• 1 Post By veeeight
  • 1 Post By Joetidman
  • 1 Post By The Challinor

Thread: Audi Drive Select Effectiveness

Zig
    Neutral

Status

Audi Drive Select Effectiveness

How effective is Audi Drive Select (£220 option on SE model), is it something that people tend to use, or is it something that having set it once it is just left alone and it is thus a feature that can lived without?

Also is drive select another of the features in which all the hardware is there and it is just a matter of enabling it (like the SD Sat Nav)?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Honestly I think its a great feature to have In Dynamic mode its comes alive the steering tightens up and the throttle becomes more responsive taking corners becomes addictive(I dont know if its me or not but the dump valve sounds a bit louder in dynamic as well)...I dont feel much of a difference in the comfort and efficiency modes though.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Neesh View Post
    Honestly I think its a great feature to have In Dynamic mode its comes alive the steering tightens up and the throttle becomes more responsive taking corners becomes addictive(I dont know if its me or not but the dump valve sounds a bit louder in dynamic as well)...I dont feel much of a difference in the comfort and efficiency modes though.
    Agreed - in 'Economy' I'm sure it would have better fuel consumption but there feels like there's a thick piece of rubber between your foot and the accelerator pedal!! I've tried 'Auto', 'Dynamic' and 'Economy' and have stuck with 'Dynamic'...

I guess it depends what the 'standard' setting is if you don't have Drive Select?

Zig
    Neutral

Status
    I suppose the standard version (non Drive Select) will lie between Comfort and Dynamic, it will not be a slugged response like Efficiency.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Neesh View Post
    I'm sure it states in the manual that it changes the sound of the engine ? So you could be right !!

I keep mine set to auto most of the time... Mostly lol dynamic can be a mpg killer !!!
    Audi A3 8v 2.0TDi S-Line, glacier white.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Have drive select including the dampers on a SE Technik, means sports suspension, ie lower similar to S-line, but with the benefit of a comfortable ride when not in dynamik. Best of both world.
    Ibis White A4 Avant 2.0 TDi SE Technik Quattro S-Tronic

1st Gear

Status
    Does anyone know precisely what happens in each mode?

Does the car go lower when in dynamic mode?

6th Gear

Status
    The suspension changes only if you have magnetic ride - and it gets stiffer but doesn't lower in any way as far as I know.

I would imagine the default is auto. I keep mine in individual which has everything in dynamic except the steering, which is in comfort. If I want to work a bit harder and tighten that up I can just go to dynamic mode
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    The economy mode will save you more than the cost of the option in fuel over your period of ownership; it's worth it just for that feature.
    Audi 8V S3 s-tronic
    Phantom Black | Black styling pack | Titanium 18" alloy wheels | LED headlights
    Super sports seats | mono.pur
    | Bang & Olufsen | Advance key | Interior LEDs
    Technology pack | Audi Connect | Parking System Plus | Reversing Camera
    ACC | Hold assist | Pre-sense | Headlight assist | Privacy glass | TPMS
    LTE data by EE | Paint protection by Gtechniq | more to come...

6th Gear

Status
    Do you think? Often the economy mode actually uses MORE fuel as you are always flooring it to get it to go anywhere. I've seen that reported here, and with other car models as well.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

3rd Gear

Status
    The different modes (unless you have mag ride) affect throttle responsiveness and steering assistance, so in dynamic mode the throttle response is as sharp as it can go, an in terms of immediacy of engine response to pedal input, and on comfort/eco the least, thus ensuring a more relaxed ride and less chance of the engine adding fuel unneccessarily. I imagine to cemerson's point, this may be correct, but depends on your car. I should think that an S3 in eco will be quite fast enough under gentle throttle. Steering 'weight' is electrically delivered, so you get no more 'feel' through the steering but decreases the amount of lock needed at higher speeds and thus increases stability and reduces twitchiness at speed

If you have stronic, it will also affect how quickly, or not the gears change up and down thus affecting revs and responsiveness as well as fuel consumption. In eco mode it also affects a 'coasting mode' which saves fuel
    Last edited by Joetidman; 17th January 2014 at 18:32.
    Daveotto likes this.
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Do you think? Often the economy mode actually uses MORE fuel as you are always flooring it to get it to go anywhere. I've seen that reported here, and with other car models as well.
    My car stays in Eco mode 90% of the time and I average 30mpg, more if I'm going anywhere out of town. The auto-coasting feature with the s-tronic gearbox makes quite a bit of distance I think.
    Audi 8V S3 s-tronic
    Phantom Black | Black styling pack | Titanium 18" alloy wheels | LED headlights
    Super sports seats | mono.pur
    | Bang & Olufsen | Advance key | Interior LEDs
    Technology pack | Audi Connect | Parking System Plus | Reversing Camera
    ACC | Hold assist | Pre-sense | Headlight assist | Privacy glass | TPMS
    LTE data by EE | Paint protection by Gtechniq | more to come...

5th Gear

Status
    80% of the time mine (2.0TDI 150 BHP) sits in Dynamic (enjoy as much and as often as possible) mode and you certainly feel the difference in steering and throttle response.

Have used auto mode occasionally when fully loaded up/ Mrs is onboard / or stuck going round the north circular and have used comfort mode on a couple of occasions when it's been very wet / icy to give a bit more traction control and take the edge off the throttle to stop a bit of wheel spin
    Joetidman likes this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    How effective is Audi Drive Select (£220 option on SE model), is it something that people tend to use, or is it something that having set it once it is just left alone and it is thus a feature that can lived without?

Also is drive select another of the features in which all the hardware is there and it is just a matter of enabling it (like the SD Sat Nav)?

Did you go for it then?

It really is worth having, in dynamic mode it makes it feel like a totally different car, makes the steering much more heavy and direct amongst other things.

1st Gear

Status
    What settings do you all have for the Individual Mode?
    Collection 4 August: Sportback 1.4TFSI COD S-Line, 7-speed S-tronic, Glacier white, Black Nappa leather, Technology with Audi Connect, LED headlights, Storage, No-smoking, Black styling, Driver Assistance including Adaptive Cruise Control, Active Lane Assist, High Beam Assist, Audi Parking System Plus with Park Assist, Audi Sound system, 5 year warranty, Folding & heated door mirrors, Electric lumbar support, Extended mono.pur, Heated seats, Hold assist, Privacy glass.

3rd Gear

Status
    Gearbox - Dynamic
    ACC - Dynamic
    Suspension - Auto
    Steering - Auto
    Exhaust - Dynamic
    glospete likes this.
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Joetidman View Post
    Gearbox - Dynamic
    ACC - Dynamic
    Suspension - Auto
    Steering - Auto
    Exhaust - Dynamic
    ACC as in adaptive cruise control?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pat15312 View Post
    My car stays in Eco mode 90% of the time and I average 30mpg, more if I'm going anywhere out of town. The auto-coasting feature with the s-tronic gearbox makes quite a bit of distance I think.
    What's the auto coasting?

Neutral

Status
    Stick it in Auto, it's all you need
    glospete likes this.
    2014 184 Ps Quattro S Tronic

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by glospete View Post
    What settings do you all have for the Individual Mode?
    Everything in Dynamic except Steering, which is in Comfort
    glospete likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by The Challinor View Post
    ACC as in adaptive cruise control?
    Yes, the ACC setting, determines how aggressively you accelerate, to make up the gap to the car in front (when a gap develops), and how aggressively it closes the gap to the car in front, when you're flying along Lane 3 on the Motorway approaching a slower car.

Sort of an Audi Sales Rep Motorway mode selector

Quote Originally Posted by The Challinor View Post
    What's the auto coasting?
    For coasting, see here:

Drive Select
    The Challinor likes this.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow oufc1976 On Twitter
    Mine is in Dynamic mode and will stay there! :-)
    8V A3 Saloon 2.0 TDi S-Line. Daytona Grey. SD Sat Nav. Privacy Glass.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pat15312 View Post
    30mpg, are you saying that's good? i'd be well miffed at only getting 30mpg in eco mode. what engine is yours?

3rd Gear

Status
    He has an S3, and I presume that mpg is around town
    pat15312 likes this.

Neutral

Status
    ahhhh that would answer it then thanks

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by veeeight View Post
    Yes, the ACC setting, determines how aggressively you accelerate, to make up the gap to the car in front (when a gap develops), and how aggressively it closes the gap to the car in front, when you're flying along Lane 3 on the Motorway approaching a slower car.

Sort of an Audi Sales Rep Motorway mode selector

For coasting, see here:

Drive Select
    Why thank you
    veeeight likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    I find it hard to differentiate between comfort and auto - I use comfort on the motorway. Dynamic I find annoying in the way it hangs onto gears - I prefer to drive it on the paddles and use Individual, set to dynamic for the steering and exhaust, but left alone for the gearbox so I can make the call on when to change gear - I'll be getting a gearbox remap at some point anyway. If I left my car in dynamic all the time I'd hate the thing, mainly because of the way the gearbox will then behave - I guess on the A3's with low power outputs it could be different I suppose. Efficiency I don't like the lack of engine braking, but the jury is still out on that one as I do see a measurable improvement in fuel consumption when running in that mode. Drive Select? Yeah, If it wasn't standard on my car I would definitely tick the option box.
    Last edited by SilureMark; 12th June 2014 at 08:52.
    S3 Misano Red | s tronic | super sport seats | black styling pack|10 spoke matt titanium alloys | privacy glass|technology pack high with mobile | audi sound system | through load | light & rain sensor pack | rear parking sensors | electric folding mirrors | tyre pressure monitoring | non smoking pack | registered 06/06/2014