Auto Express hatchback challenge

The problem is that it isn't a like for like test. They always bang on about the golf being best in class, but its going to win performance against a 1.6tdi A3 and practicality against a 3dr!

God I nearly died till realised it was the 1.6 tdi in the drag race lol!

And 5 door against 3 doors for space etc!!!!

a total waste of a comparison.......3dr versus 5 and a amaxingly the 5 door wins that practicality test?

1.6tdi (105bhp) versus 2.0tdi (150bhp) and the bigger engine is quicker?

Not sure who commissioned that test but AutoExpress surely could have lined up similarly powered vehicles with the same numbers of doors.............I'll file that online test under 'pish'

In the interests of balance :) I think he was comparing what he could buy for £22,000. Which is actually a fair comparison and good way to do a test.

What I found most shocking was that the Mercedes was considered the most desirable but with a Renault engine !! I don't think I would be too impressed if I had ordered a new A Class and just found that out . I don't imagine you would read that in the Mercedes dealer brochure

Lost me at 'Mercedes is the most desirable.' Of all of those cars, to me its the least desirable.

As has been said above, a 2.0TDI SB would've been available as an option at that price. And the old 'A3 hasn't changed since the mk1' line annoys me when in the company of the spot-the-difference golf and same-but-a-bit-fuglier 1 series.

Lost me at 'Mercedes is the most desirable.' Of all of those cars, to me its the least desirable.

As has been said above, a 2.0TDI SB would've been available as an option at that price. And the old 'A3 hasn't changed since the mk1' line annoys me when in the company of the spot-the-difference golf and same-but-a-bit-fuglier 1 series.

Completely agree about the golf, there's almost nothing to differentiate it from the mk6!

The Merecedes looks ugly unless you go for the AMG.

What a hilarious waste of time that was.

All the A-Class "won" was the "desirability" factor. Excuse me? Desirable? Just about anyone I know would find a BMW or Audi far more desirable than a Mercedes. Mercs have an image of well built but boring cars generally driven by older people.

The merc is the only car on the list that I didn't seriously consider enough to seek a test drive.

Drove the other 3 and bought the A3.

The interior of the Merc is also totally ghastly. The screen looks totally tacked on - like someone's glued an iPad to the dashboard.

I'm sorry but who is this reviewer! What a bell-end .......... I love BMW's and I've had a few but the 1 series looks like a. 7 series has been rear ended by a z4 coupe and ugly mess was created . The new merc my step mum has one and they are so average in every aspect. The golf is good but the new a3 is the winner by a clear mile if you did a like for like test with the 4. Like said above they should all of been 2.0 tdi engines and mid range spec 5 door where possible.

Sean

Totally agree with the views above. The Merc has generally got a slating in the press and yes that dash looks like a DIY job with an ipad. I looked at the Golf when changing but was underwhelmed. The BMW well really difficult to know what to think of it, which probably sums it up, so A3 Sportback for me - it just felt right at all levels.

And another think (with risk of starting another heated debate!) what is it with magazine reviewers and their fixation with diesels. Very hard now to find a road test of a petrol version of any car. Fully appreciate the benefits of diesels (have one at the moment) but there is still a place for petrol.