From a Diesel to a 1.4 TFSI 122ps

Sootchucker

Reaction score
Hi guys, despite the negative reaction to any discount from the dealers (see separate thread), I'm still pushing ahead (following advise from the other thread mentioned) but I'm trying to rationalise my engine choice. I had originally thought I would go for the 1.4 TFSI 122ps, however the wife convinced me to keep to a 2.0 TDI model (as per the current car), as she said she didn't think I would be happy with the small capacity petrol engine. However the diesel is £2k more to purchase up front (despite having better residuals at the end).

As you may (or may not know), I currently drive a 2011 VW Scirocco 2.0 TDI 140PS. However I only do about 8.5-9k miles per year, so the diesel engine doesn't really make sense. The only reason I'm driving a diesel Rocco now, is that the 122 and 160ps petrol engine models (which I wanted) were, and are not available in the GT spec. I know there's another thread discussing the 1.4 TFSI and that the diesel will command better residuals etc, but what I am specifically looking for is opinions from anyone who has gone from a diesel car to the new 1.4TFSI (either 3 door or sportback) and can comment on if they really miss the diesel or if the petrol fits the bill ?

Although on paper the cars are pretty identically matched on performance (Scirocco 129mph and 0-100 in 9.3 and the A3 1.4 TFSI - 126mph and 0-100 in 9.3), the way a petrol and diesel car lays down it's power is completely different. Obviously the diesel has bags of torque low down and wondered if the petrol needed to be pushed hard to get decent performance ? The Rocco has 320nm of Torque and I believe the 1.4 TFSi has 200nm ?

I have test driven a 1.4 and it felt really nice and very quiet, but you can only gather so much in a 40 minute test drive. Ideally I would want the new 1.4 COD 140ps engine but as the car has to have S-Tronic (no comments on the transmission choice please), as this isn't yet available, with no details on when it will be, the 122ps seems the best next logical choice.

I'm nearly 50 now so not a boy racer and don't do the traffic light racing, however I do want something that has decent (if not electric) overtaking characteristics, especially at motorway speeds. Also, although the Scirocco is advertised as a combined of 60mpg, I only ever get about 45mpg average in mine, due to mainly short journeys, however this can improve dramatically on a run to well over 60mpg (but that's a rarity). Would I be expected too much to see about 40ish MPG from the little 122ps engine driven normally or mid 30's ?

thanks to all in advance.

Last edited:
Can't offer any comparison with a diesel so hopefully someone can help you with that specific question but I had been driving a 1.8 petrol v-tec engine in the Honda Civic before I bought an A3 SB 1.4tfsi and I worried the little engine would disappoint in comparison to the lovely throaty v-tec unit but far from it, the 1.4 tfsi been a crackin engine.

Really can't say I've ever felt let down by it when overtaking or pushing on to make good time going somewhere and I've ordered the same engine on my new SB (or similarly powered engine as I'm sure I read the engines in the new A3 had to be designed to sit at a specific angle so are in fact new engines?!?) .

Appreciate the diesel will have feel totally different due it's extra torque but if like me you don't do the miles to justify the extra £££ I reckon the tfsi will not disappoint.

Residuals wise laying out 2k extra to buy the diesel I'm not sure you get all that 2k back at trade in time, yeah I don't doubt that a 3 year old diesel may have a bigger price on the forecourt to a similarly specked tfsi but can't say I've seen a linear price diff that would suggest the 2k cost is maintained at p/x time. No doubt someone will challenge that :)

Good luck with whatever you choose

P.

I can't tell my driving experience as I still don't have the car, but I can explain my thoughts when I ordered the car: I also come from diesel and first ordered a A3 SB 2.0 tdi, but then changed my mind and finally went for the 1.4 tfsi engine. My main doubt was: "Is it worth to pay the extra 2k$?" After reading a lot of reviews and forums: This new engine's consumption is pretty efficient for a petrol engine, and maintenance, taxes and insurance will be cheaper. There are several reviews out there testing this "new" 1.4 engine and all of them results quite impressed by it's power and response. I don't do more than 10k miles per year (similar to you). For all of these reasons I finally choosed 1.4 tfsi 122ps, and I'm pretty sure I've done a wise decision. I'm fully confident that it wont dissapoint me. Everybody says that this new and lighter engine is nearer to the 2.0 tdi than the 1.6 tdi. You won't regret saving those 2$, or you can even invest that for more extra's.

My previous A3 was the 2.0tdi 140bhp. I took delivery of my new 1.4tfsi sportback yesterday. To me the performance difference is negligible. Perhaps slightly less torque but it didn't struggle at all with 4 people in the car in the 200 miles of mixed driving Ive done so far.

I am, however, expecting to take a hit on fuel economy. The diesel would have been about 10mpg better than the petrol, but over three years I was still worse off stumping up the extra £2k for the TDI. (Doing around 12k a year).

That said, it's not always about money. The TDI is a cracking engine, and it took me a long time to decide between the two. In the end I decided I would rather put some extra money towards gadgets to enjoy in the car, as the 1.4 was compeletly acceptable :)

I would expect the 2.0tdi to be worth around £1k more than the tfsi at the end of 3 years. But be aware that servicing diesels is usually more expensive.

You'll be happy with whichever you choose.

Good to read these positive views on the 1.4.

I too have opted for this engine having tested both the petrol and diesel back to back. Overall didn't think the extra £2.3k justified for my low mileage - 9k pa. Horses for courses really and I would recommend testing both and going for the one that feels right for you and your circumstances.

Looking forward to getting it.

I've covered around 600 miles in my 1.4 tfsi so far. My average mpg is 41mpg

This seems to be improving all the time as well so I'm sure after I've done some more miles it'll be around 45mpg which is about the same as I got over the course of 20k miles in my 1.6 tdi A1

I have not owned or driven a diesel either but have downsized from firstly a golf gti then a TT roadster to an A1 and for everyday driving the engine you have expressed a preference for is a good choice.

My wife has the 1.4 A1 and only does 6/7k per year with lots of small trips to work and back which is less than 2 miles in and around town and regularly gets 40mpg.

We cannot fault the engine at all and when needed has more than enough pull.

Good luck with your choice.