2013 Audi S3

Had a few conversations recently with different people about after market wheels on S and RS models, it's all personal opinion of course but the general consensus was that with Audi S and RS models - leave them as standard as possible, they are distinctive in their own right, and you risk making these flagship models looking like you're trying to make it look like a flagship model....when it already is...

Or something like that :laugh:

Then again, some of them wheels posted above do look amazing in their own right!

Audi S3 sportback ordered! :)

Brilliant black
S-tronic
Comfort pack
Electric seats
Audi sound
SD Nav
Folding mirrors

Ordered 18th Oct, just had news from the dealership that it is currently penciled in for a Week 9 build date. I hope it is brought forward a bit.. tick tock...:drool:

Ordered 18th Oct, just had news from the dealership that it is currently penciled in for a Week 9 build date. I hope it is brought forward a bit.. tick tock...:drool:

Oooh - shame. :(

Just got an update from my dealer. Ordered this week (4th Nov), build week is currently scheduled as 51 (w/c 16th Dec).
Hopefully I'll get it around end Jan.

Mine's a 3dr - maybe it's a 3dr versus sportback thing?

Oooh - shame. :(

Just got an update from my dealer. Ordered this week (4th Nov), build week is currently scheduled as 51 (w/c 16th Dec).
Hopefully I'll get it around end Jan.

Mine's a 3dr - maybe it's a 3dr versus sportback thing?

yep was told January delivery for a 3 door, March/ April for SB and I've got a week8 build date, so delivery mid March.

Had a few conversations recently with different people about after market wheels on S and RS models, it's all personal opinion of course but the general consensus was that with Audi S and RS models - leave them as standard as possible, they are distinctive in their own right, and you risk making these flagship models looking like you're trying to make it look like a flagship model....when it already is...

Or something like that :laugh:

Then again, some of them wheels posted above do look amazing in their own right!

Interesting point Johnny. However, i fail to understand why 19's are offered on the Golf R yet on the luxurious branch of the VW/AUDI group they are not offered on the S3, yet were on the RS3 where both were virtually the same dimensions, measurements and chassis.

Surely it is not a cost implication as this could be absorbed in the RRP, so?

It baffles me too!

Maybe they percieve the Golf a younger market hence adding the option for the 19" wheels, it seems Audi have no interest in styling the S3 in such a way to differentiate itself greatly from the other models, and have rather spent their "hot hatch" brief and budget moreso on the engine and new exhaust sound...

I still love the shape of the S3 and probably won't be touching the exterior with any after market mods (maybe front splitter would be nice)

I also love the standard titanium alloys, and would have only changed them to 19" had that option been available as i think the design is really unique for an S3. I guess the point i was making earlier is that i like to keep exterior things standard so that people know straight away what it is, same if i had an RS6 etc...

I know if / when i see a new S3 with big afternarket wheels on, i will instinctively be looking for the exhausts / wing mirrors to double check it's an S3..

Anyway, it's probably just a weird personal thing i have with keeping things as they should be, as i can still admire and appreciate any nice lookin alloy in it's own right!

I totally understand where your coming from.

If you HAD to choose from the previous 19' alloys displayed in the links which ones would you go for on an estoril blue S3 sportback and why? I like the giasone (rotors), amalfi then the potenza in that order. Just interested on hearing other opinions rather than they're all naff.

What splitter are you considering too?

Regards

Amalfi all the way for me mate, by a bit of a margin too!

There's no splitter available yet, but if they release one i will definitely be fitting it, i think it just needs a bit more aggression in that area!

Your reasons behind the amalfi and not the rotors or potenza Johnny?

Not the greatest pics, but these are what the dealer emailed to me, wheels have now been sent away to be powder coated black, appreciate the look of this isn't gonna be too everyones taste.

Collection looking like Friday / Sat next week

Photo 1Photo 2Photo 3

Reactions: Lmg and paullowther
Your reasons behind the amalfi and not the rotors or potenza Johnny?

Both nice alloys, but when i first saw the Potenza it reminded me of someone with their fingers crossed....weird i know...

The rotors are so similar to Audi's i would personally just go for the proper Audi ones...

The Amalfi's look new and unique to me, i love the little cut in effect on each spoke...

Maybe you could photoshop them onto picture of your configured car?

Not the greatest pics, but these are what the dealer emailed to me, wheels have now been sent away to be powder coated black, appreciate the look of this isn't gonna be too everyones taste.

Collection looking like Friday / Sat next week

View attachment 22992View attachment 22993View attachment 22994

I was actually thinking of getting my wheels power coated black too when the car arrives, think you could post a pic of it once it's done? ;)

thanks

Hi!

I'm getting ready to order S3 SB S-Tronic but have some questions...

* Can I fully disable the ESC/ESP (stability control)? (I have had some bad experiences with VAG cars not being able to turn it off...)
* Is there a delay when streaming music/sounds via bluetooth MMI 5.8" + Audi Sound System (watching movies with iPad, streaming sounds)

cheers,
Jone

Went to see my new S3 sb at the dealer today, got a couple of pictures. Thought I would post for those few others that have gone white
roll on tomorrow for pick up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 304
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 296
Reactions: RobH_S3, Lmg, Johnnyb and 2 others
Went to see my new S3 sb at the dealer today, got a couple of pictures. Thought I would post for those few others that have gone white
roll on tomorrow for pick up.
I went to see mine 3 or 4 times before I got it - found it very difficult to stay away.

Hi!

I'm getting ready to order S3 SB S-Tronic but have some questions...

* Can I fully disable the ESC/ESP (stability control)? (I have had some bad experiences with VAG cars not being able to turn it off...)
* Is there a delay when streaming music/sounds via bluetooth MMI 5.8" + Audi Sound System (watching movies with iPad, streaming sounds)

cheers,
Jone

1. yes
2. no

I doubt you can totally disable ESP. You could not in the 8P and you can't in the new Golf. Off just means reduced intervention which is very annoying when trying to drift it!

I doubt you can totally disable ESP. You could not in the 8P and you can't in the new Golf. Off just means reduced intervention which is very annoying when trying to drift it!

worrying then hen for snow conditions and whether the differentials get to work properly like a Subaru could ?

worrying then hen for snow conditions and whether the differentials get to work properly like a Subaru could ?

Not really as ESP does not do much in snow. You can totally disable traction control which can and does help in certain snow conditions.

The S3 only has a electronic diff, not a proper mechanical and/or limited slip one.

Reactions: Battlekrapz
The new (upcoming) Golf R is having ESP off, so I'm hoping it to be like that in S3...

The new (upcoming) Golf R is having ESP off, so I'm hoping it to be like that in S3...

I hope too, but very much doubt it!

Anyone who's taken delivery and can confirm?

Not really as ESP does not do much in snow. You can totally disable traction control which can and does help in certain snow conditions.

The S3 only has a electronic diff, not a proper mechanical and/or limited slip one.

how ow does the haldex function then and what are the percentage splits silky ?

nice camera, did you or do you have a dslr by any chance too

I bought a sony nex3 about 2 years ago mega cheap £180 with an sd card (I bought 2 others wich I sold at £375 each,lol) takes great pics but alas lacks a viewfinder so Ill probably upgrade to the nex6 or 7. I have a canon dslr which takes better pics with the expensive pro lens but it too bulky and I rarely use it

thats why i love the lumix kit because you can get dslr quality from a smaller form factor. have a look at the gx7 or g6 from panasonic and get rid of all the others...

how ow does the haldex function then and what are the percentage splits silky ?

Its just a hydraulic clutch really, I think on this generation Haldex it can send it up to 60% of the torque to the rear, but it only sends it once it detects front slip. Not 100% up to date on the splits as lots of different versions of Haldex.

On the subject of ESP and snow, i have always wondered whether it's best kept on or turned off in on snowy roads for best possible traction? Like trying to climb a difficult hill...

Anyone know?

On the subject of ESP and snow, i have always wondered whether it's best kept on or turned off in on snowy roads for best possible traction? Like trying to climb a difficult hill...

Anyone know?

You do know when you press the ESP button, you are turning off traction control and not ESP? Sometimes it's best to keep it on, some times its best to go with power and spin the wheels until you get up the hill. Depends on the conditions, thats why they give you the option to turn off.

No right or wrong answer.

You do know when you press the ESP button, you are turning off traction control and not ESP? Sometimes it's best to keep it on, some times its best to go with power and spin the wheels until you get up the hill. Depends on the conditions, thats why they give you the option to turn off.

No right or wrong answer.

Right, kind of confirmed what i always thought, both on and off kinda make sense in different ways...

When are you taking delivery Silky?

Right, kind of confirmed what i always thought, both on and off kinda make sense in different ways...

When are you taking delivery Silky?

In 2 weeks I hope mate! My car has been built so...

Reactions: Johnnyb
In 2 weeks I hope mate! My car has been built so...

2 weeks away is bad...

1 week away is brutal...

The night before does not require a bed...

Just sayin'

:icon_thumright:

Reactions: T3ryp, garethld and Silky-S3
2 weeks away is bad...

1 week away is brutal...

The night before does not require a bed...

Just sayin'

:icon_thumright:

LOL, I'm coming on here more and more often to get my 'fix' as pick up date looms closer!

Reactions: Johnnyb
LOL, I'm coming on here more and more often to get my 'fix' as pick up date looms closer!

its true... its amazing how little i've contributed since picking mine up :)))
and yes i think the night before i slept for only 2 or 3 hours - sad but true

It's a part myth. Some extras add to the value (sat nav for one), others add part value, some don't at all, some don't add value but will make the car easier to sell / more desirable to the people willing to pay more for the car, etc etc.

true. audi and some other manufacturers used to make me laugh when you would see a year old or demo car with so many extras on the car that its ticket price is a lot more (£000's) than a brand new one - who on earth would by it? only an idiot, someone with more money than sense or impatient person I guess. for me to even bother with some demos where the ticket is about £35K, id want a min £7K off and theres no way theyd do that

I was looking at buying a year old one but it just wasn't worth it, so I bought new to save money - I think there is some logic there, but im struggling

ordered same day as mine and build week same as mine - don't you just love the german consistency. if only they could speed up a bit but as long as they don't compromise.

Am I correct in that usually its about a 3 week turn around time from build week to me picking it up. appreciate this may vary depending on lots of factors like shipping and how quick/busy the dealer is.