Chris NottAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By quattrojames

Thread: Golf GT or A3 Sportback S-Line

  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    113

    Golf GT or A3 Sportback S-Line

    We're thinking between these 2 cars, so thought we'd make a pro's and con's list and share it here. Would be interested in people's thoughts. We're going fully loaded, so both cars are the same price, £30k.

    A3 s-line sportback 1.8TFSI (180) s tronic loaded £30k:

    pro: exterior looks great
    pro: iphone connector in convenient location
    pro: generally feels more solid
    pro: not forced to have tinted rear windows
    pro: has upmarket appeal, has 'the badge'

    con: general dashboard & air vents look ugly / kiddie
    con: cupholders are main focus (?!)
    con: seats aren't as pretty as the golf's
    con: gimmicky retractible MMI screen
    con: ride not as comfortable / quite firm (will try to find a standard suspension s line to testdrive)
    con: louder on motorways
    con: engine has lag problem (press pedal, wait almost a second, then car moves)

    Golf GT (5 door) 1.4TSI (140) s tronic loaded £30k:

    pro: dashboard looks classy
    pro: seats are pretty
    pro: more comfortable
    pro: quieter on motorways
    pro: engine has no lag problem (will verify this in another test drive)

    con: exterior looks dull
    con: iphone connector in bad location, with gearstick in the way
    con: doesn't have such upmarket appeal
    con: doesn't have 'the badge'
    con: steering wheel doesn't feel as nice
    con: forced to have tinted rear windows

    Most other things about the 2 cars seems quite similar, both can use voice control, have the same sat nav, the same technology options (keyless entry, adaptive cruise etc.)

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    PjDali's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    169

    Golf GT or A3 Sportback S-Line

    Go for the Golf Bob, the kiddy vents and gimmicky screen in the A3 will no doubt drive you mad.

    Meanwhile the rest if us A3 owners can get on enjoying our cars.
    A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Sport in Monsoon Grey with added extras - 5 arm 'kinetic' design wheels, comfort pack, audi sound system, storage and luggage pack, SD Satnav and Interior Light Pack.

  4. #3
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    230
    I think you know my thoughts... haha

    I disagree with almost all your A3 cons so I guess my opinion won't matter. I still don't get the 'kiddy' interior thing. I really don't.

  5. #4
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    249
    Hmmmm I joined this forum due to my love of the the new A3!

    i currently have a polo and had a bora before that and I just don't think VW feel as luxurious or as good quality as an audi! Find them boring in comparison TBH!
    I am now the very very proud owner of an A3 Sportback S-line 2.0 TDI Glacier white - panoramic sunroof and privacy glass!

    See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

  6. #5
    audicruiser's Avatar
    Audi Heaven

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwilson View Post
    We're thinking between these 2 cars, so thought we'd make a pro's and con's list and share it here. Would be interested in people's thoughts. We're going fully loaded, so both cars are the same price, £30k.

    A3 s-line sportback 1.8TFSI (180) s tronic loaded £30k:

    pro: exterior looks great
    pro: iphone connector in convenient location
    pro: generally feels more solid
    pro: not forced to have tinted rear windows
    pro: has upmarket appeal, has 'the badge'

    con: general dashboard & air vents look ugly / kiddie
    con: cupholders are main focus (?!)
    con: seats aren't as pretty as the golf's
    con: gimmicky retractible MMI screen
    con: ride not as comfortable / quite firm (will try to find a standard suspension s line to testdrive)
    con: louder on motorways
    con: engine has lag problem (press pedal, wait almost a second, then car moves)

    Golf GT (5 door) 1.4TSI (140) s tronic loaded £30k:

    pro: dashboard looks classy
    pro: seats are pretty
    pro: more comfortable
    pro: quieter on motorways
    pro: engine has no lag problem (will verify this in another test drive)

    con: exterior looks dull
    con: iphone connector in bad location, with gearstick in the way
    con: doesn't have such upmarket appeal
    con: doesn't have 'the badge'
    con: steering wheel doesn't feel as nice
    con: forced to have tinted rear windows

    Most other things about the 2 cars seems quite similar, both can use voice control, have the same sat nav, the same technology options (keyless entry, adaptive cruise etc.)
    Out of interest Bob, what do you drive now?
    Scott

    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

  7. #6
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    52

    Golf GT or A3 Sportback S-Line

    I think this is for his parents. Not sure Bob drives

  8. #7
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    46
    Glad to see Bob has now had the sense to open his own post for this never ending argument which really is going nowhere.
    If you like the Audi buy it – if not then don’t. Simple.

    I do like the A3 and that's why I have ordered one. Oh, and by the way I'm not a teenager, I'm in my mid 50's!!

    Enjoy yourself for life’s too short.

    Oh, and I pitty the poor salesman lol
    Last edited by Pganders; 11th March 2013 at 10:01.

  9. #8
    synthdood's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwilson View Post
    con: general dashboard & air vents look ugly / kiddie
    Agreed on the vents (although they've started to grow on me and I think I may actually start liking them at some point).

    Quote Originally Posted by bobwilson View Post
    con: louder on motorways
    Probably due to the s-line suspension. I would deselect s-line suspension in which case you get the sport suspension (Still lower than standard: -15mm instead of -25mm). Also 18" wheels don't help. 17" will be quieter.

    Quote Originally Posted by bobwilson View Post
    con: engine has lag problem (press pedal, wait almost a second, then car moves)
    Really? DIdn't hear about that one before. Haven't driven an 8V yet but this seriously worries me! Also, if I understand correctly the 1.8 is limited to 250Nm because the 7 speed box can't handle more torque. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a bigger engine in my opinion. Why have the 1.8 if it lags and is limited if the 1.4 pulls just as well? I guess the 1.8 is more refined/smoother/quieter. Has anybody driven both, and if so, in what respects are they different? Is it worth the difference in cost/tax/mpg?
    A3 sportback 2.0FSI sport, mauritius blue, proline, alu, interior light pack, rain&light sensor, cruise.

  10. #9
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Pganders View Post


    Oh, and I pitty the poor salesman lol
    ha ha lol!
    I am now the very very proud owner of an A3 Sportback S-line 2.0 TDI Glacier white - panoramic sunroof and privacy glass!

    See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

  11. #10
    pluves1's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    336
    Only Bob could shortlist two cars each with more cons on the list than pros
    Now

    MY10 BMW 335d Touring (Sapphire Black)


    MY10 S3 Sportback (Sprint Blue)



    Previously
    06 BMW 330d M Sport Touring Le Mans Blue with Black leather, Phone Prep

  12. #11
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    46
    And we still don't know what he (or is it his parents) currently drive. Hmmm, having said that is this maybe the teenager??

  13. #12
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by Pganders View Post
    And we still don't know what he (or is it his parents) currently drive. Hmmm, having said that is this maybe the teenager??
    If that's the case then he might be in a better position to say the interior is 'kiddie' :D I'm 32...

  14. #13
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    I think this is for his parents. Not sure Bob drives
    Hi noidea, I never would have thought of posing as someone who in fact doesn't drive- apparently it's something you do?

    Yes, myself and my wife are buying a £30k car for my parents..

    I'm sorry noidea, it sounds like you have noidea.

  15. #14
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Pganders View Post
    Oh, and I pitty the poor salesman lol
    I pitty those who are trying to silence people who don't agree with them.

  16. #15
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Pganders View Post
    And we still don't know what he (or is it his parents) currently drive. Hmmm, having said that is this maybe the teenager??
    That's correct, you don't know what I currently drive, what my parents drive, or if they are even still around.

    I wish I was a teenager

  17. #16
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by deci View Post
    If that's the case then he might be in a better position to say the interior is 'kiddie' :D I'm 32...
    wish I was 32

    What do you drive?

  18. #17
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    249
    All this money talk is getting pathetic lets hope the rulers don't come out lol!
    I am now the very very proud owner of an A3 Sportback S-line 2.0 TDI Glacier white - panoramic sunroof and privacy glass!

    See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

  19. #18
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    46
    [QUOTE=bobwilson;1812966]That's correct, you don't know what I currently drive, what my parents drive, or if they are even still around.

    On the basis that you state you are buying the car for your parents the assumption is that they are still around.

    And also you are quick enought to ask others personal questions but refuse to say what car you are currently driving.

  20. #19
    quattrojames's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    13,856

    My Social Networking

    Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    I can't see this recovering now.

    Maybe the OP would have more luck if he tried again, and please let's try and stick to the relevant topic next time around.

    Thank you.
    bobwilson likes this.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. LONDON 2006 AUDI S3 SPORTBACK LEATHER SEATS INTERIOR BLACK / TAN 5 DR A3 GOLF
    By sergio61uk in forum For Sale/Wanted - Audi Parts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28th April 2012, 22:39
  2. Recaro RS4/Golf Mk5 R32 Highback seats into a 8P sportback
    By paultaylor in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20th April 2011, 18:51
  3. Opinions on this deal: Trading in MK5 Golf for A3 140 TDI Sportback.
    By Ovv in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 29th August 2010, 21:09
  4. Golf GTI V A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSi
    By a4bob in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 1st May 2005, 14:02
  5. Sportback for less than a Golf
    By Cats in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11th January 2005, 16:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO