Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits
    Banned

Status

Auto Express hatchback challenge

Auto Express hatchback challenge

Auto Express comparison test featuring Volkswagen Golf vs Mercedes A-Class vs Audi A3 vs BMW 1 Series.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    The problem is that it isn't a like for like test. They always bang on about the golf being best in class, but its going to win performance against a 1.6tdi A3 and practicality against a 3dr!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-Line 150ps, Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Privacy Glass, SD Sat Nav, Through Load, Aluminium Pedals.

1st Gear

Status
    God I nearly died till realised it was the 1.6 tdi in the drag race lol!
    I am now the very very proud owner of an A3 Sportback S-line 2.0 TDI Glacier white - panoramic sunroof and privacy glass!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    And 5 door against 3 doors for space etc!!!!
    I am now the very very proud owner of an A3 Sportback S-line 2.0 TDI Glacier white - panoramic sunroof and privacy glass!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    a total waste of a comparison.......3dr versus 5 and a amaxingly the 5 door wins that practicality test?

1.6tdi (105bhp) versus 2.0tdi (150bhp) and the bigger engine is quicker?

Not sure who commissioned that test but AutoExpress surely could have lined up similarly powered vehicles with the same numbers of doors.............I'll file that online test under 'pish'
    A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Sport in Monsoon Grey with added extras - 5 arm 'kinetic' design wheels, comfort pack, audi sound system, storage and luggage pack, SD Satnav and Interior Light Pack.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Worthless review. Would have expected more from Matt.

2nd Gear

Status
    I think VW must have slipped them a back hander!!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-Line 150ps, Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Privacy Glass, SD Sat Nav, Through Load, Aluminium Pedals.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthus_1 View Post
    God I nearly died till realised it was the 1.6 tdi in the drag race lol!
    Me too! Was starting to think I should have waited for the 181bhp diesel!!

Neutral

Status
    In the interests of balance I think he was comparing what he could buy for £22,000. Which is actually a fair comparison and good way to do a test.
    A3 Sportback 1.8TFSI S-Line S-Tronic, Daytona Grey, Alum Roof Rails, Tech pack, Comfort pack, Adaptive cruise, Int light pack, Audi sound, DAB, Folding mirrors, Reversable luggage mat, 5yr warranty.

2nd Gear

Status
    You can buy a sportback 2.0tdi SE for £22,125 though.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by squiretolley View Post
    Me too! Was starting to think I should have waited for the 181bhp diesel!!
    ha ha yeah!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    What I found most shocking was that the Mercedes was considered the most desirable but with a Renault engine !! I don't think I would be too impressed if I had ordered a new A Class and just found that out . I don't imagine you would read that in the Mercedes dealer brochure

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by squiretolley View Post
    You can buy a sportback 2.0tdi SE for £22,125 though.
    or at least a SB when comparing size etc!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    Lost me at 'Mercedes is the most desirable.' Of all of those cars, to me its the least desirable.

As has been said above, a 2.0TDI SB would've been available as an option at that price. And the old 'A3 hasn't changed since the mk1' line annoys me when in the company of the spot-the-difference golf and same-but-a-bit-fuglier 1 series.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by deci View Post
    Lost me at 'Mercedes is the most desirable.' Of all of those cars, to me its the least desirable.

As has been said above, a 2.0TDI SB would've been available as an option at that price. And the old 'A3 hasn't changed since the mk1' line annoys me when in the company of the spot-the-difference golf and same-but-a-bit-fuglier 1 series.
    Completely agree about the golf, there's almost nothing to differentiate it from the mk6!

The Merecedes looks ugly unless you go for the AMG.

6th Gear

Status
    What a hilarious waste of time that was.

All the A-Class "won" was the "desirability" factor. Excuse me? Desirable? Just about anyone I know would find a BMW or Audi far more desirable than a Mercedes. Mercs have an image of well built but boring cars generally driven by older people.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

1st Gear

Status
    The merc is the only car on the list that I didn't seriously consider enough to seek a test drive.

Drove the other 3 and bought the A3.

1st Gear

Status
    I agree think it looks ugly!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

6th Gear

Status
    The interior of the Merc is also totally ghastly. The screen looks totally tacked on - like someone's glued an iPad to the dashboard.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1 View Post
    The interior of the Merc is also totally ghastly. The screen looks totally tacked on - like someone's glued an iPad to the dashboard.
    i agree it looks bloody awful!
    1.4 TFSI 122ps A3 SportBack. Comfort pack, Audi sound system, Daytona grey, SD Sat Nav, S line trim. Love it!

5th Gear

Status
    I'm sorry but who is this reviewer! What a bell-end .......... I love BMW's and I've had a few but the 1 series looks like a. 7 series has been rear ended by a z4 coupe and ugly mess was created . The new merc my step mum has one and they are so average in every aspect. The golf is good but the new a3 is the winner by a clear mile if you did a like for like test with the 4. Like said above they should all of been 2.0 tdi engines and mid range spec 5 door where possible.

Sean
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

Neutral

Status
    Totally agree with the views above. The Merc has generally got a slating in the press and yes that dash looks like a DIY job with an ipad. I looked at the Golf when changing but was underwhelmed. The BMW well really difficult to know what to think of it, which probably sums it up, so A3 Sportback for me - it just felt right at all levels.

And another think (with risk of starting another heated debate!) what is it with magazine reviewers and their fixation with diesels. Very hard now to find a road test of a petrol version of any car. Fully appreciate the benefits of diesels (have one at the moment) but there is still a place for petrol.