2013 Audi S3

The tyre pressure warning light came on just before it went bang.

Thats what lead me to suspect rapid deflation, which could've been caused by a nail or something. If the sidewalls had just spontaneously failed it would've just gone bang and the TPMS wouldn't have had a chance to sense the difference in rolling radius beforehand.

Either way I'm glad nobody was hurt and that it has been resolved, poor CS notwithstanding.

Reactions: gilesf
My S3 has now been returned and the dealer S3 collected. Swap over was a little frosty. They clearly aren't happy, neither am I really. Going to wait and see if I get a phone call over next day or so but not holding my breathe

Just examining the ruined tyre myself with my untrained eye, I can't see any marking of a puncture caused by anything in the road. Looks more like the tyre just gave way at the edge

I was rather hoping NOT to have Contis on mine... prefer Michelins if possible or the new Dunlop MAXX on our 8P at £103 each fitted are pretty good too.. 225/40/18

I asked if I could have Michellins and the response was "you get what comes on the car".

Audi customer service does leave a lot to be desired. OK, the cars come from Germany and you cant choose another tyre, but this blow out could have been really serious, you expect dodgy customer service from Ford but from a supposed "premium" car maker its very poor indeed. I had a problem with my clutch a year or so ago, took it to local dealership and they wanted nearly £900 for a new one - they said it was "driver error"! I went nuts but all they would do was to halve the cost. Its a clutch, you engage it, change gear and take your foot off, its also a Q5 so no thrashing or riding clutch, how they equate that to driver error is a mystery.

Looks more like the tyre just gave way at the edge

That does make disturbing reading. Did they let you keep the tyre? If so might I suggest showing it to a reputable independent tyre dealer? They may be able to confirm one way or the other what the real cause was. Might help put your mind at rest.

Audi customer service does leave a lot to be desired. OK, the cars come from Germany and you cant choose another tyre, but this blow out could have been really serious, you expect dodgy customer service from Ford but from a supposed "premium" car maker its very poor indeed. I had a problem with my clutch a year or so ago, took it to local dealership and they wanted nearly £900 for a new one - they said it was "driver error"! I went nuts but all they would do was to halve the cost. Its a clutch, you engage it, change gear and take your foot off, its also a Q5 so no thrashing or riding clutch, how they equate that to driver error is a mystery.

Hell, they're all the same, it just depends upon your experience. I have had exemplary service from Ford for years now...

That does make disturbing reading. Did they let you keep the tyre? If so might I suggest showing it to a reputable independent tyre dealer? They may be able to confirm one way or the other what the real cause was. Might help put your mind at rest.

The tyre was theirs, as it was their demonstrator I was given as loan car while mine had a window replaced.

Picture of the wheel in boot... The inside of their S3 demo car now has the lovely smell of burnt rubber.

IMG 00000308

I'm no expert on tyres or blow outs and punctures but I couldn't see anything in the wheel to suggest a puncture caused by hitting an object in the road, a nail for example

I'm glad they have decided not to pursue me for damages to the vehicle but to even suggest I may have a bill coming for it in the first place has left me quite disgruntled as well as the "it's your fault attitude" I experienced first thing this morning

I'd write to their head of business or Audi CS (or both) stating how dissatisfied you were with how you were treated.

I was rather hoping NOT to have Contis on mine... prefer Michelins if possible or the new Dunlop MAXX on our 8P at £103 each fitted are pretty good too.. 225/40/18

I had Dunlop Sport Maxx GTs as the OEM tyres on my 2010 Mk6 Golf GT TSI and they were terrible. Not great grip in the dry and especially poor in the wet - didn't inspire any confidence at any speed. Swapped them out for Conti Sport Contact 3s in the end which were a big improvement. Only good thing about the Dunlops, however, was that road noise seemed slightly less than the Contis. Perhaps the new spec Dunlop Maxx tyres are better?

My A3 Sportback 8V is on the OEM Conti 5s which, apart from higher than normal road noise, stick like glue.

I'd also recommend Michellin Primacy HPs - father has them on his W204 Mercedes C-Class and they are superb.

Hell, they're all the same, it just depends upon your experience. I have had exemplary service from Ford for years now...

I would agree in the main, my wife has always had good service from Ford, i've had Ford's and the service has been poor. What im saying is that you dont expect Audi to behave this way when you have just spent 35k+ on a car, its not good enough.

Guys,

I'm on the verge of ordering my S3 Saloon (as Cambridge dealer tells me I can now order). I think I've locked down my spec, but amazed at the total cost! I don't think I'll get any discount (even Drive the Deal reckons £1000 max at the moment), but welcome any feedback on the spec, approach I should take to the deal?

S3 Saloon
Misano Red
S-tronic
Comfort Pack
Adaptive Cruise
Parking System Plus
Super Sports Seats
Tech Pack
Full LED Lights
Folding mirrors
Privacy Glass

Total around £40K!

Guys,

I'm on the verge of ordering my S3 Saloon (as Cambridge dealer tells me I can now order). I think I've locked down my spec, but amazed at the total cost! I don't think I'll get any discount (even Drive the Deal reckons £1000 max at the moment), but welcome any feedback on the spec, approach I should take to the deal?

S3 Saloon
Misano Red
S-tronic
Comfort Pack
Adaptive Cruise
Parking System Plus
Super Sports Seats
Tech Pack
Full LED Lights
Folding mirrors
Privacy Glass

Total around £40K!

No b&o?!

Do you think the standard sound is bad??

Can't say I've heard the standard system but the general consensus on here is that you'll need to upgrade to at least the Audi sound system to enjoy music.

That said, if you don't listen to music that much then it's probably not worth it. It would help resale value though, especially given the high specification nature of the car.

Can't say I've heard the standard system but the general consensus on here is that you'll need to upgrade to at least the Audi sound system to enjoy music.

That said, if you don't listen to music that much then it's probably not worth it. It would help resale value though, especially given the high specification nature of the car.

OK worth some thinking then...

I see you're from Cambridge, did you order from there? Any thoughts on the garage and tips on discounts?

When I was spec'ing up my car I also went to drive the deal initially and was quite shocked at how little discount they were offering, especially considering that 3 weeks before hand I had done the same for a Tiguan and they came up with the best deal. Word of advice? Have a look at Orange wheels, they were the best broker deal I could find at the time. I would also echo Paul's thoughts on the standard sound setup and I'm sure I read somewhere that in the saloon the sub isn't in the spare wheel but rather the underside of the parcel shelf.

Last edited:
OK worth some thinking then...

I see you're from Cambridge, did you order from there? Any thoughts on the garage and tips on discounts?

Yeah just outside Cambridge.

I went to test drive the A3 from Cambridge because there were no S3's to demo when I ordered in August.

After talking to them for a while it was clear they didn't want to discount for me even when I presented my DTD quote to them.

In the end I just gave up and went to... Wait for it... Carlisle! They offered me an extra £3.5k discount over Cambridge so it was a no brainer!

Cambridge even knew that 2 family members were looking to purchase a Q5 and possibly an S8 imminently and still wouldn't offer me anything! Crazy really!

That said, what I've noticed is that the discounts offered by dealers is almost cyclical. Some will offer 8% 1 week and then 2% the next, probably depending on their ability to meet targets. As such my experiences with Cambridge could be wildly different to yours.

You've also ordered the saloon which, because it's brand new, will be quite difficult for them to justify discounting.

When I was spec'ing up my car I also went to drive the deal initially and was quite shocked at how little discount they were offering, especially considering that 3 weeks before hand I had done the same for a Tiguan and they came up with the best deal. Word of advice? Have a look at Orange wheels, they were the best broker deal I could find at the time. I would also echo Paul's thoughts on the standard sound setup.

Good advice!

Just checked orange wheels though, and they only offer £788 discount!!!

Yeah just outside Cambridge.

I went to test drive the A3 from Cambridge because there were no S3's to demo when I ordered in August.

After talking to them for a while it was clear they didn't want to discount for me even when I presented my DTD quote to them.

In the end I just gave up and went to... Wait for it... Carlisle! They offered me an extra £3.5k discount over Cambridge so it was a no brainer!

Cambridge even knew that 2 family members were looking to purchase a Q5 and possibly an S8 imminently and still wouldn't offer me anything! Crazy really!

That said, what I've noticed is that the discounts offered by dealers is almost cyclical. Some will offer 8% 1 week and then 2% the next, probably depending on their ability to meet targets. As such my experiences with Cambridge could be wildly different to yours.

You've also ordered the saloon which, because it's brand new, will be quite difficult for them to justify discounting.

Hum, thanks for that, good advice, and I expected as much. I'm already preparing myself for no discount. I also have to trade in my current scirocco, so can't really to drive the deal unless I sell mine privately so it has to be a pretty good discount to be worth the hassle.

Maybe if I want one of the first saloon's I'll have to swallow the lack of discount

Good advice!

I've just put my spec (Estoril Blue, Black, 3DR, S-Tronoc, Wakefield,Tech Pack, Interior Lighting Pack, Comfort Pack (Rear Sensors, Standard Cruise), Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Mirrors - (electrically adjustable, folding and heated), Audi Sound System) into Orange Wheels to see what discount they offer, and it came out at 7.8% off.

I'm guessing you're seeing a poor discount rate on yours due to it being a saloon as Paul said.

Hum, thanks for that, good advice, and I expected as much. I'm already preparing myself for no discount. I also have to trade in my current scirocco, so can't really to drive the deal unless I sell mine privately so it has to be a pretty good discount to be worth the hassle.

Maybe if I want one of the first saloon's I'll have to swallow the lack of discount

That's the price you pay for being an early adopter! If you leave it a month or so you'll probably get a better discount!

Good advice!

No idea with the saloon, but some of us have ordered through Daniel at Kings Lynn Audi - currently he's giving 7% on the sportback, he is worth a try - direct dial is 01553 779512.

Oh dear, sorry!

hey not your fault, its obviously too new for any dealer to be offering anything!!!

I also wonder if they are hedging their bets on the S3 Saloon as to how much demand they will get, and most UK folk seem to want the hatches?? Maybe just a guess though

Guys,

S3 Saloon
Misano Red
S-tronic
Comfort Pack
Adaptive Cruise
Parking System Plus
Super Sports Seats
Tech Pack
Full LED Lights
Folding mirrors
Privacy Glass

Total around £40K!

I got a £1975 discount for my 'ordinary' saloon from my dealership without any haggling in October. It might be the case that the S3 Saloon is very new yet. Might be worth waiting until January before you order...

I wasn't that bothered really, Sub takes up the spare wheel space, and I reckon whist I'm sure the sound would be great, the standard sound would be fine

The sub on the saloon is actually mounted under the fixed parcel shelf...

when everyone is claiming 6,7,8 and even 9% discount, are they working it on the before VAT price? (i know you cant discount VAT before someone says, its just people might be working it differently)

just might mislead some future customers :)

Carlisle only offered me £900 off an S3 sportback 2 weeks back :( they let me walk away and order with another dealer!

I got a £1975 discount for my 'ordinary' saloon from my dealership without any haggling in October. It might be the case that the S3 Saloon is very new yet. Might be worth waiting until January before you order...

You may be right, I think I have the money burning in my pocket as been waiting half the year to buy lol!

Carlisle only offered me £900 off an S3 sportback 2 weeks back :( they let me walk away and order with another dealer!

Wow, so two different experiences from Carlisle then! It seems the comments here are right, it seems like a lottery on discounts.

Have folk had any luck just ringing up sales folk for discounts? I don't think I want to visit them all!

I used a site that contacted up to six dealers on your behalf, with the spec you wanted, but you were anonymous. You could do it as many times as you wanted to. I can't remember who they were though..

Carwow?

are we not approaching end of quarter in the next few weeks? Perhaps that may make a difference if they have targets to meet.

Reactions: paullowther
you can try carwow, who give you 5 dealers that will offer youa discount, quite a good idea :)

i just emailed lots. Kings lynn are a safe bet. i tried Carlisle but as i say let me walk away. i ended up going to Crewe who were amazing and offered me a good discount more importantly to me at a monthly figure i could deal with :)

you can try carwow, who give you 5 dealers that will offer youa discount, quite a good idea :)

i just emailed lots. Kings lynn are a safe bet. i tried Carlisle but as i say let me walk away. i ended up going to Crewe who were amazing and offered me a good discount more importantly to me at a monthly figure i could deal with :)

I tried Carwow.. They were absolutely useless. I got over twice the discount percentage at my local dealer.

Reactions: gilesf
well to be fair with Carwow i got offered £1500 on an S3 sportback which for long enough was miles more than dealers.

i tried 12 dealers in all and only 2 beat carwow, so its a good fall back for people that are struggling.

also it opens up people to dealers willing to discount, you can negotiate further ;)

Carwow?

are we not approaching end of quarter in the next few weeks? Perhaps that may make a difference if they have targets to meet.

Dunno, but I might be able to find out later however I was getting offers of over £1700 discount...

Edit: Yes it was carwow, seeing as my dealership was offering me nothing, even stated to me 'no discount' they we excellent.