JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 1.8TFSI - awful lag

Third Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Wurth View Post
    Driving the 1.8TFSI s-tronic there was no problem with the performance of the turbo once it kick in, a slight turbo gap, but as one would be expect. For me I felt it was more that initial pulling away that was very lack lustre and as somebody else reported here it was not reassuring. Could be gear ratios. I heard a six rather than seven gears was better. I could also imagine frustration when trying to filter into a busy traffic lane.I have very little experience of automatic gearbox driving so I would not know whether this is typical. I would be very interested to hear from a driver of the manual 1.8TFSI version regarding the response of the engine unsaddled with the s-tronic gearbox to establish what the issue is. Driving my previous version SPB Quattro 170 PS turbo I guess it has the extra torque available to count on.
    I remember back in 2005 when I ordered my 8P 2.0t Quattro, the dealer only had a S-tronic 2WD version to test drive, the hesitation was very apparent in this car. I ordered the manual version and there was no problem.The problem is purely with the S-Tronic gearbox, so the 18tfsi manual will be fine I am sure.

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Does the new Quattro have the same issue?
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

Third Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 97catalunya View Post
    Does the new Quattro have the same issue?
    if its S-tronic I would say yes.

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by markwiggy View Post
    if its S-tronic I would say yes.
    Not necessarily. The quattro version uses a 6 speed (presumably wet clutch) S-tronic rather than the 7 speed (dry clutch) one.

I know somebody with a VW with the 7 speed dry clutch and he's had to have the clutch pack replaced at around 3 years old, and this is a common problem apparently. It makes me wonder if they're trying to get around this issue in software, by making the box be more careful when engaging 1st gear - a side effect being that there's a delay in engagement. That's pure guesswork on my part though, so please dont take it as fact

3rd Gear

Status
    Hmm maybe I need to find a dealer with a 1.8 S-Tronic I can take for a test drive. I guess it must be the same on the 1.8 A4 auto? Although saying that I see they call it Multitronic ont the 1.8 and S-Tronic on the 2ltr. So is it fitted with a different gearbox?
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

1st Gear

Status
    The A4 doesn't have S-tronic. Multitronic is a continuously variable transmission.
    I've had 4 S-tronic Audis now - 2 with 6 speed wet and 2 with 7 speed dry boxes and have never noticed any of this so called 'lag.'
    It's down to the way you drive it and in my view a short test drive will not give a true impression.
    Drive Select also has a bearing because in Auto it has to adapt to your driving style and that doesn't happen instantly.
    A3 1.4 Sport, S-tronic, Monsoon Grey, Comfort Pack, DAB radio, Interior lighting pack, Front Rubber Mats, Model / Engine badge deletion, Service

1st Gear

Status
    A3 1.4 Sport, S-tronic, Monsoon Grey, Comfort Pack, DAB radio, Interior lighting pack, Front Rubber Mats, Model / Engine badge deletion, Service

2nd Gear

Status
    I test drove a manual 1.8T - no lag whatsoever of the type described here by the OP.

I also test drove a 1.8T S-tronic and did notice a lag when pulling out of a junction or joining a roundabout from stationary. It was in dynamic mode.

I would need longer with the car to learn how to adapt my style to minimise the lag. Have heard that a double-tap then feather of the throttle is a technique as a workaround.

However as I didn't try a 1.4 then can't compare across engines both with S-Tronic.
    Enjoying my 8V

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelmersteve View Post
    The A4 doesn't have S-tronic. Multitronic is a continuously variable transmission.
    I've had 4 S-tronic Audis now - 2 with 6 speed wet and 2 with 7 speed dry boxes and have never noticed any of this so called 'lag.'
    It's down to the way you drive it and in my view a short test drive will not give a true impression.
    Drive Select also has a bearing because in Auto it has to adapt to your driving style and that doesn't happen instantly.
    Ahh this makes perfect sense! Whoever gets to take the demo car home of an evening has prob been ordered to drive like Miss Daisy in Eco mode to make sure the fuel computer reads a high MPG to the customer.

Talking to a friend of mine that has a self adapting gearbox in his car said after his wife has been driving it the characteristics change and it becomes far less responsive for half an hour or so until it re adapts to his driving style.

Ching.... The penny has just dropped! So maybe if someone with this setup wants a good excuse to go out and rag it about for a while in dynamic mode perhaps this will answer the question? ;-)

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelmersteve View Post
    Many of the A4 models have S-Tronic, although its a slightly different box due to a longitudinal engine layout. Some models are also fitted with the CVT box. It all depends on the engine combination.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12