is tiny but bugging me so will book it in

Cheers

Just paste the **** out of your car for a bit ( spirited driving I mean ) :)

most my family and friends live within 3 miles of me, so I do a lot of short journeys in my cars and I've never had any DPF problems on the 7 diesel cars I've had.

Sean

Just paste the **** out of your car for a bit ( spirited driving I mean ) :)

most my family and friends live within 3 miles of me, so I do a lot of short journeys in my cars and I've never had any DPF problems on the 7 diesel cars I've had.

Sean

Had this very same problem this morning.There is a procedure in owner's manual to attempt to remedy the problem and when I followed the instructions , the warning disappeared after about 10 mins in 5th gear and 60mph. I went directly to dealers who checked everything, basically it was due to amount of driving and like previous comments I was informed this was normal.

Strange that I never had it in my previous 8V with no difference in my driving characteristics.

I get it approx once every three weeks or so. Mines now has 9500k on the clock (1.6TDI s-tronic). This is my 5 diesel and they've all been the same. A good thrashing every week tends to keep the DPF happy.

Reactions: Sean Byrne
I had a Mokka diesel and it used to come on in that as I did small journeys, the remaining oil life % also dropped fast as well, something to do with if you stop the regeneration before it's finished, it dumps crud into your engine oil!! When I contacted Vauxhal customer support about both problems and said that the oil will need changing in under 3000 miles from the last change, they told me that I was driving the car incorrectly and that I should be hitting 4000 revs for at least 20 mins per day and if the cleaning light is on don't stop driving until it goes off! :blink: (I just tried to find the email but it's gone...made for amusing reading).

I work for Vauxhall in the car plant and mentioned it to my shift manager, he brought it up at a European meeting after the big boss said "I'd like to know what our employees think of our vehicles", he told him the entire story and how ridiculous the 'fix' was. The big boss replied with "He has bought the wrong car" and then moved on to other questions!

Soon after I sold the Mokka and bought the Audi :) My shift manager was shocked by the answer he received, so when he saw the same boss again he told him that I had acted on his advice about 'buying the wrong car' and have now sold it and bought an Audi, even though I have worked for Vauxhall for 20 years :D

Reactions: Scottyg
Doesn't surprise me with VX. Had a major fight with them when I had an Insignia that wouldn't do more than 28 mpg (2lt Diesel Auto) It went to Luton for 7 weeks. After all that time, they came back with 'characteristic' of the engine!!! VX disagreed with 3 independent finding of a faulty autobox and refused to fix it!! I did the same as you and sold it. Never again!

They are doing themselves no favours! A lot of guys in there are buying their company cars, keeping them a year and selling them on at a profit! Then buying Audi, BMW, Mercedes. I bought my Mokka off them on the 11th March 2014 and collected the Audi on the 11th march 2015. You sign to say you will keep it 12 months before selling it on, before that you have to hand any profit over, + 20% on top!!! After 12 months they can't check up, BUT expect you to be honest and hand any profit over!!! Yeah OK lmao :D

Reactions: Scottyg
lol I know, when I was on the phone asking the question (obviously no name given and 141 entered ) I said "I understand during the first year you can ask for proof of ownership at anytime and if it's not available proof of sale, but what happens after the year?"...to which she replied "You don't have to tell us that you have sold it, but we expect you to be honest and contact us to arrange sending us any profit made". It was at that point I did laugh and say "Does anyone ever do that?"....she just said keep it the year and you will be fine :) So I bought it for £10k, had it the full 12 months and sold it for £14k ;)