STOP PRESS: Changing my colour!

daveb99

Reaction score
I have an S-Line Sportback on order (build week 18) and I think I'm going to change the colour - from Daytona Grey to Phantom Black.

Much as I love Daytona, I've had 4 grey cars in the last 12 years and my current A6 Le Mans is Daytona also. Quite simply, I fancy a change!

I was sitting on the fence before but now I'm fairly sure I'll change it. I had an A4 Avant S-Line in Phantom black before the A6 and although it is a pig to keep clean, I loved it.

Has anyone come across any photos on the web of a Sportback S-Line in black? I've found some spy shots of a Sport, but no S-Lines. If you have a black 3 door A3 and can post photos that would be helpful too.

As it will be launched officially in under 2 weeks, and therefore in dealerships, I will probably go and take a good look before finally deciding (been told I can leave it until early April).

Black is always a nice colour but so is daytona. Here are some pictures of a black A3:

Photo%2027-02-13%2010%2014%2011.jpg

Photo%2027-02-13%2010%2014%2044.jpg

Not a s-line exterior, only interior.

S-line exterior:
img1047du.jpg

img1048ag.jpg

img1049dg.jpg

img1050lz.jpg

Not bad huh ;)

Why couldn't I spec these wheels on my S-line?

I prefer them to the standard ones.

I like it, when a car looks that good in photos you just know it looks even better in the flesh. Nice wheels too.

You say that you are thinking of changing the colour of your Sportback and that your vehicle is scheduled for build week 18. What is the likely date by which no changes to the order would be permitted for build week 18?

If you go on the German configurator Audi Konfigurator - Modell there are all sorts of combinations that can't be ordered in the UK.

Isn't it frustrating though?

Not a great hardship to offer these wheels on S-Line in the UK. You can spec them on the sport model after all.

Can't say I blame you as I did the exact opposite - my last A3 was Phantom Black (and had two black A3s before that too!) so went for Daytona as I fancied a change myself :)

I've ordered the Phantom Black sportback....so I guess mine will look similar to this

Thanks for the pics

Isn't it frustrating though?

Not a great hardship to offer these wheels on S-Line in the UK. You can spec them on the sport model after all.
They dumbed it down for us Brits :).

I'm a bit of a clean freak so I love black cars. Most of my back catalogue have been black and they look the bees when they are mint. I prefer Brilliant Black to Phantom - I call it a proper black - fantastic polished up.

I fancied a change this time and went for Daytona - it's an awesome colour in the flesh and shows off the lines of any model. It's also good for highlighting the extra S-line detail in the bumpers etc. That said, I had a bit of a panic on when I saw an A1 on an overcast day - quite a blue tinge to it.

Saw my car last week parked near a Phantom Black one and it definitely stood out more.

Just hope I end up with it after all !.

Black is always a nice colour but so is daytona. Here are some pictures of a black A3:

Photo%2027-02-13%2010%2014%2044.jpg

Not a s-line exterior, only interior.

S-line exterior:
img1047du.jpg

img1048ag.jpg

img1049dg.jpg

img1050lz.jpg

Not bad huh ;)

Thanks so much - very handy indeed to see it in black, I really like it. Where did you find these photos? Just wondering if there may be more where they came from!

Jeez that's a nice car. Especially in this photo, under the grey sky - the reflection comes off the lines on the bonnet just right. Glad I ordered it on mine :D Do you know if that's Brilliant or Phantom?

You say that you are thinking of changing the colour of your Sportback and that your vehicle is scheduled for build week 18. What is the likely date by which no changes to the order would be permitted for build week 18?

I'm scheduled for build week 11 (next week, I believe? Are we in week 10 atm?) and the last changes I made were about 3 weeks ago. They didn't affect my build date. Perhaps someone with more experience could tell you how different types of mods impact the build date - I was only adding the extended mono.pur interior and perhaps another cosmetic thing like a paint job would be in the same sort of ballpark.

Jeez that's a nice car. Especially in this photo, under the grey sky - the reflection comes off the lines on the bonnet just right. Glad I ordered it on mine :D Do you know if that's Brilliant or Phantom?

I'm not sure but my guess is this is Phantom.

Thanks so much - very handy indeed to see it in black, I really like it. Where did you find these photos? Just wondering if there may be more where they came from!

I'm also active on a dutch Audiforum (audiforum.nl) and we also post pictures there so that's where i got it. I posted all the pictures so no more of this car.

Just got back from my local dealer with the intention of buying the Glacier White only to find that the Brilliant Black looks so much better in the flesh than on the configurator, similarly, whilst the Glacier White looks good suddenly everyone in my home town seems to be driving white cars!! Its like silver was a few years ago all over again, dont get me wrong I think White Audis look great but there seems to be a hell of a lot of white vehicles on the roads locally... saving the £525 also helps towards Advanced Key & Hill Assist options that were previously out of reach!!! Photo 12Photo 13Photo 15

Last edited:
Totally agree. I personally think white was very modern in ..........2009 ... then Audi seemed to hype white again. Its not really my cup of tea, but i can't say it looks bad. Darker colours just look better imo.

Just got back from my local dealer with the intention of buying the Glacier White only to find that the Brilliant Black looks so much better in the flesh than on the configurator, similarly, whilst the Glacier White looks good suddenly everyone in my home town seems to be driving white cars!! Its like silver was a few years ago all over again, dont get me wrong I think White Audis look great but there seems to be a hell of a lot of white vehicles on the roads locally... saving the £525 also helps towards Advanced Key & Hill Assist options that were previously out of reach!!! View attachment 12166View attachment 12167View attachment 12168

Agreed! I live In Nottingham and every man and his dog has either got a White Audi or a grey BMW !

I have ordered a black new a3 s line and I can't wait. You can't go wrong with black. Love it.

Sean

Hi guys,

I'm new here, just seen the OP looking for pictures of a Phantom Black A3. It's not a SB but thought they might help anyway.

IMG 1100
IMG 1099
IMG 1098
IMG 1097
IMG 1096

Great looking car! Do you know if this is the s-line or sport suspension?

I think it's just the Sport suspension. The car was already built and in the UK when I bought it so I didn't get the choice to add/change the options.
The ride is pretty comfortable, however if I had the choice I'd have ordered the S-Line suspension purely for looks.