Suspension Settings on S Line Sportback

paul8852

Reaction score
Now that a number of you lucky people have been driving your Sportbacks for about a week now, just wondered what your thoughts are on the ride quality, particularly interested to hear how the S Lines are doing in Sport set up as opposed to SE, my reasoning is that the roads aren't great where I live, ideally would have liked 45s instead of 40s on my S Line, having seen some S Lines with SE set ups it's difficult to tell them apart (which is good) should I be deselecting the Sport suspension?

I've just driven both the standard and Sports suspension. Standard felt great, very comfortably with plenty of grip. The Sports did pick up every bump in the road. Admittedly both drives were around London so didn't really get either up to speed but I think I will be deselecting the Sports suspension.

I have the sports suspension on my car and coupled with the 18" wheels and low profile tyres it does pick out the bumps. But... On the dynamic setting on a twisty B road it's lots of fun!

I've just driven both the standard and Sports suspension. Standard felt great, very comfortably with plenty of grip. The Sports did pick up every bump in the road. Admittedly both drives were around London so didn't really get either up to speed but I think I will be deselecting the Sports suspension.
Thanks for your messages, just wondering BigD whether the standard suspension looked okay with the S Line trim or a little top heavy? saw some pictures of a S Line Sportback with SE Suspension settings last week which looked great can you verify this

I only drove an SE with 17in wheels and a sport on 17in. I haven't seen an S Line on standard suspension but I'm getting close to placing an order for one. The Sport suspension just picked up every bump in the road. The standard was very smooth..

actually, if i may ask, has anyone got an S-Line with the standard suspension set up that could take a photo to show the wheel arch clearance (ride height), as im also think of selecting the SE supension, but don't want the car to look like its a 4x4 with huge wheel arch gaps.

Thanks BigD. Might be blind, but I can't see where it's stated they are running on the standard SE setup ?

Thanks BigD. Might be blind, but I can't see where it's stated they are running on the standard SE setup ?

Yep, that's my car and it is indeed SE suspension. If you want closer photos of the wheelarch / gap I can try and get some tomorrow.

Edit: Here's a high res version of the side view:

P1000276

You can zoom in on this link:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/attach...ension-settings-s-line-sportback-p1000276.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, that's my car and it is indeed SE suspension. If you want closer photos of the wheelarch / gap I can try and get some tomorrow.
That would be great if you could MJ, have now configured my A3 S Line Sportback 1.4 COD & this is the only missing piece of the jigsaw, really want to get it ordered before the weekend as prices are due to go up according to my local dealer...that may be sales talk but think its genuine, integrating the DAB radio as standard has to paid for somewhere
icon9.png

Just uploaded a high res photo to my previous post. Will take some more tomorrow.
That would be greatly appreciated MJ if weather permits, a couple of close ups of the wheel arches would do the trick...wish I could step up to the B&O it looks great in your shots.

Thanks MJ you're a star... and these shots have put my mind at rest. My dealer suggested that the arches would be much more obvious with the higher setting which is clearly not the case, its barely noticeable at all, and a lot of the time I will be transporting the four of us so will sit lower still :yes: Thanks again for all your help on this , presumably you're still pleased with the ride, no regrets in picking SE over Sport?

No problem, happy to help!

The ride is really good, and i'm very pleased with it. If i'm being very picky you can feel the 18" wheels thudding slightly more than on the 17" I had previously, but the SE suspension soaks it all up nicely and it's more comfy than my previous A3 on Sport suspension. Aesthetically I can't tell any difference in ride height, and I've found that people are too busy looking at the stunning wheels to notice a 10mm bigger gap :)

All I will say is those wheels are a b*tch to clean :lmfao:

Looking at those photos makes me wish I'd gone for the SE suspension. My wife's always moaning about ride comfort in my mk5 golf GT with 18" wheels.

Interesting! How does that stop the hubs rusting? Or is that what the sealant is for?

The USUAL wheel cleaner that you can buy, and that a car wash (even hand car wash) will use has an acidic formula that erodes the paint from the hubs of your car. The Bilberry stuff doesn't and is a lot kinder to your vehicle, the Autoglym sealant spray puts a coating on your wheels which stops brake dust, tar and grime building up on them; spend £30 on the stuff I've posted; I'll guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Your car looks beautiful by the way so only fair to look after her and treat her well...

Last edited:
Sounds good to me. Well timed too, pay day tomorrow!

That brush is especially good for cleaning the insides and backs of your wheels and also the brakes; great service from i4detailing too.

Peter

I can vouch for Bilberry wheel cleaner, been using it for years. Acid free, and works extremely well.

I also use a Poorboys Wheel sealant, in a tub, it is amazing stuff. The brake dust just falls off, especially when you use Bilberrys.

Anyway back on the topic - looking at the photos of the White S-Line with SE suspension has made me think seriously about changing my spec to deselect the Sport suspension unless it is too late (build week 16). My days of driving cars with overly-firm rides are definitely behind me (that said, I don't believe from what I've read that the standard Sport suspension will be too firm, it will probably be acceptable).

I'd be interested to hear others' views on the suspension, ie Sport vs SE, ideally with 18" alloys.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to hear others' views on the suspension, ie Sport vs SE, ideally with 18" alloys.

The 8v S Line with sport suspension I had for the weekend was a far more comfortable and less jarring ride than my current Black Edition A3... That said it isn't such a firm ride anyhow in my opinion; it could be worse like the BMW 1er M Sport I used to have with 18" run flats. Now that was a hard ride!!

I picked up my SB 2.0TDi S Line today and I too deselected the sport suspension due to long drives and pot-holed small roads.

My car was side by side with another A3 with the Sport suspension and to be honest there wasn't much in it at all.

Having been out in it all afternoon (as you do) I'm very pleased with the ride and have definately made the right decision for my driving habits.

Compared to my A3 cab Sport followed by the TT Roadster S Line this is like driving on air!

I picked up my SB 2.0TDi S Line today and I too deselected the sport suspension due to long drives and pot-holed small roads.

My car was side by side with another A3 with the Sport suspension and to be honest there wasn't much in it at all.

Having been out in it all afternoon (as you do) I'm very pleased with the ride and have definately made the right decision for my driving habits.

Compared to my A3 cab Sport followed by the TT Roadster S Line this is like driving on air!
Great to hear Spacelab, finally ordering my A3 Sportback tomorrow, have changed the spec so many times my dealer runs for cover when I'm in the vicinity lol, just wondered if you still get the dynamic drive with the SE spec or is it a little floaty, this is the only option I'm undecided on, whether to deselect Sport as I already drive an A6 in S Line trim but with 18" 45s on board not 18" 40s!!!

That's good to hear - this is all pointing me towards changing my order in favour of the SE suspension (if I still can!).

Is there any chance you could take some photos ?

120 mile round trip on Sport suspension today, mix of cross country A roads, dual carriageway and motorway and was really happy with how Sport felt. Great compromise the little one was quite happy to nod off for an hour while I was able to point the car where I wanted and stick to the bends.

Great to hear Spacelab, finally ordering my A3 Sportback tomorrow, have changed the spec so many times my dealer runs for cover when I'm in the vicinity lol, just wondered if you still get the dynamic drive with the SE spec or is it a little floaty, this is the only option I'm undecided on, whether to deselect Sport as I already drive an A6 in S Line trim but with 18" 45s on board not 18" 40s!!!

My A4 with 245/45x18 on sport suspension actually feels firmer than the A3 on 225/40x18 with sport suspension. However, I was expecting the A3 to be a little harsher due to slightly lower profile tyres and a shorter wheelbase.

The A3 feels sharp and compliant but potholes and other imperfections in the road I feel more in the A4. I think Audi have done a lot to improve the ride quality after years of complaints and slating in the media. Not before time either.