To all 1.6tdi owners

b52

Reaction score
Are you satisfied with your car performance wise or do you find it underpowered and feel that you sacrificed performance over fuel economy compared to the 1.4tfsi ?

Thanks

I used to have one of the first MkV Golfs which had a 95PS 1.4 FSI engine which although being perfectly usuable and had good fuel economy just never had quite amount of power that a car of that size and weight required.
With that in mind I can only imagine how a 105PS 1.6 TDI Audi A3 would feel; similarly underpowered with a touch more torque. I'm willing to put money on it being a great cruiser with great fuel economy; but nothing more.

How many miles a year are you expecting to do?

What type of roads will you be driving on (urban, rural, motorway etc)?

I m driving around 20.000 km per year in mixed conditions. Price per lt in petrol is 1,70 euros , diesel at around 1,20

1,6 tdi is only 1500 euros more than the 1,4 tfsi.

Price difference in fuel is very big but decent performance is also needed.

1.8 and 2.0 lt engines are not an option

I went for the 1.6 due to cost and tax issues in the UK plus the best MPG available. Although the 2.0ltr is clearly quicker I do not consider them quick as such ( apart from the S3 ) so saved the money for better goodies .

I do about 35k per year so the diesel was the only option for me.

Very happy with the 1.6. Feels nippier than my old 1.9 A3. I'm not really much of a boy racer if I'm honest but I do like to know I've the power to overtake. You in Ireland B52? Most of the roads here will suit a 1.6.

Very happy with the 1.6. Feels nippier than my old 1.9 A3. I'm not really much of a boy racer if I'm honest but I do like to know I've the power to overtake. You in Ireland B52? Most of the roads here will suit a 1.6.

I'd agree - I got mine on Friday (1.6TDi Sport) and have been very pleased so far. It does feel a little 'tight' but it only has 300 miles on it so far! And my trip from Nottingham to Luton this morning averaged nearly 55mpg at 70-75mph...

I currently have a 1.4 tfsi and I'm not impressed with the mpg, performance is so so but the was willing to settle for a little worse mpg for the feel of a petrol, However I have now ordered the 1.6 tdi in the form of a sport back and am hoping for much better mpg!

Quick update... latest trip was 59.something and I've seen 60 average too... So it's definitely improving, although I tend to sit at 70-75 on the motorway...

We moved from a 320d BMW to a 1.6 TDI Sport and we can definitely feel the difference...it wasn't about speed but MPG so we will have to get used to it...there's always the lotus for blatting about!

We moved from a 320d BMW to a 1.6 TDI Sport and we can definitely feel the difference...it wasn't about speed but MPG so we will have to get used to it...there's always the lotus for blatting about!

ive got to say , I was very impressed with my e90 320d m sport 163 bhp rear wheel drive was a cracking car and good 55 mpg average.

Sean

I went from a 330D to a 1.9 A3 sportback. It took quite a bit of time to get used to that! The 330D is a beast.

Not really looked at MPG on my new car but its definitely not that good so far - I've barely done 300 miles though.

I went from a 330D to a 1.9 A3 sportback. It took quite a bit of time to get used to that! The 330D is a beast.

Not really looked at MPG on my new car but its definitely not that good so far - I've barely done 300 miles though.

The problem you've got is you're always going to have to work the 1.6 TDI engine from lower speeds until you get to a steady cruising speed where it should then come into its own economy wise. I've always found smaller Diesel engines to be geared completely differently to their similarly powered petrol counterpart so demand an entirely different driving style.

I was once given an A1 Sport 1.6 TDI 105PS courtesy car and it wasn't massively refined or powerful so can only imagine what a heavier A3 feels like with this engine fitted albeit with a six speed gearbox.

You'd be quite surprised - it's no rocket but it's actually quite responsive. And the engine gearbox is actually pretty good - the gearbox is extremely smooth and the power delivery.

If you're upset about the 122 performance isn't it a bit silly dropping to 105?
I currently have a 1.4 tfsi and I'm not impressed with the mpg, performance is so so but the was willing to settle for a little worse mpg for the feel of a petrol, However I have now ordered the 1.6 tdi in the form of a sport back and am hoping for much better mpg!

TBF, from his post it reads more like its the MPG that annoys him;he's willing to put up with 'so-so' performance if it meant better economy but the petrol doesnt deliver on that front.

Had my 1.6tdi a month now. My previous car was a 1.8 petrol but needed economy which is why i went for the 1.6tdi. Before picking up the car i was concerned it was going to be very sluggish. I can say I was very surprised! With the drive select in auto I find the car to be very "nippy", more than enough for what I need. In dynamic its great. Economy is improving all of the time. I only have about 400 miles on it at the moment and it does feel tight. Im happy with my choice.

its much faster than i thought it would be, doesnt seem slower than my 120bhp petrol 1 series.

dont regret chosing it over the 2.0

I have the 1.6 TDI engine (5 speed) in my current car (VW Golf Cabriolet) and it manages quite well. It needs to be worked though. Cruises well at 70mph - very smooth and quiet. I've previously had the 2.0 TDI (140bhp) in both VW's and Audi's and thought I would miss 6th gear - not so. I average 45-50 mpg around the doors. I've gone for the 1.4 TFSI (122) engine on my A3 as I'm not doing the miles. I would definitely have another 1.6 TDI if I could justify the extra cost. The only thing that would put me off on the A3 is the single exhaust tail pipe !.

My wife also has the 1.6 TDI in her Skoda Fabia and it pulls really well in that (a lot lighter car). She averages 60+ mpg. Cracking motor.

I have the 1.6 TDI engine (5 speed) in my current car (VW Golf Cabriolet) and it manages quite well. It needs to be worked though. Cruises well at 70mph - very smooth and quiet. I've previously had the 2.0 TDI (140bhp) in both VW's and Audi's and thought I would miss 6th gear - not so. I average 45-50 mpg around the doors. I've gone for the 1.4 TFSI (122) engine on my A3 as I'm not doing the miles. I would definitely have another 1.6 TDI if I could justify the extra cost. The only thing that would put me off on the A3 is the single exhaust tail pipe !.

My wife also has the 1.6 TDI in her Skoda Fabia and it pulls really well in that (a lot lighter car). She averages 60+ mpg. Cracking motor.

I orded before i realised 1.6 had single tailpipe and torsion beam. However its big bore and looks nice on the sport so i not too worried.

its much faster than i thought it would be, doesnt seem slower than my 120bhp petrol 1 series.

dont regret chosing it over the 2.0

I've been quite surprised... Even in 6th, if you put your foot down it still pulls, although I do tend to change down if I'm going up steep hills! But I'll accept the slight inconvenience and take the extra 10mpg over the 2.0TDi any day!!