Evolution... 8P - 8V

D

deci

Did these up this morning over breakfast. Think its interesting to see the changes between models. At one point in the rear morph it looks kinda like the new A-Class!

The new A3 changes aren't as subtle as the motoring press make them out to be.

rear2.gif

front2b.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: N8 and PjDali
Is the front supposed to morph aswell, as it doesnt.

It does on my browser. Try viewing the gif in a new window.

The biggest change on the new A3 is the interior rather than the exterior. I owned eight A3s (4x8L and 4x8P) and loved them all, but I don't like the interior of the latest version.

I use tapatalk to view ASN and the gif wasn't working but I looked at this thread via the browser and it then showed the gif working fine.

I'm using an iPhone

Cheers to the OP for doing this interesting seeing the differences

Looks like the car is breathing as it swells up and down. The front angles are slightly off though, the 8V is from a higher position so it slightly exaggerates the changes. The biggest change looks to be the way the fog grilles slope with the grill on the 8P but then away on the 8V, and (obviously) the fact that the hatchback now has sportback style rear lights.

Looks like the car is breathing as it swells up and down. The front angles are slightly off though, the 8V is from a higher position so it slightly exaggerates the changes.

I know. The press pics for the new car were taken at a different angle. To get a good morph both cars would've needed to be similar colour (as they are) and pictured from (roughly) the same angle. In the absence of that I did what I could.

The biggest change on the new A3 is the interior rather than the exterior. I owned eight A3s (4x8L and 4x8P) and loved them all, but I don't like the interior of the latest version.

On the other hand, when I finished test driving an 8V and sat in my present car (8P, '08), I couldn't help but notice a huge difference. The new interior feels much, much more modern, fresh, beautiful and impressive. It's much chunkier and "stronger" than 8P, at least that was my impression after 2 test drives.

great idea with the pics. Personally i like the interior and exterior. just from looking at images.
Not drove one yet so time will tell. For a small hatch back car it sure is at the top of the table.

Without getting into that argument again. I've never sat in a car in this price bracket that felt as luxurious, intuitive and quality. The interior is a massive selling point for me. I'm with dzankizakon, once i'd sat in the new A3 my much loved 8p A3 suddenly felt archaic inside - remember the last time it got a full remodel was 10 YEARS ago.

Seeing that its a hot topic.... interior evolution (or imo, revolution)

a3interior.gif

Reactions: N8
As much as I loved the 8Ps I had, the new dash looks fresh and clean in comparison.

Little details like the climate control rotary switches are a real step up in quality too.

Anyone noticed any design faults with the 8V? The armrest springs to mind in my 8P - the handbrake used to hit it every time when it was in its lowered position.

The armrest springs to mind in my 8P - the handbrake used to hit it every time when it was in its lowered position.

They fixed that - the handbrake is now just a little switch. I did not notice any obvious design faults in my test drives. Some people said that the rearview mirror (the central one) is too small - I thought it was fine.

Good work with the morphing Deci - Interesting to compare the changes in that way. I really liked the 8P interior in my 2004 car and love the new 8V even more - I never liked the A4/A6 dash in comparison.

Design faults - Yes I've got three if you include the interior mirror. A rear view mirror should show the entire rear screen in my opinion but there are edges just outside of the driver's vision creating that little niggle that maybe something is not in view. Such a rediculous and immediately obvious penny pinching cost saving by Audi...designed to make you shell out for the auto dimming version!!

The second is the daytime reflection of the silver rings on the two outside ventilation outlets in each door mirror.

Third is the way the third brake light glows all over the rear screen at night - It's the first car that I've had that I've been able to inadvertantly check that the third light is working but it's inordinatley bright...and annoying.

It's just hit me that all 3 faults are to do with looking behind me. Perhaps I should concentrate on what's happening in front!!:undwech:

I also noticed the rearview mirror prob on my test drive. Was much smaller than the 8P's which in turn was smaller than the golf's. Is the auto-dim one bigger? That's what I'm getting.

I also noticed the rearview mirror prob on my test drive. Was much smaller than the 8P's which in turn was smaller than the golf's. Is the auto-dim one bigger? That's what I'm getting.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the auto-dimming one has a thicker bezel, but the mirror surface is just a tiny bit bigger, if at all. We'd need someone with a tape measure to be sure. ;-)

If it's any consolation, the mirror in the new R8 looks exactly the same as the one in the new A3. ;-)

I can't believe any Audi drivers use mirrors..... or indicators for that matter. :undwech:

I think the new 8v is the best looking a3 to date, and the best car in it's class. I love it hence why I've bought one.

Good work on the morphs!

Sean

I am an 8L owner considering an 8V sport back. I am booking a test drive but can anyone comment on whether Audi have continued their obsession with off-set pedals on the new A3 8V as they did in the A4 and A5? They just feel strange and less comfortable on long journeys.

John.

...can anyone comment on whether Audi have continued their obsession with off-set pedals... They just feel strange and less comfortable on long journeys.

Do you mean off-set in terms of centering in the footwell, or something more technical? I'm waiting for my 8V to be delivered (not got a previous model to compare it to) but I'm wondering what I've let myself in for now...

Haven't driven one but the What Car group test indicated that the pedals were less offset than the BMW 1 Series and the Mercedes A Class if you're familiar with either of those

Do you mean off-set in terms of centering in the footwell, or something more technical? I'm waiting for my 8V to be delivered (not got a previous model to compare it to) but I'm wondering what I've let myself in for now...

When i test drove the car all felt fine, and had mine for a few months now, and can't say ive noticed any offest?? long and short journeys.

Did you notice anything yourself when test driving?

I will say when i had courtesy car from dealer , was an A5 three door, the offest was shocking !!! but saying that was used to it after a few hours. but ive not felt any offest at all in the A3.

Mark

Hi Selar,

I meant that the foot pedals on many newer Audis (and some other cars too) are off-set to the right compared with the steering wheel and more importantly the seat.

Thanks also for the other replies on this.

John.

I've got an A4 at the moment and the offset is appalling. You do get used to it a little, but in heavy traffic it always comes back to haunt.

The new A3 is fine.... it was one of the first things I checked!

Good work. I didn't think the morph of the front was working then i realised it was actually just that the car has changes so little :)

Interior morph is good as well. I know h5djr has said a few times that he doesn't like the new interior. I felt the same but my complaint was that it hadn't changed enough from the 8p, it's too much of an evolution and i wanted a massive leap forward from a car that was nearly a decade old in terms of it's interior.