Badger5JMB Retrofits
    Reverse Gear

Status

SD Cards - Maximum Capacity

Hi All

I'm struggling to find any articles that confirm the maximum size of SD Card that can be used in the new A3. Does anyone know?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    64Gb on each card. Maximum of 2x SDHC cards. (Note if you opt for the SD Sat Nav then one of these slots is taken up with the maps SD card)

1st Gear

Status
    Vertigo1 put up info a while back and I believe maximum SDXC Card size is 64GB........at least I hope that is correct cos I have already bought one and loaded it with music
    A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Sport in Monsoon Grey with added extras - 5 arm 'kinetic' design wheels, comfort pack, audi sound system, storage and luggage pack, SD Satnav and Interior Light Pack.

2nd Gear

Status
    The brochure says that it can handle up to 2TB. I personally have put about 50gb of music on a 64gb card and have heard this will work without any problems. I don't think there are many people out there with more than 64gb of music.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-Line 150ps, Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Privacy Glass, SD Sat Nav, Through Load, Aluminium Pedals.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for the quick response, now the obvious follow up question....any recommendations on cards?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrady View Post
    Thanks for the quick response, now the obvious follow up question....any recommendations on cards?

I bought one of these 64GB

SanDisk Ultra 64GB SDXC UHS-I Class 10 Card - Frustration Free Packaging: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Sport in Monsoon Grey with added extras - 5 arm 'kinetic' design wheels, comfort pack, audi sound system, storage and luggage pack, SD Satnav and Interior Light Pack.

2nd Gear

Status
    I went for the Sandisk Ultra Class 10 64gb SDXC...£33 from Amazon. Not used it yet so can't comment on performance, although the write speed was pretty good.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-Line 150ps, Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Privacy Glass, SD Sat Nav, Through Load, Aluminium Pedals.

5th Gear

Status
    That is also exactly what I bought

Can't confirm if it's compatible yet as haven't picked up the car.

2nd Gear

Status
    Yep same one as mine, bloody good deal!

1st Gear

Status
    haha likewise......spent ages converting from lossless formats to mp3 and tried some AAC (mp4?) format aswell - should look well smart with album art displayed on the screen

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PjDali View Post
    haha likewise......spent ages converting from lossless formats to mp3 and tried some AAC (mp4?) format aswell - should look well smart with album art displayed on the screen
    Try Media Monkey MediaMonkey Free Media Jukebox, Music Manager, CD Ripper & Converter, it converts on the fly when you copy to SD Cards, iPods, etc

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PjDali View Post
    Try Media Monkey MediaMonkey Free Media Jukebox, Music Manager, CD Ripper & Converter, it converts on the fly when you copy to SD Cards, iPods, etc

Zig
    Neutral

Status
    The brochure (valid from March 2013) states 2 x SDXC up to 2TB

SDHC only goes up to 32GB
    SDXC goes from 64GB up however the largest currently available is 256GB

1st Gear

Status
    I've been using 2 Sandisk Extreme 64GB SDXC cards without issue. Very fast very reliable...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0070WU51U
    Last edited by XXXCorps; 14th March 2013 at 12:34.
    2013 Audi TT 2.0 TFSI S Line Black Edition. Misano Red.
    Amplified Black Package. Comfort Package. Technology Package. Heated Seats.

http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/xxxcorps/media/photo1_zps1e5c9a3f.jpg.html

Zig
    Neutral

Status
    The other consideration on going above 32GB is does the SD reader/writer connected or built into your computer support SDXC in addition to SDHC.

See https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/sdx...es/using_sdxc/ for further details.

However, buying a SDXC reader/writer to connect to your computer is not expensive.

1st Gear

Status

I'm considering getting one of these 64GB cards, as I can then give my iPod to my wife to connect to her car.

How responsive are they when you first switch on the ignition or turn on the MMI? Are they as fast as when you have an iPod connected ? Do they remember which track etc was playing when you last switched off?

Reason for asking is I used to have an A4 with the RNS-E head unit/Sat nav, which used SD card slots for music, and it took about 30 seconds after setting off while it read the card before the track would play.

Can anyone share their experiences? Also, do they work flawlessly with the Album art that is automatically assigned to each track by iTunes?
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI S-Line
    Phantom Black Pearl | Heated Nappa Leather | B&O | Technology Pack | Comfort Pack | Interior Lighting Pack | Parking System Plus | DAB | Alu Roof rails | Elec folding mirrors | Mono.pur | Rear Side Airbags | Elec lumbar
    |

SOLD 2007 A6 Avant 2.7 TDI Le Mans quattro
    Daytona Grey | Leather | MMI High | Bluetooth | Adaptive Xenons | BOSE | DAB | Heated F&R | AMI | Parking F&R | Storage Pack | Visibility Pack | Interior Light Pack |

1st Gear

Status
    Yes to all of the above, and takes a few seconds to get going on my RNS-E...
    2013 Audi TT 2.0 TFSI S Line Black Edition. Misano Red.
    Amplified Black Package. Comfort Package. Technology Package. Heated Seats.

http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/xxxcorps/media/photo1_zps1e5c9a3f.jpg.html

3rd Gear

Status
    My A4 SD card reader is instant and remembers the track. It only takes a little while to scan the card if you select another media type and switch back, or insert a new card. Switching from radio or telephone to media is instantaneous.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

1st Gear

Status

Thanks guys......just ordered one
    Phantom Black Pearl | Heated Nappa Leather | B&O | Technology Pack | Comfort Pack | Interior Lighting Pack | Parking System Plus | DAB | Alu Roof rails | Elec folding mirrors | Mono.pur | Rear Side Airbags | Elec lumbar
    |

Daytona Grey | Leather | MMI High | Bluetooth | Adaptive Xenons | BOSE | DAB | Heated F&R | AMI | Parking F&R | Storage Pack | Visibility Pack | Interior Light Pack |

1st Gear

Status
    Nice future proofing by Audi this time. My old A3 could only take cards up to 2gb or something silly like that.

Sandisk cards are great. I use nothing but them (mostly CF Sandisk Extreme cards) and i've never had one fail.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Again...thanks for the link and got one on order
    Ordered: A3 SB 1.8tfsi s-tronic sline. Daytona grey. Tech, comfort, adapt cruise, BO, priv glass, alu rails

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by deci View Post
    Nice future proofing by Audi this time. My old A3 could only take cards up to 2gb or something silly like that.

Sandisk cards are great. I use nothing but them (mostly CF Sandisk Extreme cards) and i've never had one fail.
    The original RNS-E in the A3 didn't support SDHC which limited it to 2GB (There were some 4GB non-SDHC cards but they were very hard to find). The 2010 update to the RNS-E fixed this so it did support SDHC.

Use Sandisk Extreme CF cards as well - photography I guess?
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

1st Gear

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1 View Post
    The original RNS-E in the A3 didn't support SDHC which limited it to 2GB (There were some 4GB non-SDHC cards but they were very hard to find). The 2010 update to the RNS-E fixed this so it did support SDHC.

Use Sandisk Extreme CF cards as well - photography I guess?
    Indeed you are right Toby and you beat me to it......I had an RNS-E myself in my A4 previously, and managed to buy a shed load of 4GB SD cards (non SDHC). I'll be selling them very soon, so might have to see if anyone on the appropriate forums might want them...
    |