Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

STOP PRESS: Changing my colour!

I have an S-Line Sportback on order (build week 18) and I think I'm going to change the colour - from Daytona Grey to Phantom Black.

Much as I love Daytona, I've had 4 grey cars in the last 12 years and my current A6 Le Mans is Daytona also. Quite simply, I fancy a change!

I was sitting on the fence before but now I'm fairly sure I'll change it. I had an A4 Avant S-Line in Phantom black before the A6 and although it is a pig to keep clean, I loved it.

Has anyone come across any photos on the web of a Sportback S-Line in black? I've found some spy shots of a Sport, but no S-Lines. If you have a black 3 door A3 and can post photos that would be helpful too.

As it will be launched officially in under 2 weeks, and therefore in dealerships, I will probably go and take a good look before finally deciding (been told I can leave it until early April).
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI S-Line
    Phantom Black Pearl | Heated Nappa Leather | B&O | Technology Pack | Comfort Pack | Interior Lighting Pack | Parking System Plus | DAB | Alu Roof rails | Elec folding mirrors | Mono.pur | Rear Side Airbags | Elec lumbar
    |

SOLD 2007 A6 Avant 2.7 TDI Le Mans quattro
    Daytona Grey | Leather | MMI High | Bluetooth | Adaptive Xenons | BOSE | DAB | Heated F&R | AMI | Parking F&R | Storage Pack | Visibility Pack | Interior Light Pack |

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Black is always a nice colour but so is daytona. Here are some pictures of a black A3:

Not a s-line exterior, only interior.

S-line exterior:

Not bad huh

3rd Gear

Status
    Why couldn't I spec these wheels on my S-line?

I prefer them to the standard ones.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

Reverse Gear

Status

I like it, when a car looks that good in photos you just know it looks even better in the flesh. Nice wheels too.

Zig
    Neutral

Status
    You say that you are thinking of changing the colour of your Sportback and that your vehicle is scheduled for build week 18. What is the likely date by which no changes to the order would be permitted for build week 18?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hittchy View Post
    Why couldn't I spec these wheels on my S-line?

I prefer them to the standard ones.
    If you go on the German configurator Audi Konfigurator - Modell there are all sorts of combinations that can't be ordered in the UK.
    2013 A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Sport Phantom Black

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by si8s View Post
    If you go on the German configurator Audi Konfigurator - Modell there are all sorts of combinations that can't be ordered in the UK.
    Isn't it frustrating though?

Not a great hardship to offer these wheels on S-Line in the UK. You can spec them on the sport model after all.
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 150 S-Line - Daytona Grey, B&O, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, SD Nav, Hill Hold Assist.
    2010 A4 2.0TDi 170 S Line | 2008 Golf GT Sport 140 | 2008 S3 | 2005 A3 2.0TDi 140 S Line | 2003 TT 225 | 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro

6th Gear

Status
    Can't say I blame you as I did the exact opposite - my last A3 was Phantom Black (and had two black A3s before that too!) so went for Daytona as I fancied a change myself
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

1st Gear

Status
    I've ordered the Phantom Black sportback....so I guess mine will look similar to this

Thanks for the pics

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hittchy View Post
    Isn't it frustrating though?

Not a great hardship to offer these wheels on S-Line in the UK. You can spec them on the sport model after all.
    They dumbed it down for us Brits .
    2013 A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Sport Phantom Black

Neutral

Status
    I'm a bit of a clean freak so I love black cars. Most of my back catalogue have been black and they look the bees when they are mint. I prefer Brilliant Black to Phantom - I call it a proper black - fantastic polished up.

I fancied a change this time and went for Daytona - it's an awesome colour in the flesh and shows off the lines of any model. It's also good for highlighting the extra S-line detail in the bumpers etc. That said, I had a bit of a panic on when I saw an A1 on an overcast day - quite a blue tinge to it.

Saw my car last week parked near a Phantom Black one and it definitely stood out more.

Just hope I end up with it after all !.

1st Gear

Status

Quote Originally Posted by pjedroo View Post
    Black is always a nice colour but so is daytona. Here are some pictures of a black A3:

Not a s-line exterior, only interior.

S-line exterior:

Not bad huh
    Thanks so much - very handy indeed to see it in black, I really like it. Where did you find these photos? Just wondering if there may be more where they came from!
    2013 A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI S-Line
    Phantom Black Pearl | Heated Nappa Leather | B&O | Technology Pack | Comfort Pack | Interior Lighting Pack | Parking System Plus | DAB | Alu Roof rails | Elec folding mirrors | Mono.pur | Rear Side Airbags | Elec lumbar
    |

SOLD 2007 A6 Avant 2.7 TDI Le Mans quattro
    Daytona Grey | Leather | MMI High | Bluetooth | Adaptive Xenons | BOSE | DAB | Heated F&R | AMI | Parking F&R | Storage Pack | Visibility Pack | Interior Light Pack |

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pjedroo View Post

Jeez that's a nice car. Especially in this photo, under the grey sky - the reflection comes off the lines on the bonnet just right. Glad I ordered it on mine :D Do you know if that's Brilliant or Phantom?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    You say that you are thinking of changing the colour of your Sportback and that your vehicle is scheduled for build week 18. What is the likely date by which no changes to the order would be permitted for build week 18?
    I'm scheduled for build week 11 (next week, I believe? Are we in week 10 atm?) and the last changes I made were about 3 weeks ago. They didn't affect my build date. Perhaps someone with more experience could tell you how different types of mods impact the build date - I was only adding the extended mono.pur interior and perhaps another cosmetic thing like a paint job would be in the same sort of ballpark.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by selar View Post
    Jeez that's a nice car. Especially in this photo, under the grey sky - the reflection comes off the lines on the bonnet just right. Glad I ordered it on mine :D Do you know if that's Brilliant or Phantom?
    I'm not sure but my guess is this is Phantom.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb99 View Post
    Thanks so much - very handy indeed to see it in black, I really like it. Where did you find these photos? Just wondering if there may be more where they came from!
    I'm also active on a dutch Audiforum (audiforum.nl) and we also post pictures there so that's where i got it. I posted all the pictures so no more of this car.

Neutral

Status
    Just got back from my local dealer with the intention of buying the Glacier White only to find that the Brilliant Black looks so much better in the flesh than on the configurator, similarly, whilst the Glacier White looks good suddenly everyone in my home town seems to be driving white cars!! Its like silver was a few years ago all over again, dont get me wrong I think White Audis look great but there seems to be a hell of a lot of white vehicles on the roads locally... saving the £525 also helps towards Advanced Key & Hill Assist options that were previously out of reach!!! photo (12).jpgphoto (13).jpgphoto (15).jpg
    Last edited by paul8852; 6th March 2013 at 14:02.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Totally agree. I personally think white was very modern in ..........2009 ... then Audi seemed to hype white again. Its not really my cup of tea, but i can't say it looks bad. Darker colours just look better imo.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paul8852 View Post
    Just got back from my local dealer with the intention of buying the Glacier White only to find that the Brilliant Black looks so much better in the flesh than on the configurator, similarly, whilst the Glacier White looks good suddenly everyone in my home town seems to be driving white cars!! Its like silver was a few years ago all over again, dont get me wrong I think White Audis look great but there seems to be a hell of a lot of white vehicles on the roads locally... saving the £525 also helps towards Advanced Key & Hill Assist options that were previously out of reach!!! photo (12).jpgphoto (13).jpgphoto (15).jpg
    Agreed! I live In Nottingham and every man and his dog has either got a White Audi or a grey BMW !

I have ordered a black new a3 s line and I can't wait. You can't go wrong with black. Love it.

Sean
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi guys,

I'm new here, just seen the OP looking for pictures of a Phantom Black A3. It's not a SB but thought they might help anyway.

IMG_1100.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1098.jpg
    IMG_1097.jpg
    IMG_1096.jpg

Reverse Gear

Status
    - double post

Reverse Gear

Status
    Great looking car! Do you know if this is the s-line or sport suspension?

Reverse Gear

Status
    I think it's just the Sport suspension. The car was already built and in the UK when I bought it so I didn't get the choice to add/change the options.
    The ride is pretty comfortable, however if I had the choice I'd have ordered the S-Line suspension purely for looks.