MMI screen issue

WingoWango

Reaction score
Good Morning!

A bit of a browser here but thought I would post an issue I have at the moment. I have a new (4 weeks old) 1.6tdi Sline and I have to say I think the car is fantastic on all fronts. But. Just popped the shop and as I jumped back in the car I noticed the MMI display had not risen from the dash. Tried pressing the on/off, different selections and nothing. The radio and media are playing fine but as I say the display is stowed and when i select a source e.g radio or media the light under the switch is not on. Just got home so going to pop out in a bit and see if anything has changed? Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

If it persists, do a battery disconnect for 10 minutes, reconnect, drive for 5 minutes which should distinguish any lights on dash & then test.

NHN Thank you for the quick response.

I have just gone back out to the car and it is all working fine again. No doubt something I have pressed! Will keep you updated if it happens again.

Don't bother updating just drive it back to the dealership being 4 weeks old and don't disconnect anything... Get them to sort it.

Your'e exactly right XXX but its working fine now so not sure if they will able to rectify or find a fault which is not there. Is it likely to show any fault codes? I may take it for a spin past the dealership tomorrow. I'm fairly certain it was a glitch as I don't know of any other reason/method which would keep the screen stowed.

Thanks for the reply's

If you have the problem in future, or any other glitch, it's useful to know how to reset the MMI system.

Press the MENU button, MMI wheel button and the top right soft-button simultaneously and then release and it will reboot the system. Has cleared the few odd glitches I've had every time.

Reactions: Dylock and S32B
Cheers for that Vertigo, was not aware of the reset. Useful to know!

If you have the problem in future, or any other glitch, it's useful to know how to reset the MMI system.

Press the MENU button, MMI wheel button and the top right soft-button simultaneously and then release and it will reboot the system. Has cleared the few odd glitches I've had every time.

Sounds a bit like Windows (the Microsoft version rather than the glass one). If all else fails REBOOT.

This happened to my screen last week. Had to do a reset for it to pop back up

I've had three glitches so far. The satnav display has frozen twice and the DAB failed to work one morning. In each case the reset fixed it.

To be honest I'm not that bothered. I work in software myself and appreciate that any complex piece of software is going to have occasional bugs and glitches and will need resetting or rebooting. As long as it doesn't screw up on a regular basis it's fine really.

lol thanks for that post :) from 4.5 years back :p

I got in the car this morning after a nightshift and the mmi didn't pop up :( Great I thought, I'm selling the car next month!!! Half way home I stopped at some lights, so I turned the ignition off, key out and tried again...still not coming out. Got home and parked up, got out locked the car and then tried it again...still the same :( Did a search on here and found your post (wouldn't have been able to sleep until I'd tried something), went outside to try it and it popped up all by itself lol :)

Happened to me a few times. Always turning the ignition off and then on again was making the MMI to pop up again. Yesterday it didn't so I tried the manual reset of the MMI and thankfully the screen popped up.. ;)

lol thanks for that post :) from 4.5 years back :p

I got in the car this morning after a nightshift and the mmi didn't pop up :( Great I thought, I'm selling the car next month!!! Half way home I stopped at some lights, so I turned the ignition off, key out and tried again...still not coming out. Got home and parked up, got out locked the car and then tried it again...still the same :( Did a search on here and found your post (wouldn't have been able to sleep until I'd tried something), went outside to try it and it popped up all by itself lol :)

No probs - not sure what the system is with facelift models as they don't have a "top right" soft-button as there's only left and right now

No probs - not sure what the system is with facelift models as they don't have a "top right" soft-button as there's only left and right now
Just to double check, the top right as in this one?

Mmi

Yep those three reboot it on pre-facelifts.

Reactions: S32B
I think the MMI switches itself off a while after you've left the car, when the car goes to sleep to reduce battery drain. Not sure how long after that is, but minutes I think.

When you next unlock or turn ignition on it powers up and starts booting. So leaving the car for 15 mins or whatever is like turning a computer off and on, and will reboot the MMI.

The 3 button thing just forces a reboot without needing to wait. You can even do it whilst you're driving along. I don't think it does any more resetting/restarting than waiting would though.

Reactions: S32B
I think the MMI switches itself off a while after you've left the car, when the car goes to sleep to reduce battery drain. Not sure how long after that is, but minutes I think.

When you next unlock or turn ignition on it powers up and starts booting. So leaving the car for 15 mins or whatever is like turning a computer off and on, and will reboot the MMI.

The 3 button thing just forces a reboot without needing to wait. You can even do it whilst you're driving along. I don't think it does any more resetting/restarting than waiting would though.
That's handy to know, thank you :)

The MMI does turn itself off but the time depends on the battery level. I usually manage to keep it on for 30 minutes when I'm cleaning the car but if I turn it back on again using the little knob (as long as the battery level isn't low), I can get another 10/15 minutes out of it :)

The MMI does turn itself off but the time depends on the battery level. I usually manage to keep it on for 30 minutes when I'm cleaning the car but if I turn it back on again using the little knob (as long as the battery level isn't low), I can get another 10/15 minutes out of it :)
Yes, it turns off in that way when you're listening to it with the ignition off (sound turns off, screen parks) after 15 mins or whatever.

I meant the computer itself shutting down. If you turn the ignition off (so the sound goes off and the screen parks) then turn it on again a few seconds later the system will be on again straight away because the computer never shut down.

If you leave it for 30 mins then turn the ignition on you'll see the logo, and have to wait whilst it boots before you can use menus or whatever. That's because it's having to power on and boot up the computer as well as just raising and powering the screen.

I think I'm right in saying that it starts booting the computer when you unlock the doors, so it normally seems like it's ready to go by the time you get in and turn the ignition on even if it was asleep/shut down.

Reactions: The Kendragon