SD Cards - Maximum Capacity

Conrady

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm struggling to find any articles that confirm the maximum size of SD Card that can be used in the new A3. Does anyone know?

Thanks

64Gb on each card. Maximum of 2x SDHC cards. (Note if you opt for the SD Sat Nav then one of these slots is taken up with the maps SD card)

Vertigo1 put up info a while back and I believe maximum SDXC Card size is 64GB........at least I hope that is correct cos I have already bought one and loaded it with music :yes:

The brochure says that it can handle up to 2TB. I personally have put about 50gb of music on a 64gb card and have heard this will work without any problems. I don't think there are many people out there with more than 64gb of music.

Thanks for the quick response, now the obvious follow up question....any recommendations on cards? :)

I went for the Sandisk Ultra Class 10 64gb SDXC...£33 from Amazon. Not used it yet so can't comment on performance, although the write speed was pretty good.

haha likewise......spent ages converting from lossless formats to mp3 and tried some AAC (mp4?) format aswell - should look well smart with album art displayed on the screen

The brochure (valid from March 2013) states 2 x SDXC up to 2TB

SDHC only goes up to 32GB
SDXC goes from 64GB up however the largest currently available is 256GB

I've been using 2 Sandisk Extreme 64GB SDXC cards without issue. Very fast very reliable...

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0070WU51U[/FONT]

Last edited:
I'm considering getting one of these 64GB cards, as I can then give my iPod to my wife to connect to her car.

How responsive are they when you first switch on the ignition or turn on the MMI? Are they as fast as when you have an iPod connected ? Do they remember which track etc was playing when you last switched off?

Reason for asking is I used to have an A4 with the RNS-E head unit/Sat nav, which used SD card slots for music, and it took about 30 seconds after setting off while it read the card before the track would play.

Can anyone share their experiences? Also, do they work flawlessly with the Album art that is automatically assigned to each track by iTunes?

Yes to all of the above, and takes a few seconds to get going on my RNS-E...

My A4 SD card reader is instant and remembers the track. It only takes a little while to scan the card if you select another media type and switch back, or insert a new card. Switching from radio or telephone to media is instantaneous.

Nice future proofing by Audi this time. My old A3 could only take cards up to 2gb or something silly like that.

Sandisk cards are great. I use nothing but them (mostly CF Sandisk Extreme cards) and i've never had one fail.

Nice future proofing by Audi this time. My old A3 could only take cards up to 2gb or something silly like that.

Sandisk cards are great. I use nothing but them (mostly CF Sandisk Extreme cards) and i've never had one fail.

The original RNS-E in the A3 didn't support SDHC which limited it to 2GB (There were some 4GB non-SDHC cards but they were very hard to find). The 2010 update to the RNS-E fixed this so it did support SDHC.

Use Sandisk Extreme CF cards as well - photography I guess? :)

The original RNS-E in the A3 didn't support SDHC which limited it to 2GB (There were some 4GB non-SDHC cards but they were very hard to find). The 2010 update to the RNS-E fixed this so it did support SDHC.

Use Sandisk Extreme CF cards as well - photography I guess? :)

Indeed you are right Toby and you beat me to it......I had an RNS-E myself in my A4 previously, and managed to buy a shed load of 4GB SD cards (non SDHC). I'll be selling them very soon, so might have to see if anyone on the appropriate forums might want them...