My A3 8V TFSI ran 198bhp??

cotball

Reaction score
I have been booked into a rolling road day with a few mates from cliosport.net, I own a trophy so was going to take that but someone offered me good money for it so it was sold & the buyer is collecting tomorrow.

Having left a deposit I decided to take my A3 along, All cars were running under book figures, Most 172 clio's were returning around 160-165.

My A3 came back at 198BHP? The tester did mention that alot of the new V.A.G cars are a fair bit more powerful than book power (for insurance purposes apparently) But I was pretty shocked at the result.

I will upload the Graph In a bit.

Looking forward to seeing it, is it a standard 1.8?

Looking forward to seeing it, is it a standard 1.8?
Completely standard from the factory, Produced a nice smooth power curve.

Unfortunately I do not own a scanner but will upload a picture in a second.

Here's the graph, Obviously measured at the wheels:
wfwf001_zps5f4a4a4d.jpg

Just out of curiosity, how many miles have you got on it so far?

No 198 at the fly.

I was going to say wtf! That's good figures.....
Is it a generous dyno or what we would class as bang on?........

if you go amd dyno then you can generally knock off 15bhp , if you go r tech you know your bang on you catch my drift.

might cancel my Weasle power and get a tfsi

Sean

The car has covered 5000 miles so far, Standard book BHP is around 177 I believe although they round it up to 180.

The dyno is the least generous one iv'e seen, All other cars were running well under previous dyno runs.

The car does feel fast, I previously owned the 170 2.0 tdi A3 and considering it's only supposed to be 10 bhp more it certainly feels a hell of alot more, The power is way smoother aswell, With the 2.0 tdi you got a massive amount of power (due to diesel torque) and then nothing, This just has constant power across the rev range.

i have an 8p 1.8 TFSI 160bhp with an APR map.
when dynod @ AMD essex it made 234BHP.
i think your might make similar figures or more.

i have an 8p 1.8 TFSI 160bhp with an APR map.
when dynod @ AMD essex it made 234BHP.
i think your might make similar figures or more.

dyno it somewhere else and I guarantee it won't make that much! AMD are notorious for having a over enthusiastic dyno to make customers love them. I would put money on it being at least 10bhp less anywhere else. 74bhp from just a remap! Check shark performance website for close figures as bens dyno is considered very accurate by most. I know 4 lads that's ran more power at amd then when gone elsewhere they were all around 15-20bhp less.

Sean

I actually think that 198BHP is actually what our 1.8TFSI engines are producing...I had a run in with a MKVI GTI and he couldnt pull me both cars were neck and neck...

I actually think that 198BHP is actually what our 1.8TFSI engines are producing...I had a run in with a MKVI GTI and he couldnt pull me both cars were neck and neck...

i think the new 8v is meant to be quite a bit lighter than the mkVI gti aswell. Iirc

Sean

Think you guys need to look at the conversion between BHP and PS I believe 177bhp = 180PS..

Reactions: TDI-line
The car has covered 5000 miles so far, Standard book BHP is around 177 I believe although they round it up to 180.

The dyno is the least generous one iv'e seen, All other cars were running well under previous dyno runs.

The car does feel fast, I previously owned the 170 2.0 tdi A3 and considering it's only supposed to be 10 bhp more it certainly feels a hell of alot more, The power is way smoother aswell, With the 2.0 tdi you got a massive amount of power (due to diesel torque) and then nothing, This just has constant power across the rev range.

did you do a running in ?

What type of Dyno was it ?

I have always tried to use DynoDynamics rolling roads in the past as the figures as generally spot on.

I did however used to take the Focus RS to a place in Northwhich where they had a Hub Dyno and that was bang on perfect, i even took it to 2 other dynos and they were both spot on the +/- 5bhp.

There are lots of variables that can increase/decrease a dyno readout even on a standar car:

Was you first in the dyno cell ( nice and cool, increased bhp ), last in the cell ( room gets hot, bhp suffers), Decent fan replicating cool fresh air at a high volume,Was the operator good (did he let it run down smoothly on its own once you hit the limiter, or did he brake causing it to fudge the figures).

Im looking to get mine done in the near future and as i have the same engine as you im hoping that the base figure is what you have quoted. Makes interesting thinking for a remap as you would likely see 40bhp from a remap so taking it towards 240 bhp from a stage 1 , hmm sounds good :yum:

Reactions: STERLING VOID
You might be waiting a while for the response - the OP hasn't been online since the beginning of August (have a look at the thread date).

What type of Dyno was it ?

I have always tried to use DynoDynamics rolling roads in the past as the figures as generally spot on.

I did however used to take the Focus RS to a place in Northwhich where they had a Hub Dyno and that was bang on perfect, i even took it to 2 other dynos and they were both spot on the +/- 5bhp.

There are lots of variables that can increase/decrease a dyno readout even on a standar car:

Was you first in the dyno cell ( nice and cool, increased bhp ), last in the cell ( room gets hot, bhp suffers), Decent fan replicating cool fresh air at a high volume,Was the operator good (did he let it run down smoothly on its own once you hit the limiter, or did he brake causing it to fudge the figures).

Im looking to get mine done in the near future and as i have the same engine as you im hoping that the base figure is what you have quoted. Makes interesting thinking for a remap as you would likely see 40bhp from a remap so taking it towards 240 bhp from a stage 1 , hmm sounds good :yum:

Go and get it done now so we know what to expect, this forum is so boring..I was expecting to see dyno sheets everyday in this place.

Hurry!

^Same here, i think its only the S3 boys who will be uploading those weekly. I bought this with the intention of keeping standard but i really think a remap would be greta on the 1.8 TFSi.

Hi all, I buying an a3 1.8 8v Quattro. I am already look at stuff to do to it. I've been looking at the IS38 turbo. Which is the golf r /s3 turbo, apparently it pretty much bolt on. Then I would then need to get an induction and possibly downpipe exc..
Does anyone else have a suggestion?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Yes the IS38 is a direct bolt on for the 1.8 EA888 Gen 3, but do consider that while it can make significant power and torque at higher up the rev range, lower rpm response do suffer. It is sized for a 2 liter engine which has higher volumetric flow than a 1.8, so it will be laggier on the 1.8. In normal daily driving, you are unlikely to be revving the nuts off the engine so the power potential of the IS38 will not be that useful.

Is your car a manual or S-tronic? If S-tronic, it is mapped to run as high a gear as possible in D for fuel economy, so that compounds the poor low rpm response even more.

IMHO, if you plan to track the car then go for the IS38, but if you daily drive then perhaps you should look into the IS20 (Golf GTI turbo) instead.

Yes the IS38 is a direct bolt on for the 1.8 EA888 Gen 3, but do consider that while it can make significant power and torque at higher up the rev range, lower rpm response do suffer. It is sized for a 2 liter engine which has higher volumetric flow than a 1.8, so it will be laggier on the 1.8. In normal daily driving, you are unlikely to be revving the nuts off the engine so the power potential of the IS38 will not be that useful.

Is your car a manual or S-tronic? If S-tronic, it is mapped to run as high a gear as possible in D for fuel economy, so that compounds the poor low rpm response even more.

IMHO, if you plan to track the car then go for the IS38, but if you daily drive then perhaps you should look into the IS20 (Golf GTI turbo) instead.
Thanks for the quick response, I would be dailying it so you probably right about having the is20 turbo. Do you know if I would need to do anything else to it?
I'm probably going to an exhaust one. Was thinking a rs3 exhaust or s3 as they are both valved. I will also get a remapped more suited to the is20 turbo. Would 330hp be achieved?
And yes it's an auto.

APR publishes dyno results for the 1.8 coupled with an IS20 turbo on their website.

https://www.goapr.com/products/turbo_18t_g3_is20_mqb.html

Their max power is achieved with IS20, APR downpipe and 104 octane fuel, producing 319 hp at the crank.
Ah thanks I'll have a proper look at it. One more thing if the is20 is fixed correctly, will it effect the reliability drastically. Basically no serious engine failures ( over stressing engine?)

Hi all, I buying an a3 1.8 8v Quattro.
Does anyone else have a suggestion?

Hi Alex,
I realise the 1.8 is a bargain compared to a similar aged S3, but by the time you have spent a shed load of money modifying you'll still struggle to be anywhere near S3 + stage 1 power. An S3 should be cheaper to insure, probably be more reliable and be worth a lot more with a far wider market when you want to sell.
I know some love to modify their cars but I would question the route you intend to take for what you seem to be trying to achieve.
Why are you not buying an S3?

Hi Alex,
I realise the 1.8 is a bargain compared to a similar aged S3, but by the time you have spent a shed load of money modifying you'll still struggle to be anywhere near S3 + stage 1 power. An S3 should be cheaper to insure, probably be more reliable and be worth a lot more with a far wider market when you want to sell.
I know some love to modify their cars but I would question the route you intend to take for what you seem to be trying to achieve.
Why are you not buying an S3?
Hi Matt, Yes I fully understand what you mean. In most cases that would be correct however I'm in the car trade so im getting it a cost value and I've got mechanics that could work at a little cheaper as its trade price. I'm currently 20 so insurance could be an issue. I've been quoted for 850 (Admiral) a year.
Ive found a is20 turbo at 350 thats one do 20,000 miles.

Hi.
If you needed any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.