Another question - Adaptive Headlights with Xenon Plus headlamps

Sootchucker

Reaction score
Sorry for asking yet another question.... lol

I'm trying to ascertain exactly what the £295.00 for the adaptive headlights buys you ? In the Brochure, it mentions that the headlamps swivel in reaction to movements of the steering wheel, but it also say this:

"navigation or speed-dependent distribution of light from the headlights for town, junction, country and motorway, adaptive works in a speed range between approx. 6mph to 68mph"

Which to me looks like the headlights change their beam pattern for town, country and motorway to suit the conditions and gets it's feed from the navigation system. Is that what this set up actually is, as the Audi main website only mentions the swivelling part and nothing about the light distribution changes ?

Anyone already have this set up and can comment ?

Well adaptive does go NESW but the newer system maybe also works inconjunction with the high beam assist camera to detect things aswell, as nav knowing if its a town, country road etc, so sounds like a cracking system for £295 mate, buy it for sure.

I think what they mean is the it is speed dependant, but it can take the speed reading from the nav system if fitted. The main left/right swivel is dictated by the angle of the steering wheel (so it shines into a corner), and the up/down will probably be defined by the road speed. There is no mention of it requiring the camera so I don't think it can be too clever.

Update: It looks like you can add the camera functionality if you choose 'Variable headlight range control' for an additional £175 on top of the Adaptive package. I think this setup is the one NHN was describing.

The up/down is governed by the boot weight, the sensors on both axles determine the movemnt of the car height front/back :)

Any factory fit xenon systems require by law the levelling system fitted.

Xenons only go up/down when the levelling systems are fitted, so apart from this knowledge of installing them, if you put weight in the boot then you can see the lights move, so that proves beyond a doubt.

Also ask yourself this, what would be the point of fitting a sensor to each axle that allows movement up/down if they wernt for this system.

The levelling sensors also wire into the levelling controller.

Also ask yourself this, what would be the point of fitting a sensor to each axle that allows movement up/down if they wernt for this system.

Also ask yourself this - would you really automatically expect anyone reading your post to even think about the existence of axle sensors, esp in a thread about lights? :blush:

Thanks for the info though - just wasn't clear if it was an educated guess like the previous two posts or if it was based on a technical document. Cheers.

Also ask yourself this - would you really automatically expect anyone reading your post to even think about the existence of axle sensors, esp in a thread about lights? :blush:

Well yes I would, if you read my post 4 before, then yes I would automatically expect anyone reading the "whole" thread to know about the existence.

Is it a full moon tonight or something?

Well yes I would, if you read my post 4 before, then yes I would automatically expect anyone reading the "whole" thread to know about the existence.

Is it a full moon tonight or something?

Steady on mate, of course I read the post I was replying to. I was thanking you for your post. I just gave you a bit of a nudge in the ribs for introducing these axle sensors to the conversation as though we should already know what they sense and where they send that information to. Telling people to ask themselves questions about things they've never heard of just makes you come across a bit... I dunno... aggressive? Anyway, I'll repeat my thanks! I'm really not here trying to start an argument.

I wasnt being agressive at all fella, just your post came across as though I was talking about something new to the thread that others wouldnt of known about, I was merely saying I had explained about this in an earlier post, no argument was even considered, so dont sweat it :)

As stated, the levelling system is a legal requirement for Xenons in the UK (and probably most other places) due to the dangers of dazzling people when the back is weighed down with luggage or whatever. You can see the system initialising itself every time you start the car, as the lights drop right down for a second, then come back up to the normal height again.

What this adaptive system sounds like is that it also adjusts the beam pattern according to road speed. How exactly is anyone's guess. I can't see it adjusting the height because the lights would already be set as high as possible without the system so it would only be able to lower them and I can't see why you'd want that. Perhaps it adjusts the spread of the light to better light up the roadsides at lower speeds or something?

I speculate the lense is motorised & it moves back/forth to change the beam spread, that would be very cool, just like the lenser torches I use.