Anyone noticed the speedo?

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Ok so I've had my 8V for four months now and I've only just noticed that the speedo isn't linear!

Above 100mph, the graduations double in density, so the needle would move half as far for the same speed increase as below 100mph. Can't believe I've only just noticed that!

VW started it a little while ago - I think it was the Scirocco. I think this is the first Audi to be afflicted though.

As it's over 100mph, I'd like to think it wouldn't affect you too much. :busted_cop:

Oh it's not a problem, just hadn't noticed it before now.

I can see why they've done it. To make space for the temp and fuel gauges, the speedo and rev counter dials operate over 270 degrees, from 6 O'Clock to 3 O'Clock on the dial. The speedo is marked up to 160mph, presumably to cater for the S3. If the markings were linear all the way from 0 to 160mph, then the range of 0 to 70mph, the fastest legal speed in this country, would cover only 118 degrees of arc of the needle. Basically 70mph would appear at around the 10 O'Clock position on the speedo, which would be nuts.

I've had to walk outside in the cold to check my A4 as it was niggling away. It also has the speedo starting at the bottom and running through 270 degrees. 90 degrees shows 60mph, 180 degrees shows 120mph and 270 degrees shows 180mph. There's a spare 90 section on the lower right with plenty of space for a fuel gauge.

70 mph is exactly as you say so the 'usable' section of the speedo is approx. the first 100 degrees.... such a waste.

I also have to use the digital speedo in the car as 20mph and 30mph zones are nigh on impossible to gauge accurately.