Jog dial on MMI wrong way around

Darren2589

Reaction score
Hi all.

My first post on the forum, and my first Audi too.
I picked up my 13 plate A3 2.0 TDI S Line midnight on March 1st. Im loving it, its everything I hoped it would be, and im looking forward to some great drives.

However, there's one thing thats driving me bonkers. The jog dial on the MMI system.

When going down a list on screen, be it Radio stations / MP3's or phone contacts list, I would imagine everyone in the known world would instinctively turn the controller clockwise. And, do go back up the list, anti-clockwise. When I say everyone, I mean everyone except Audi apparently.
For some reason they've decided to do this the opposite way around, and requires some mental gymnastics everytime Im wanting to scroll through to find something.

Does anyone know any way or some secret menu to swap this around??

Thanks in advance.

I've seen this mentioned before and frankly I've never understood it. I've always found the way it works to be completely intuitive. Maybe it's my brain that's backwards and therefore matches the way the wheel works :)

It's the same on an A1. I suspect it is the conversion from left hand drive? It would feel the 'right' way if you were sat on the other side.

I thought this exact same thing! It does seem to be the same on other audis that I've driven, so it must be designed to be back to front.

Think it has something to do with the fact that on the whole Audi build their car for LHD markets and they're adapted to suit RHD. If you're sitting on the left then turning the jog wheel anti-clockwise to scroll down a menu seems more logical. I agree it doesn't seem right when sat in 'our' drivers seat on the right side...

Dont know if its the same for you guys but our B8 doesn't have an option to change this!

I don't see why LHD vs RHD makes a difference to clockwise vs anti-clockwise.

This discussion was on the A1 Forum 2 years ago and eventually went away.
It's nothing to do with LHD or RHD - think about it.
It's just the way it is. I found it a little strange at first with my A1 but soon got used to it.

I think it's to do with the mental link between 'advancing' and 'clockwise'. You want to advance through the list starting at the top, so you turn the dial clockwise to move down it - except in this case it goes the opposite way. I don't think it will annoy me and i'm sure i'll soon get used to it!

Might it help if you try to think of the wheel as being a controller for the little scroll bar that appears on the left hand side of the track listings, sitting on the outside of the curved white line?

For anyone who hasn't seen it, there's a clip here (the track list seems to be quite extensive so the scroll bar doesn't actually move very far, but you can hopefully see what I'm getting at):

Audi A3 MMI Display - YouTube