Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
    Reverse Gear

Status

Potential A3 owner

Hi all!

My names Mike, I'm 18 and I'm from Warwickshire (feel like I'm on take me out!)
    In September time (I'll be 19), I'm looking to treat myself for passing (hopefully) all of my accountancy exams for the year.
    I very much like the look of the A3 SB and the extra space works nicely for me seen as I'm a drummer in a fairly popular local band. I do have a couple of questions:

1) 1.8 tfsi vs. 2.0 tdi, I do about 10000 miles a year, what would your money go on? (Insurance is fine on both)

2) I'm a very techy person but which options are essential for every day use and which are more just for showing off? I'm thinking on stuff like the park assist, reverse camera, even stuff such as the elec seats, mirrors, cruise control and lights etc.

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I'd say don't get the B&O sound system! I was about to put my order in with this till I looked at the SB going the rounds and the lovely large boot I wanted had disappeared!! Takes up far too much room if you need the space!
    I am now the very very proud owner of an A3 Sportback S-line 2.0 TDI Glacier white - panoramic sunroof and privacy glass!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

Reverse Gear

Status

Potential A3 owner

Hmm....the B&O speakers were pretty much a definite for me, as I love music.

Just wondering whether the standard a3 would be big enough to fit my drum kit in (my current mk2 Clio can)

Opinions on the s tronic would be welcomed also

1st Gear

Status
    It was also for me but I could not loose that much space! I would definitely look at a car with it in before you order!

I have no opinion on stronic would never buy anything other than manual! No reason other than that's what I'm used to!
    I am now the very very proud owner of an A3 Sportback S-line 2.0 TDI Glacier white - panoramic sunroof and privacy glass!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    Oh and full drum kit in a Clio! I'm impressed lol!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

Neutral

Status
    Strange, I was lead to believe that the B&O amp is under the seat (not under the boot floor), and that the sub fits under the spare wheel, so (I think), in the model I saw, no boot space was lost at all ?

I know that Vertigo already has the B&O system in his 3 door, so maybe he can come along and comment ?

Here's a picture I found of the A3 and the B&O system

Audi-A3_Sportback_S-Line_2014_800x600_wallpaper_7c by Sootchucker, on Flickr
    Last edited by Sootchucker; 7th March 2013 at 17:02.

1st Gear

Status
    The sub is where the spare wheel would have been and also appeared to make the boot floor higher in my opinion compared to the 3 door right next to it!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    Was it the white SB with pano sunroof you had seen! Guess this was a demo car and also left hand drive may be different now! Which is a shame as the dealer told me the boot space loss would be this if I ordered the option!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

5th Gear

Status
    Vertigo1 already posted some pictures up of the sub. It sits on top of the spare wheel, so you get both the spare and the sub. The adjustable boot height is also fully useable on both settings.

I don't believe you lose any space, as I was very aware of this when I ordered it on mine.

Edit: fount it:

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1:1793307
    Quote Originally Posted by Sootchucker View Post
    Question for Vertigo1 please.

As you have the B&O system in your A3, could you answer the question as to whether the car also is able to carry a spare wheel (in conjunction with the Subwoofer), and with this combination, do you loose the double height boot floor (i.e. does it always have to be set at it's maximum height ?). Any chance you have any photos of the boot area showing the setup please (pretty please........)
    As cotball has already said, the boot floor is still the same and has the two height settings. The subwoofer sits inside the space-saver spare wheel but is flush with the top of it and doesn't protrude any higher so doesn't affect the floor panel.

Can take some pics at some point if you like
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

5th Gear

Status

(Photo pinched from Vertigo1's post)
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

1st Gear

Status
    Like I say maybe it was just the demo car but my dealer told me there would be no spare wheel and boot space would be lost! Real shame I didn't see thus forum before ordering if thus us the case!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    This#

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

1st Gear

Status

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikejefferson View Post

Opinions on the s tronic would be welcomed also
    There's a few recent (heated) posts on S-Tronic. May be worth reading through these to make up your mind.... some people love 'em, some hate 'em.

I felt the same about B&O when I ordered - if you enjoy your music it's money we'll spent.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

Neutral

Status
    less boot space with B&O system ha ha u sure u wernt comparing an a3 to the a1

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterdona View Post
    less boot space with B&O system ha ha u sure u wernt comparing an a3 to the a1

Quite sure!

like I said maybe was the one I saw but it defo took boot room away but thy may have since adapted it!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

Reverse Gear

Status

Potential A3 owner

I think the B&O is a definite for me and I will have a look for some of these heated discussions haha!

Going to my local Audi at the weekend to have an early look around... It's a bit early to decide on things but I like planning ahead on cars. I plan on keeping this one for the next few years so I want to get it right

1st Gear

Status
    To be fare I'd go for it with what others are saying but I'd say its worth a look first just in case !

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/201...07_940x671.JPG

this is how it looked when I saw it!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

5th Gear

Status
    Wow, agreed that looks different!

Kinda looks like there isn't a spare wheel or well in your photo, so it's just been stuck on top of a boot liner. Maybe that's how it's fitted to cars that have the tyre gunk instead of a spare wheel?

1st Gear

Status
    Just at bit miffed now to tell the truth as feel I was misinformed! I also love my music and until seeing it like that was gonna spec B&O!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah, that must be annoying.

Out of interest, when did you see this setup? Maybe it was an early prototype?

1st Gear

Status
    It was in December the glacier white with pano sunroof that did the rounds!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

5th Gear

Status
    Very odd! I suppose another reason could be that actually the Sportback model does have the sub on top of the boot liner (as per your photo). But without seeing it I can't think why that would be. Will see if my dealer can take a photo of my SB as I think it's arrived with him and I specced the B&O.

Neutral

Status
    does it depend on the size of the wheels? if you have smaller wheels it can't sit inside the rim of the spare?

1st Gear

Status
    Just realised this may have been a Quattro I saw maybe this is why! Still p**sed off though as the sales man should have been better informed!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

Reverse Gear

Status

Potential A3 owner

Just done a quick little spec and would be interested to here what you would add or take off:

A3 SB 1.8tfsi s-tronic s line
    Sprint Blue (an expensive option but one that I think will make what is likely to be a common car stand out)
    Alcantra/leather electric seats
    Aluminium roof rails
    Tech pack
    Interior light pack
    Non smokers pack
    Privacy glass
    Park system plus
    B&O with DAB
    Deleting of engine model & tech
    Elec. heated mirrors

1st Gear

Status
    Hi Mike,
    We were going to go for the same engine you're going for, 1.8TFSI s tronic, but did a test drive and found out straight away that it lags - when you press the foot down on the pedal, it takes a second or so before the car reacts. It has also had some bad reviews saying the same thing.

The lag put us off buying that engine. Just a heads up, make sure you test drive it first and can tolerate the lag.

1st Gear

Status
    The lag totally ruined the car for us. I'll see if I can find the reviews for you as well.

Reverse Gear

Status

Potential A3 owner

Ahh thanks for the heads up, will definitely have a test and see what I think!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikejefferson View Post
    Ahh thanks for the heads up, will definitely have a test and see what I think!
    can u post back here after ur test drive? I'm interested to know what u think too.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwilson View Post
    Hi Mike,
    We were going to go for the same engine you're going for, 1.8TFSI s tronic, but did a test drive and found out straight away that it lags - when you press the foot down on the pedal, it takes a second or so before the car reacts. It has also had some bad reviews saying the same thing.

The lag put us off buying that engine. Just a heads up, make sure you test drive it first and can tolerate the lag.

So do you think it's the s-tronic greabox that's possibly causing the lag or the engine itself?

I've had a 1.4tfsi manual in my current car for 3 years and awaiting pickup of a new SB 1.4 tfsi and never once found the engine causes any sort of lag? Nor do I recall anyone really reporting the 1.8tfsi suffering from lag?

Interesting to hear of your concerns........could the car you test drove maybe have an issues of sorts?
    A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Sport in Monsoon Grey with added extras - 5 arm 'kinetic' design wheels, comfort pack, audi sound system, storage and luggage pack, SD Satnav and Interior Light Pack.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PjDali View Post
    So do you think it's the s-tronic greabox that's possibly causing the lag or the engine itself?

I've had a 1.4tfsi manual in my current car for 3 years and awaiting pickup of a new SB 1.4 tfsi and never once found the engine causes any sort of lag? Nor do I recall anyone really reporting the 1.8tfsi suffering from lag?

Interesting to hear of your concerns........could the car you test drove maybe have an issues of sorts?
    No I don't believe this would happen with manual gearboxes.

We test drove the golf mk7 s tronic 1.4 (140) which didn't have the lag. Since golfs and Audis have the same engines, this would suggest that it's only a problem with the 1.8.

I saw a review somewhere where they say only the 1.8 has the lag problem.

However, a user on this forum posted that he had the same lag on his 1.4 (122) s tronic A1. So that confuses things.

The only way to be sure would be for someone to test drive all the s tronic A3's and s tronic golf mk7's and post back here