2013 Audi S3

Snake Pliskin

Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Long time Audi owner but just found this site - better late than never eh !
Recent car history is had a 2008 3.2 litre TT, changed in 2011 to a TTS which is my current car.
Looking at placing an order later this year ... possibly for a new S3.
After having owned 2 x TT's I am ready for a change and there are times when I would like some practicality which the TT does not really give.
The new S3 looks a very nice package and ticks most of my boxes, albeit I have to see one first hand and drive one to make sure it is the right car for me.
I understand the price for the 3 door is hinted to be the same as the outgoing model, so assume £31k, which to me sounds fair.
At one point there were rumours of the price being as high as £35k which would not be so good.
My Dealer advises me that the price will be confirmed in April and Dealer demo's will start to arrive in September.
So a while yet before test drives are possible.

Spec-wise (& subject to price) I am so far thinking ...

3 door
Solid red paint
19" alloys (if available) - although I do like the alloy design used in the main publicity pics.
Pano sunroof
Black rear windows
The fancy stitched / quilted effect seats.
Full LED lights

I think the contrast of red paint / black windows / sunroof would look good and love those seats !

As there is no next-gen S3 forum yet, I assume this is the right place to post ?

So anyone else, seriously interested in the new S3.

Reactions: Lima and mj13
It may end up coming as standard but, if it doesn't, I'd add the Tech Pack if I were you. If nothing else it'll make it much easier to sell when the time comes as I'd suspect the vast majority of people in the market for a used S3 in the future will want it loaded.

Reactions: PilotAudi
Likewise, I'm keen on one.

Was planning on a '09 upwards, but struggling to fine the spec I want...

Looks like it'll be my first new car in my life :)
Still waiting on the books opening tho...

Hi there,

I am seriously interested in the new S3 Sportback. So interested in fact that I am off to Geneva Motor show in 2 weeks to see it at its official unveiling :)

There is a link below to audi S3 news article.

Regards options I havent really come up with a final list, but would probably have a fair few. The newer more sophisticated "Audi Connect" system to me seems worth waiting for. Its mentioned near the end of the article. Somewhere else on the forum build week 22 is mentioned?

Regards pricing there is a specific quote on Audi Uk news section that states prices will be no higher than the outgoing S3 despite increases in performance and equipment levels. This bodes well as how can they go against this? Here is a link to the news article which has a lot of good info on the S3.

https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/latest-news/new-300ps-audi-s3-sportback-expands-the-a3-family.html

Hope this is useful.

Hi there,

I am seriously interested in the new S3 Sportback. So interested in fact that I am off to Geneva Motor show in 2 weeks to see it at its official unveiling :)

There is a link below to audi S3 news article.

Regards options I havent really come up with a final list, but would probably have a fair few. The newer more sophisticated "Audi Connect" system to me seems worth waiting for. Its mentioned near the end of the article. Somewhere else on the forum build week 22 is mentioned?

Regards pricing there is a specific quote on Audi Uk news section that states prices will be no higher than the outgoing S3 despite increases in performance and equipment levels. This bodes well as how can they go against this? Here is a link to the news article which has a lot of good info on the S3.

https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/latest-news/new-300ps-audi-s3-sportback-expands-the-a3-family.html

Hope this is useful.

Cheers mate - yes a really good amount of info on the new car there and makes for very interesting & positive reading.

That is great that you are going to Geneva - hopefully you can take lots of pictures and give us some 1st hand feedback on the car.
Hope you have a check list of items run through with the car when you actually get to see it.

I know Audi City in London did have one recently, but that is the only one I am aware of so far in the UK.

For me, main things I am keen to know are:

* Quilted Seats - Are they comfortable and how much are they over the standard seats.
* Full LED lights - how do they look on the car (maybe the show car will have them ?)
* Pano Sunroof - some nice pics interior & exterior would be really nice - open and closed
* Alloys - are they all 18" or are 19" available and if so what are the designs

Any update on when cars are likely to hit the UK for demo would be good too, although I was advised September.

So what you driving at the moment ?

Glad there are a few of us then interested in the new S3 as will be good to compare notes as more info starts to filter through and test drives are possible.

What is in the tech pack by the way and what is the £ cost ?

Cheers mate - yes a really good amount of info on the new car there and makes for very interesting & positive reading.

That is great that you are going to Geneva - hopefully you can take lots of pictures and give us some 1st hand feedback on the car.
Hope you have a check list of items run through with the car when you actually get to see it.

I know Audi City in London did have one recently, but that is the only one I am aware of so far in the UK.

For me, main things I am keen to know are:

* Quilted Seats - Are they comfortable and how much are they over the standard seats.
* Full LED lights - how do they look on the car (maybe the show car will have them ?)
* Pano Sunroof - some nice pics interior & exterior would be really nice - open and closed
* Alloys - are they all 18" or are 19" available and if so what are the designs

Any update on when cars are likely to hit the UK for demo would be good too, although I was advised September.

So what you driving at the moment ?

Yes Snake, i hope to get loads photos and must take notebook with lots of Qs !

My local dealer reckoned they would have an S3 demo in May(ish).

I have a Golf Mk 6 SE 1.4 TSI at present. 122PS. A really great car I must say but i want something now with a lot more! Was dead set on getting the Mark 7 Golf GTI for ages (which is also to be unveiled at Geneva) but the new A3 reviews were looking pretty good and was worth a consideration and then I heard and saw about the S3 and I was very impressed indeed. I am not completely decided yet so Geneva should be interesting!

Audi on Piccadilly in London have one in at the moment in a rather snazzy blue

Hi mate,

I was also considering the new Golf GTi as a contender if I wanted to be sensible and save a bit of cash.
But the price and spec has now been confirmed and it just does not stack up for me.

New GTi is £26k
Leather extra at £1,800
Xenons extra at £1,000
Performance pack extra at £1,000

That brings the total price to £30k alone

New S3 is hopefully gonna be £31k ... and comes with 300 bhp, quattro, better spec, better styling !

The GTi a none starter for me as I hate the tartan seats so would have to have leather and will not spec a car without xenons anymore.

The GTi spec / price is wrong ... but I do REALLY like the loook of the GTi, especially in red with pano roof and 19" alloys.

golfgti.jpg

I heard about this but not in the London area, but found some nice pics ...

s3_zpsf8a4a463.jpg

188238_421846654565579_1114311458_n_zps4e5d47c2.jpg

285743_421846651232246_2025370003_n_zpsc4ff3dfb.jpg

548699_421846811232230_85768249_n_zpsafce550e.jpg

542703_421846787898899_511808643_n_zps11f6019b.jpg

535560_421846707898907_140379176_n_zps5bac0989.jpg

524946_421846841232227_1646602929_n_zpsebe0d00f.jpg

402904_421846701232241_752618751_n_zps89d8c1cd.jpg

377632_421846907898887_1227710145_n_zps14d05729.jpg

318124_421846901232221_1216974795_n_zps0dbe296f.jpg

64413_421846714565573_1455480156_n_zpsdff38e79.jpg

14025_421846864565558_2136851706_n_zps3b76c0f2.jpg

Yes Gti looks quite good thats for sure, it does have xenons as standard though, agree performance pack would be the one with that limited slip diff. tartan seats ok with me, but with other opitions like top hifi/nav i sure i would reach about £31k if not more. new info here.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-u...ti-ready-to-hit-the-road-at-geneva-motor-show

Yes S3 will be about £31k start price but with options I reckon i easily reach £37K. But as you say 300PS and Quattro and as best I can tell at the moment something that will feel so much more special.

I drove a GT golf other week and didnt like the gloss black dash trim which i think cheapened the otherwise quite good interior. I think from some of the new GTi photos that it appears to have same the same gloss black trim? - again i need to see it and S3 in the flesh to judge. Nice position to be in though - working out what nice car to buy!

Hmmm GTi UK spec has 18" wheels as standard and xenons ... that is something I guess.

Still reckon the S3 is waaaay ahead in terms of price / spec / power / 4wd though ... and I so wanna know how cool the S3 optional full LED lights are.

The Audi quite rightly should be a notch above the VW as that is the pecking order so the interior of the S3 should feel higher quality than the Golf, be it GTi or R.

Hopefully you can give us some really useful feedbakc from the motor show and compare 1st hand the S3 and GTi.

S3 will definitely have Xenons/LED DRLs as standard as well as some other toys. The full LED lights look class but ain't something I'd pay that much extra for. I think they were a £5k option on the R8!

LED lights are £1200 option on an A6 so assuming they will be around this price mark for the S3.

Agree, £5k option would be insane.

If £1.2k I will seriously consider them as they will look great and something new & different to make the car feel that bit more special.

I saw some S models whilst at a stealership yesterday . Although any of these models are out of my price range if I was going to order one then I would have to change the door mirrors , to bling for my tastes . I prefer a more stealth look .

Also why do performance cars have Red callipers , again I would prefer dark Grey or Black .

Chester

The callipers are black mate - they say S3 on them though and the logo element is red as the car badge that's all.

Have this look (and the metal wing mirrors) on my current TTS and they are quite subtle and tasteful changes in keeping with the spirit of the car.

There has to be some changes though, especially on a performance S Line / S / RS models though so as to differentiate them from other cars in the range.

If anything, I think Audi are the most restrained at this, look at the new Merc A Class AMG for example, that looks well pimped - but that may suit some people.

The S3 looks sporty in a purposeful manner, but not in the least Halfords-esque or OTT body-kitted.

Snake , did not mean to offend regarding the mirrors but IMHO I would like to have the option of having them body coloured as an option .
Could not agree more about the Mercedes , Audi have always been more low key which I like . May be they are aiming at a more youthful client base

Mind you I am 55 so am starting to lean towards Beige for everything now !!

Chester

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Toadoftoadhall
Hmmm GTi UK spec has 18" wheels as standard and xenons ... that is something I guess.

Still reckon the S3 is waaaay ahead in terms of price / spec / power / 4wd though ... and I so wanna know how cool the S3 optional full LED lights are.

The Audi quite rightly should be a notch above the VW as that is the pecking order so the interior of the S3 should feel higher quality than the Golf, be it GTi or R.

Hopefully you can give us some really useful feedbakc from the motor show and compare 1st hand the S3 and GTi.

Yes Snake the S3 is way ahead, although its not a totally fair comparison. Its just the route my car selection process has taken!

Interesting that the Audi A3 only goes up to 180 PS ( the 1.8 TFSI) so this cannot be compared to the Golf GTI really either. So the next one up for Audi A3 is of course the S3 at 300PS - thats quite a jump. You mention the Golf R, I guess that when released will be more a direct comparison to the S3 but for some reason the Golf R has never floated my boat and it may be some time before that is released in Mark 7 form anyway.

I have seen a new A3 (Sport model) in the showroom and have had an hour driving the new Golf (GT model) they are both good cars but yes I think the Audi cabin is better

I will certainly do my best to update you all after seeing these cars in Geneva!

Re headlights, dont think personally I would go for £1200 on those LED ones, I would be happy with Xenons and rather spend that dosh on other options (Bang & Olufsen upgrade; the Phone Box; or Tech Package etc - I love all that stuff) But thats the beauty of options, to have the ones that suit your taste!

Yes Snake the S3 is way ahead, although its not a totally fair comparison. Its just the route my car selection process has taken!

Interesting that the Audi A3 only goes up to 180 PS ( the 1.8 TFSI) so this cannot be compared to the Golf GTI really either. So the next one up for Audi A3 is of course the S3 at 300PS - thats quite a jump. You mention the Golf R, I guess that when released will be more a direct comparison to the S3 but for some reason the Golf R has never floated my boat and it may be some time before that is released in Mark 7 form anyway.

I have seen a new A3 (Sport model) in the showroom and have had an hour driving the new Golf (GT model) they are both good cars but yes I think the Audi cabin is better

I will certainly do my best to update you all after seeing these cars in Geneva!

Re headlights, dont think personally I would go for £1200 on those LED ones, I would be happy with Xenons and rather spend that dosh on other options (Bang & Olufsen upgrade; the Phone Box; or Tech Package etc - I love all that stuff) But thats the beauty of options, to have the ones that suit your taste!

Cheers mate, will greatly appreciate your feedback on the GTi and S3.

Will be quite exciting to see them both 1st hand won't it and fully compare them.

Also - if they have an S3 with the quilted / padded seats, be good to know how supportive they are and that they are not to "narrow" fitting, although they look fine - and what the cost extra is for them .. and other options, if any of that info is available at the show.

We'll keep you busy :)

I went to the Paris Motor Show to see the S3 last year but I couldn't get to sit in it.
I can't wait to order one. The only question is whether to go wild with the options or hold back and then splurge on the inevitable RS3.

Oh no Splathead, you couldn't sit in it! I will be really disappointed if I cant get inside it after going all that way! I hope that as Geneva is the official release they will have more S3s there. I dont mind queuing! I would say go wild with the options :)

I have been carefully going through the recent audi news item on the S3 Sportback
New 300PS Audi S3 Sportback expands the A3 family < Latest news < About Audi < Audi UK

and also going through all the information in the S3 Sportback section of the Audi Uk website
Audi S3 Sportback - Audi.co.uk

Contained with the "in detail" section is some interesting information that clearly does its job in whetting the appetite - but I was particularly interested in the wording of some the "in detail" pages that suggest some features will be included as standard. Is it just canny marketing wording or does anyone else get the same interpretation? I dont have a very good knowledge of previous S3s as to what equipment and features is likely to come as standard.

3 examples:
1. "In Detail" - Audio & Communication - Bang & Olufsen - "Some 14 speakers and a 15 channel amplifier create 705 watts of superb sound, balanced to suit the acoustic properties of the Audi S3 Sportback’s interior" - This to me sounds quite specific - could this be standard?

2. " In Detail" - Driver Assistants - Parking Aids - "The Audi Parking System plus, with its eight ultrasonic sensors, provides all-round assistance when parking the S3 Sportback. As soon as the distance to an obstacle at the front or rear is down to a pre-set minimum, you are warned of the fact by a tone signal, as well as a selective optical view in the Multi Media Interface screen. The closer you get to an obstacle, the faster the tones sound until you’re less than 25cm away, when the tone becomes continuous. The system is only activated when reverse gear is engaged.
The optional reversing camera adds to this a small camera in the boot lid, providing a 130° view to the rear, displayed on the MMI screen...................."

This describes park system plus for the S3 and then goes on to mention the optional rear camera, this suggests that the park system is included as standard.

3. "In Detail" - Safety - Integral Safety - "Vorsprung durch Technik doesn’t stop at power, performance and efficiency. We push the boundaries of safety, constantly looking for new ways to protect you and your passengers. This philosophy has been implemented across the range and has been incorporated into the Audi S3 Sportback safety features.

Audi Pre Sense basic is a comprehensive technical package for identifying dangers well in advance and intervening appropriately. It categorises driving situations as critical or as an impending collision, with the aim of preparing the vehicle and its occupants as thoroughly as possible. Pre Sense does this by networking the various active and passive safety systems into a single, integrated safety system.

Airbags - Adaptive technology improves on the original airbag concept significantly. In the event of a collision, the level of impact and the position of the seat are considered and the deployment force of the airbag is adjusted accordingly. Front and side and head airbags for both the driver and front passenger and knee airbags for the driver are available as standard on the Audi S3 Sportback.

Seat Belts - If there’s a head-on collision, the three-point inertia reel seat belts tighten to strap you to your seat more securely, limiting excessive movement caused by momentum. The Audi S3 Sportback also features seat belt reminders for both front and rear seats."

So it looks like the Pre Sense will be standard. (Other things standard - detailed in the news item are the Xenon lights, heated leather seats, dual zone climate control, storage pack)

Reactions: faisal_16
You may get pre-sense as standard as well as everything in S-Line spec plus leather, firmer suspension, slightly different styling and wheels etc.

I think B&O and the new driver assistance packages will be optional.

Thanks hittchy I may have been wishful thinking with my interpretation of some of the other info then.

Also - I just found a pdf for the previous A3/S3 brochure. That shows the old S3 standard spec as including the best sat nav/dvd/ami as part of the technology package. Also I now see they did a Black S3 version which had the upgraded Bose sound system and privacy glass.

It will be interesting to see the UK specification details in the very near future - could be later this week when Geneva opens it doors.

Price will be a major factor for sure.

If they stick to £31k as a base price then I think that will be fair ... but much more than that and a re-think may be required !

There are a fair few options I will want on this car, so if the base price is too high, they will price it out the market for me.

One other thing mate ... I am not keen on the chrome sills on the doors and windows - I wonder if these can specced in black rubber ?

Be interesting if that could be found out at the show.

If you check the Golf GTi above that has black rubber and that is more in keeping with the car IMO.

One other thing mate ... I am not keen on the chrome sills on the doors and windows - I wonder if these can specced in black rubber ?

If you check the Golf GTi above that has black rubber and that is more in keeping with the car IMO.

I wanted this on my s-line but a black styling package is not available at the moment. I asked if they could not just fit the SE spec window surrounds but was told it wasn't possible.

I wanted this on my s-line but a black styling package is not available at the moment. I asked if they could not just fit the SE spec window surrounds but was told it wasn't possible.

Don't get me wrong, it by no means puts me off the the car, but would just prefer black .. like yourself.
Strange how its not even an option ?

I know what you mean, it wasn't by any means a deal breaker but I'm not overly keen on the chrome grille.

I think they're holding it back to give the Black Edition something different and can see them making it an option on the s-line once that is released.

I've decided to vinyl wrap the grille surround and leave the window trims chrome once my car arrives. Best of both worlds as I'll get the look I'm after and it's fully reversible.

Yes it has got quite a few shiny bits! - i know what you mean although I do really like the photos of that Estoril Blue S3 at Audi City and thats with the shiny bits. That crystal effect paint really does seem to have the special look to suit a special car.
The shiny trims wont stop me ordering but yes it would nice to have choice. Yes, that will be another question for my notebook before i set off to Geneva !

Geneva is open to the press now ahead of public opening tomorrow. A few photos of the S3 appearing on the official motor show website. I was hoping there would be a few S3s on show but perhaps its only the one.

Red Audi S3 Geneva

Red Audi S3 Geneva 2

Red Audi S3 Geneva 3

Red Audi S3 Geneva 4

Nice find mate :icon_thumright:

Some good shots there but biggest news there appears to be the alloys, which I have not seen before - so that 3 designs in total now seen on the S3 ... I wonder if those are 19" ?

I say that as both the other 2 designs I have seen are 18" so that design may be a 19" option perhaps ?

They are certainly pushing the S3 in RED aren't they !

Geneva is open to the press now ahead of public opening tomorrow. A few photos of the S3 appearing on the official motor show website. I was hoping there would be a few S3s on show but perhaps its only the one.

Red Audi S3 Geneva

Red Audi S3 Geneva 2

Red Audi S3 Geneva 3

Red Audi S3 Geneva 4

Be interested to hear what colour choices there might be. Don't like the Scuba (if thats the dark blue above) and red has been unlucky for us in the past!
Price will be crucial on this one for me - and if the dealer isn't offering discounts in the current economic climate I shall be in no hurry to order.

Be interested to hear what colour choices there might be. Don't like the Scuba (if thats the dark blue above) and red has been unlucky for us in the past!
Price will be crucial on this one for me - and if the dealer isn't offering discounts in the current economic climate I shall be in no hurry to order.

The blue S3 above is "estoril blue" which is exclusive to some of the Audi "s" cars, so not scuba blue, although it looks similar.

Agree on the Dealer discounts ... if they won't give me 5% or more (which I think is reasonable) AND a sensible part-ex for my current Audi, then they can forget it.

Got shafted on my last TT which was a 3.2 litre V6 and when they sold me it was told it will hold its money really well, only to be told when I bought the TTS that the 3.2 was discontinued and hard to move on so was worth less than anticipated. I took that on the chin at the time, but I won't a 2nd time. There is no excuses why the TTS should have devalued like that.

So yeah, play ball and be fair Mr Stealer, or you won't be getting my order, no matter how busy they claim their order book is !

The blue S3 above is "estoril blue" which is exclusive to some of the Audi "s" cars, so not scuba blue, although it looks similar.

I know this is drifting from the original topic a bit so I'll be short - I happened to see a scuba blue car outside on a sunny day and while it looked alright in the showroom, the bright direct light made it look a bit like a sequin dress. I'm a bit wary of how any of the other Audi mid-tone metallic colours would look now if that was a typical example - just thought I'd share in the spirit of advice.

Looking at the options listings in the German audi A3/S3 brochure posted today on another thread it doesnt seem that Audi have been very generous with standard options for the S3. (for the german spec at least).

Unless I have misread it even a multi function Sports steering wheel is an option!

Looking at the options listings in the German audi A3/S3 brochure posted today on another thread it doesnt seem that Audi have been very generous with standard options for the S3. (for the german spec at least).

Unless I have misread it even a multi function Sports steering wheel is an option!

I tried to read through that too mate and also could not see a 19" wheel option ... all 18"
Could not see those alloys pictured on the Geneva sportback either ?
Wonder if Audi will stick to their original indications of keeping the price the same as the outgoing models too.
£31k for the 3 door would be ok, but much more and there could be some decision making to be done !

When you off to Geneva ?

GTi pics from Geneva Motor Show.
Be interested in your 1st hand feedback on this car too mate when you go to Geneva.
It does look very tasty ...

2014-volkswagen-golf-gti-2013-geneva-motor-show_100421019_l_zps049b31dc.jpg

2014-volkswagen-golf-gti-2013-geneva-motor-show_100421013_l_zpsa68d5645.jpg

2014-volkswagen-golf-gti-2013-geneva-motor-show_100421021_l_zpsa3136f3c.jpg